Fresh Seahawk QB news

HawkWow

Reaction score
aawolf":3pg10dzv said:
The answer is in the draft...EJ Manuel in the fourth round.

That's the problem with the 12 draft (plus Kaep). Traditionally, I'd expect Manuel to be there in the 4th (maybe not 25th in the 4th but....) but after the league witnessed an assload of wins by these rooks (plus Kaep), I won't be shocked if Manuel is gone by the time we pick in the 3rd (or even 2nd). Great idea though...if he was sitting there when we pick in the 4th, we'd have to take him.

HawkWow

Reaction score
SharkHawk":1rqlwvqu said:
T-Jack sucked. He took an awful offense and only squeezed as many wins out of it as Ring of Honor man Matt Hasselbeck. What a LOOOOOOSER. Some people need to lighten up. He's not Johnny Unitas, but he's not Art Schlicter either. He's a competent backup QB that is tough as hell and a good teammate. I didn't see Russ miss any snaps last year except when we were blowing people out. I think T-Jack and Russ would work well together. Who knows... maybe Russ could even teach T-Jack a thing or two. Guys have been known to pick things up when around supportive teammates. Many NFL QB's don't hit their peak for many years. I heard plenty of guys whine and gripe endlessly when their beloved 49ers gave up jack and squat for Steve Young the "run first turnover machine of Tampa Bay". Some guys need better coaching, better teammates, better situations, and they do fine. I'd love to have T-Jack back for the record, because I think he'd be a good influence on Russ. How? Because he wouldn't be pressuring him to be the starter. He'd be a supportive backup and help carry the load as a team leader because the team already respects the heck out of the man. Leadership is good. Even if it's coming from your second stringer, because he leads the 2nd's and preps them for action when needed. Next man up is prepared, because they play with a leader in practice.

T-Jack was (and is probably worse now) just too frikin indecisive. Easy for me to sit here as the Monday morning QB, but watching T-Jack run the offense, despite the wins, was excruciatingly painful. He was a tough guy but not much more.
I pray we never stop bringing in guys that will pressure our starters. In his football life, I sincerely doubt there was many years RW didn't feel (tremendous) pressure. The results of that pressure speak for themselves and I know I'm not telling you anything you don't already know.

kearly

Reaction score
aawolf":slx69lhv said:
The answer is in the draft...EJ Manuel in the fourth round.

If he lasts that long, definitely. I think Manuel will be a surprise pick in the 2nd round though (not by us, obviously). He's basically this year's Colin Kaepernick.

Anyway, assuming the Seahawks don't sign available undrafted players with mobility from last year (Zach Collaros, Darron Thomas)- if they wanted to they probably already would have- here are some options that I know of in the 2013 offseason for mobile QBs:

Free Agency:

T-Jack
Vince Young
Jason Campbell
Seneca Wallace (lol)
Chase Daniel (solid mobility, short, smart, reminds me of Case Keenum or Austin Davis from last year)

Mid to late round NFL Draft:

EJ Manuel (if he lasts that long) (he won't)
Matt Scott (a favorite of mine, but a few teams are interested in him)
Collin Klein (the closest thing this year to Tim Tebow)
Denard Robinson (more Antwaan Randle El than a true QB, but Seattle will probably draft him anyway)
Jordan Rodgers (brother of a very famous NFL QB)

It's not a long list. Wouldn't be surprised if Seattle or some other team pulled the trigger on Matt Scott in round 4 or 5, as this is a pretty weak year for mobile QBs.

King Dog

Reaction score
Surprised we didn't sign Josh Johnson when we brought him in. Seems like a good fit for backing up Wilson and would have been cheap.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Spokane":1h4p38ew said:
BINGO, Tebow would be the answer! But at what price? Tim's skill set is the same as Wilson!

Except Wilson can actually throw and is a real QB.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
SharkHawk":kxb95vel said:
T-Jack sucked. He took an awful offense and only squeezed as many wins out of it as Ring of Honor man Matt Hasselbeck. What a LOOOOOOSER. Some people need to lighten up. He's not Johnny Unitas, but he's not Art Schlicter either. He's a competent backup QB that is tough as hell and a good teammate. I didn't see Russ miss any snaps last year except when we were blowing people out. I think T-Jack and Russ would work well together. Who knows... maybe Russ could even teach T-Jack a thing or two. Guys have been known to pick things up when around supportive teammates. Many NFL QB's don't hit their peak for many years. I heard plenty of guys whine and gripe endlessly when their beloved 49ers gave up jack and squat for Steve Young the "run first turnover machine of Tampa Bay". Some guys need better coaching, better teammates, better situations, and they do fine. I'd love to have T-Jack back for the record, because I think he'd be a good influence on Russ. How? Because he wouldn't be pressuring him to be the starter. He'd be a supportive backup and help carry the load as a team leader because the team already respects the heck out of the man. Leadership is good. Even if it's coming from your second stringer, because he leads the 2nd's and preps them for action when needed. Next man up is prepared, because they play with a leader in practice.

The only thing T-Jack squeezed was losses out of should be wins. There wasn't a single game that year you can reference as T-Jack being the reason for the win and way to many losses that can be directly blamed on him. We ended up having one of the easiest schedules in years and not just because of strength of schedule but because we faced teams at just the right time when thay were forced to play their back up. Our defense was top ten and our running game the second half was best in the league. Comparing T-Jack that year with that team to Matt the previous year is incredibly bias but for what reason I don't know. One guy gets labeled tough because he stood in the pocket way to long and took tons of hits and played through a torn (or was it just strained? He never requird surgery) peck while the other guy played with two broken ribs. One guy couldn't muster a single come from behind win even with a defense that kept the score low and the other guy took us to a super bowl. One guy played here one year and the other guy was the face of our franchise and in the ROH. I really don't get what the desire to hoyst Jackson over Hasselbeck. It makes no sense at all to me.

How many offenses does it take to realize it may not be the coaching? T-Jack has been through three now. One for seven years and couldn't execute the play book. Once in a new system he couldn't even beat out the 2nd sting guy and that was what he was brought in to do. Zero active games, zero. Obviously the guy is the problem and not the coaching.

Why do you think he would be a good influence on Wilson? What evidence is there to support that? Just because players didn't openly complain about him doesn't mean they seen him as a leader. It just means they didn't hate him. Teams devote unrealistic amounts of support for whoever their QB is and this team has yet to have anyone go public about another player. Pete gets those types out of here fast.

If you want evidence of a QB who supported his replacement, take a look at Tennesee. Matt worked with Locker before during and after he became the starter. He was the shining example of exactly what you believe Jackson "might" do. If you want that characteristic in a veteran backup QB then you are making the argument to bring back Matt, not T-Jack.

You often have good insight into the NFL so please explain to me how Jackson is a competant backup but couldn't beat out anyone on the Bills roster. A roster filled with crap QBs. Why was he so easily discarded here in Seattle? Flynn and Wilson both took less than an offseason to beat him out so what evidence is there to support him being a competant backup? So far there is more evidence to support that he is not. Put him in a new system and he fails and if he had to play on a team without a top defense and running game, he would be exposed for what he really is. Incompetant. Why would you think anything else?

That John got even a 7th rounder for him should have made him executive of the year alone.

pinksheets

Reaction score
TJack has been in 2 offenses. He followed Bevell.

Flynn has been in 2, couldn't beat out either guy, and has reportedly been a grump on the sidelines. And that's your boy. I'm a lot more comfortable with TJack back there as moral support than a butt hurt dude who either can't catch a break or just isn't as good as people think he is. If you think it's entirely coincidental that the conditional trade to Buffalo w/ TJack had to do with him being active on the roster and Buffalo never activating him, that's you, but I think he'd be a fine guy to have sitting behind Russell if we can even squeeze a late round pick out of a guy like Flynn and save even a dollar in cap space.

I definitely agree that Matt would be absolutely stellar behind our run-blocking line that requires a QB to make plays with his feet, there's no amount too small to pay him. Man, Rich, you love those backups from Green Bay, don't ya? :p

birdman5

Reaction score
Sorry, don't know if he has been mentioned, but do you think the Raiders could be persuaded to let loose of Terrelle Pryor?

McGruff

Reaction score
I like the idea of looking to Canada . . . But at also like my idea of making a phone call to Troy Smith. He's been maintaining his skills in the last year out of football.

OP
OP
S

Spokane

Reaction score
Throwdown":3kjhp2cp said:
Spokane":3kjhp2cp said:
BINGO, Tebow would be the answer! But at what price? Tim's skill set is the same as Wilson!

I have heard the phrase "being real gets you hated" But lets be real for a minute.

"Except Wilson can actually throw"
Wilson was great at TD's, the man even tied the rookie record...that is freaking amazing!
But the hawks were 27th in passing yards. Yeah he only got 189 yards a game - and no game over 300 yards during the regular season. Those numbers suck at the NFL level, I mean really sucks! If he did not have those TDs, Flynn would have been in there pretty fast.

Tebow got over 300 yards in only his 3rd game as a rookie, So lets be real and not just mimic what ESPN says. Do the research and speak so you can have creditability.

"and is a real QB"
Again you are mimicking ESPN. What position did he play in High school? College? NFL? QB? Yes. Here is the question you have to ask...When was the last time a guy spent his life as a QB and you or ESPN said "He is not a QB"? It has never happened and it will never happen again. If you disagree just look in the past at QBs that you have said "He is no QB" Not even Michael Vick got that crap. You have got sucked into an agenda, and now you are a poster board for something you know is wrong. Be real not a puppet.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Those of you dreaming about T-Jack backing us up, it's not going to happen:

Adam Caplan ‏@caplannfl
Bill re-signed QB Tarvaris Jackson, according to @ChrisBrownBills.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Interesting if the Bills resigned Jackson. I wonder what that contract looks like. Is Thigpen still under contract too? Who makes more?

I get the feeling Jackson and Thigpen will battle for the backup spot and the loser gets released. Maybe they thought Tyler had a better grasp of the offense for last season so they stayed with him because you don't give up even a conditional pick for a guy on the last year of his contract and then don't activate him all season. This will be interesting to see how it unfolds.

lukerguy

Reaction score
Throwdown":mdo2tgyd said:
If Tahj Boyd slips? maybe? Matt Scott? thats just the draft though...

Josh Portis is still out there... :)

Huh?? Boyd is returning to school.

tooshort

Reaction score
Spokane":3b6qjbsv said:
Throwdown":3b6qjbsv said:
Spokane":3b6qjbsv said:

I have heard the phrase "being real gets you hated" But lets be real for a minute.

"Except Wilson can actually throw"
Wilson was great at TD's, the man even tied the rookie record...that is freaking amazing!
But the hawks were 27th in passing yards. Yeah he only got 189 yards a game - and no game over 300 yards during the regular season. Those numbers suck at the NFL level, I mean really sucks! If he did not have those TDs, Flynn would have been in there pretty fast.

Tebow got over 300 yards in only his 3rd game as a rookie, So lets be real and not just mimic what ESPN says. Do the research and speak so you can have creditability.

"and is a real QB"
Again you are mimicking ESPN. What position did he play in High school? College? NFL? QB? Yes. Here is the question you have to ask...When was the last time a guy spent his life as a QB and you or ESPN said "He is not a QB"? It has never happened and it will never happen again. If you disagree just look in the past at QBs that you have said "He is no QB" Not even Michael Vick got that crap. You have got sucked into an agenda, and now you are a poster board for something you know is wrong. Be real not a puppet.

here's an easy qualifier of "can't throw and isn't a real QB"

Tim Tebow in 15 career starts has 12 games at or UNDER 50% completion percentage and a whopping ONE game over 56% with a total career average of 47.9%

Argue away for the reality of those numbers representing a "real" qb :pukeface:

Throwdown

Reaction score
lukerguy":268dcfjl said:
Throwdown":268dcfjl said:
If Tahj Boyd slips? maybe? Matt Scott? thats just the draft though...

Josh Portis is still out there... :)

Huh?? Boyd is returning to school.

Well excuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuse me, miss priss! I haven't been paying attention at all this offseason, too wrapped up in this Sonics crap.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Spokane":3u102hnr said:
The big question is who has the same skill set as Wilson? And at what price? Maybe the draft again.
I've grown to expect the unexpected out of Pete Carroll & John Schneider, so I'm not going to be surprised if they find a QB in the 4th to 6th round of the Draft, that everyone else around the League considers a wasted pick, only to find him an absolutely shoulda been a first round pick :16:

scutterhawk

Reaction score
pinksheets":9cj4t4nc said:
TJack has been in 2 offenses. He followed Bevell.

Flynn has been in 2, couldn't beat out either guy, and has reportedly been a grump on the sidelines. And that's your boy. I'm a lot more comfortable with TJack back there as moral support than a butt hurt dude who either can't catch a break or just isn't as good as people think he is. If you think it's entirely coincidental that the conditional trade to Buffalo w/ TJack had to do with him being active on the roster and Buffalo never activating him, that's you, but I think he'd be a fine guy to have sitting behind Russell if we can even squeeze a late round pick out of a guy like Flynn and save even a dollar in cap space.

I definitely agree that Matt would be absolutely stellar behind our run-blocking line that requires a QB to make plays with his feet, there's no amount too small to pay him. Man, Rich, you love those backups from Green Bay, don't ya? :p
You mean like, MATT, HASSELBECK?

Latest posts