Free agent TE rumors...for Seahawks

northseahawk

Reaction score
This team tends to make one stupid singing every year. So this year I think will be giving a TE 10+ million.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
northseahawk":28b34ml4 said:
This team tends to make one stupid singing every year. So this year I think will be giving a TE 10+ million.

First off think you mean SIGNING and secondly, who was our stupid signing last year? Re-upping Sherm and Earl? Getting Kevin Williams at the last minute?

scutterhawk

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":ukw8mvhl said:
I trust Pete and company to make the right choice, they know a hell of a lot more than any of us. Not every move works, that's how it goes. But more often than not, this team has a real solid eye for talent. Along with the ability to find guys that fit into THEIR system.
This ^
In a nut shell, we can all speculate 'til the cows come home, but the reality is, we don't have the inside know that John Schneider, Pete Carroll, and our other position Coaches have.
It's fun to put a team together without having to account for 1. Availability --- 2. Money --- 3. The desire/health/age of other players that would even want to play for the Seahawks ---4. Do they Fit, and do they buy in to Pete's Mantra of "Always Compete".
There are a lot of variables that have to be taken into consideration for player acquisition.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
He is not a free agent because he is still in school but Baylor has a monster TE to keep an eye on. 6' 7" and 310 with great hands.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Here's why he'd be different to Percy.

Teams know they have a chance to shut down Seattle's offense by stacking the box and selling out to stop Lynch and pressure Wilson. They aren't worried about getting burned in 1v1 coverage.

You put Thomas on the field line him up at TE and then split him out wide. The other team has to take a linebacker out of the box, or the strong safety. And the best thing is it isn't just a decoy. Thomas is a 250lbs wide receiver. You could throw it out there.

You can even run 11 personnel to keep the extra blocker in there if you want. If he doesn't split wide he can run the seam and create a mismatch.

Getting a TE like this take attention away from the pressure on our OL and demands extra coverage or consideration. Remember how uncomfortable you were watching KJ or even Kam lining up vs Gronk? Imagine seeing other teams squirm like that. It's what you get from this.

Then imagine if they got a really good receiver at #31 or #63 too. This could be some offense.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Put Thomas and Willson on the field at the same time, and our O would be that much more lethal running or throwing. Similar to what Stanford did for years with Luck and his TE.

HawkMeat

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":2p4m2ql4 said:
Thomas would be a fantastic signing.
I feel this way too. The only bad feeling I get is from a quote from a player that stated his heart is not in football, just for the money. I don't think a name is attached to the quote so it means little, but enough to make me sorta uneasy.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Basis4day":29fwi0sd said:
Hawk-Lock":29fwi0sd said:
Hawkfan77":29fwi0sd said:
Think about an opposing defense having to worry about the threat of Lynch, the threat of Russell taking off and running and now adding the threat of Thomas running a seam route? That's an absolute nightmare for them and would be incredible for us.

I just had to comment on this....your post reminded me so much of when we got Percy.

Every Seahawk fan....."Can you imagine how much defenses will have to worry about Lynch, Russ throwing or scrambling, and then Harvin on the outside!"

But yes, i agree, Lynch, Wilson + JT would be pretty lethal. Ideally we would like to get a WR on the outside to open things up even more.

Stole my response.
Thomas stretches the field, Percy did not and we didn't use him that way.

kobebryant

Reaction score
northseahawk":3vrhscwh said:

Ironic use of the word stupid.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":pbikgyxw said:
Basis4day":pbikgyxw said:
Hawk-Lock":pbikgyxw said:
Hawkfan77":pbikgyxw said:
Think about an opposing defense having to worry about the threat of Lynch, the threat of Russell taking off and running and now adding the threat of Thomas running a seam route? That's an absolute nightmare for them and would be incredible for us.

I just had to comment on this....your post reminded me so much of when we got Percy.

Every Seahawk fan....."Can you imagine how much defenses will have to worry about Lynch, Russ throwing or scrambling, and then Harvin on the outside!"

But yes, i agree, Lynch, Wilson + JT would be pretty lethal. Ideally we would like to get a WR on the outside to open things up even more.

Stole my response.
Thomas stretches the field, Percy did not and we didn't use him that way.

Its the same argument so many made with Percy. The jet sweep read option with Lynch up the middle and Lockette and Richardson running go routes on the outside to stretch the field would make the Hawks offense unstoppable.

That was the "nightmare" scenario thought of by fans. Thomas next year is the same argument.

Having a threat at TE would be great, but lets be realistic. No team is unstoppable.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Basis4day":bz53pzj2 said:
Its the same argument so many made with Percy. The jet sweep read option with Lynch up the middle and Lockette and Richardson running go routes on the outside to stretch the field would make the Hawks offense unstoppable.

That was the "nightmare" scenario thought of by fans. Thomas next year is the same argument.

Having a threat at TE would be great, but lets be realistic. No team is unstoppable.
I'm not sure what you're arguing. I never said we'd be unstoppable I said itd be incredible. You're bringing Percy into this because of something someone else said 2 years ago. Thomas would be great for our offense, why is that so wrong to say?

chris98251

Reaction score
Actually we need a guy that will be inside and do the dirty work and be a threat, we have pass catching TE's already, we need a duel roll guy that can be a additional blocker, well unless you want to telegraph whats going to happen by bringing in Gilliam every time.

McGruff

Reaction score
JMO but I think Willson has grown by leaps and bounds as a blocker to where he is now above average in that area,

Unfortunately the effort exerted seems to have effected his hands :(

Hawks46

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":3iink8sf said:
Here's why he'd be different to Percy.

Teams know they have a chance to shut down Seattle's offense by stacking the box and selling out to stop Lynch and pressure Wilson. They aren't worried about getting burned in 1v1 coverage.

You put Thomas on the field line him up at TE and then split him out wide. The other team has to take a linebacker out of the box, or the strong safety. And the best thing is it isn't just a decoy. Thomas is a 250lbs wide receiver. You could throw it out there.

You can even run 11 personnel to keep the extra blocker in there if you want. If he doesn't split wide he can run the seam and create a mismatch.

Getting a TE like this take attention away from the pressure on our OL and demands extra coverage or consideration. Remember how uncomfortable you were watching KJ or even Kam lining up vs Gronk? Imagine seeing other teams squirm like that. It's what you get from this.

Then imagine if they got a really good receiver at #31 or #63 too. This could be some offense.

Well, the other two differences are that by all accounts Thomas isn't a locker room cancer, and Thomas can run routes and integrate himself into your offense. You don't play with Peyton Manning and not be able to run routes. Percy demanded an offense for himself.

My problem goes back to passion for the game, and if he gets nicked up, he won't play. All these mismatched and personnel groupings are wonderful, but if you can't keep the guy on the field....well we're back to Gordon and DGB where we have potential but no production. And yes, Thomas seems a hell of a lot more durable than that, but there has to be something to the rumors and the fact that he's all about the money. Denver is a contending team, you only have about 5 shots at landing on a better team and not many of them have a ton of cap room.

Hawks46

Reaction score
brimsalabim":365navy9 said:
He is not a free agent because he is still in school but Baylor has a monster TE to keep an eye on. 6' 7" and 310 with great hands.

I just read about that. The guy is actually 6'9" and weighs 410, not 310...LOL.

He's an offensive guard they put in at TE and he scored an 18 yard TD in their bowl game. He may not be attacking the seams deep down the field, but I'm not sure how the hell you can keep him from getting the ball within 10 yards of the LOS, and then find a way to tackle him without getting hurt.

I played against a 6'6" TE that weighed 300 lbs in High School. Dude was slow as hell, but I'm only 6' and he was the only TE that caught a pass in my hook zone that year. If the pass was high enough and accurate, I literally couldn't stop it being 6' with a 38" vertical. Then I could "tackle" him which was getting him down once, then the rest of the time just stopping him and praying for help from my buddies. I honestly can't imaging trying to tackle 6'9" and 410.

Latest posts