Franchise Geno

massari

Reaction score
Mahomes managed to score 43 on the 49ers with less weapons than Geno has. In all fairness he does have Creed Humphrey in the IOL though ;)

If the Hawks were blown out by Mahomes or Allen last night, people would be demanding a high pick on a QB. È così!

Pass rushers AND a QB early is the perfect scenario as long as they're the BPA. The new QB can develop behind Geno until he's ready, like Mahomes did behind Alex Smith.

rjdriver

Reaction score
I think, considering age, Geno might not demand what everyone thinks in the open market. I think you let the rest of the season play out, scrutinize his play these last three games, and then formulate a plan.

I like Geno. I'm happy for him and he has more than exceeded my expectations. That being said, if his second half of the year performance continues, he's not worth the money I saw floating around earlier in the season.

In other words, I think his latter part of the year numbers could be replicated by a more cost effective option. If he starts balling out again or is willing to accept a home team discount, then by all means, let's talk about securing him up for the next 3 years.

Msfann

Reaction score
I think he's taking a lot of hits and the line needs to get fixed. It seemed like every time he had the ball snapped to him there was already someone right in his face that busted through our line, basically the same problem this team has had forever.

rjdriver

Reaction score
I think he's taking a lot of hits and the line needs to get fixed. It seemed like every time he had the ball snapped to him there was already someone right in his face that busted through our line, basically the same problem this team has had forever.

Just a byproduct of starting so many rookies on the O-Line in this league. I expect the offensive line to improve organically as the youngsters adapt to the pro game and get stronger.

While I agree with your statement, our draft capital HAS to be spent exclusively on the defensive side of the ball. Particularly the line.

nsport

Reaction score
As ordinary as Geno Smith is, this would not be a terrible idea if the math worked out. I absolutely don't want him on a multi year deal. The fact remains, he is not a difference maker and I would be a fan of letting him walk if he didn't take a cap friendly deal.

flv2

Reaction score
Tag him if you think he's worth near the franchise tag figure or you think another team will give up a mid/low pick for him in a tag and trade. I wouldn't want to retain him at $30M+, but I could see another team being prepared to give up a mid/low pick if he'd sign a 3+ year extension with them. The Seahawks ought to be active in 2023 free agency so a compensatory pick would likely be cancelled out.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
Franchising a player such as a QB severely handicaps what you can do with the salary cap I would rather give him an incentive based contract with base money being $15-25 million with an opportunity to make more

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Because of Genos age, I would not franchise him or give him a large contract. I would try to trade him for a great De or Dt.
The only way to trade Geno is to trade him almost immediately... because after three more games as our QB, he's an Unrestricted Free Agent.

Chuckwow

Reaction score
I hope i've not said this too many times but I'd REALLY like to see Lock get in some meaningful reps before we commit to anything or anyone. And that includes the draft (or at least some of it).

What would be the downside? We might not make it to the SB? Geno might come up short of MVP honors thus jeopardizing his shot at the HOF?

Unless the FO is positive Lock is NOT the guy, to me this is just irresponsible management. The SB is out for this year and probably next year as well. We know who Geno is by now and with Lock just 26 yo, if he's not the future at QB, and I'm not suggesting he is, we'll need to draft a QB and start grooming him like post haste.

I don't think we can afford another draft where Pete and John draft (let's say) the Old Dominion QB in the 6th so they can feel like they're the smartest guys in the room.

Defense is top priority, no doubt, but IF it's known Geno is all we have at QB, we should be looking for his replacement with one of our top 4 picks. He played for a craptastic team with a mediocre coach, but if we can let him sit and learn for a year or two, Tanner McKee, IMO, could be a day 2 steal.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
I think we should let him test the market. I'm not convinced the market will be as strong as some think it will be. If it gets too pricey roll with Lock and take the 3rd round comp pick.

Latest posts