Football Outsiders offensive line continuity scores

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Moffitt is a big disappointment for me. He stood out as so nasty in college, and there hasn't been much of that. He is athletically pretty limited, in space he looks like he is doing a forklift imitation.

Sweezy pass protects like he is playing defense. Lunges a lot. But he might be the most athletic guard in the league, and is pretty fun to watch in space run blocking. I hate predicting 2nd year improvement, but considering he never played OL before last year, he is the guy I would look to see make the biggest improvement from last year.

I feel bad about wanting Breno replaced, I like his kick ass attitude so much. But simple logistics say he will be gone, we need his cash next year, and his deal is over after 2013. I lean towards a RT with the 58th pick.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Scottemojo":15n3f90g said:
Moffitt is a big disappointment for me. He stood out as so nasty in college, and there hasn't been much of that. He is athletically pretty limited, in space he looks like he is doing a forklift imitation.

Sweezy pass protects like he is playing defense. Lunges a lot. But he might be the most athletic guard in the league, and is pretty fun to watch in space run blocking. I hate predicting 2nd year improvement, but considering he never played OL before last year, he is the guy I would look to see make the biggest improvement from last year.

I feel bad about wanting Breno replaced, I like his kick ass attitude so much. But simple logistics say he will be gone, we need his cash next year, and his deal is over after 2013. I lean towards a RT with the 58th pick.

If we could get a plug and play RT @ 58th. That would be awesome. I don't mind Breno, but I'd like to see a young buck push him this year. I think his spot is the most upgradeable.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
I still remember way too many plays in which Wilson had 10 whole seconds behind the LOS without even needing to scramble. A lot of the late-season pass pro issues were against secondary blitzes, which is difficult for any O-line to handle and which is a big gamble for the defense.

SE174

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1samk64v said:

Made me LOL. :lol:

themunn

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2u104h12 said:
I still remember way too many plays in which Wilson had 10 whole seconds behind the LOS without even needing to scramble. A lot of the late-season pass pro issues were against secondary blitzes, which is difficult for any O-line to handle and which is a big gamble for the defense.

Indeed the line really pulled together towards the end, and Wilson really struggled against the blitz right through until the Atlanta game where he discovered Miller will always be available

themunn

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":j4fp28yz said:
Also, the way Moffitt jokes around in the M-Rob videos, I love his personality but it's hard not to wonder when he makes comments like "I don't know how I'm in the NFL, I have no skill" if he's serious about his job, or not.

That's definitely not what he says and you're misunderstanding him.

He says things like "just two pieces of **** made it to the league who should never be here" and "a guy like ME in the NFL".

He's referring to the fact that he's a total loonball and doesn't fit the mould of what you'd expect of an NFL player.
There's not a player on the team that doesn't think he's good enough to be in the NFL... confidence in your ability is the number 1 trait Pete Carroll looks for in his players.

sprhawk

Reaction score
Wilson was simply amazing last season no doubt. I was so convinced we were doomed early last season due to Wilsons height and the sad state of our OL. At first I thought Wilson was getting lucky (which he did on a few occasions) but week after week he found a way. He is amazingly accuracte while he is mobile. I remember a few plays where he failed to see a wide open WR :shock: but that happens to all QB's occasionally. I'm in.

I was worried teams would figure out that he has to roll out in order to see the field and start containing the edge and collapsing the pocket. And try they did but Wilson proved to be quick enough to escape and make something out of nothing. I remember Favre making risky plays (and Hass without as much success in his early years). At first I thought Turnover City would be making a return to Seattle but Wilson has proven to take care of his football. Smart :th2thumbs: That play where everyone thought it was busted and somehow Wilson found ex Duck Tuinei comes to mind.

kearly

Reaction score
Scottemojo":72wno078 said:
Was it the 6 sacks we gave up vs the Rams, the constant pressure in the Skins game, or the horrendous pass blocking in the first half vs the Falcons that led you to that conclusion?

Actually, I thought the pass pro against the Falcons was pretty good. The Rams and Skins, sure. Though the Rams were tied for #1 in sacks last year and the Skins were way up there too.

Seattle's adjusted sack rate last year was middle of the pack. I think our problems came from being overly aggressive with JR Sweezy (though that will probably look wise with time) and the fact that Breno Giacomini is a bit of a hot and cold performer. McQuistan seemed to have a slightly down year too, though I thought he was an adequate starter instead of a slightly above average one like he was in 2011.

sutz

Reaction score
:229031_shrug:

We were still rebuilding coming into 2012, and the O-line was coming off significant injury problems from the end of 2011. And sure, they made a couple of questionable decisions concerning Sweezey and Moffit.

I suspect we'll be rated much higher after 2013, knock on wood of course. If we don't lose 3 of 5 starters for significant numbers of games we'll be into the 30's on those scores, easily. Given Wilson's mobility and Beastmode's ability to run over, under, around and through people, we don't need the No 1 line on that stat, just a pretty good one.

I'm sure we'll draft at least one O-lineman who probably won't start, and we'll have a spirited competition in camp. The 5 guys who end up starting in September will be fine IMHO. Plus, we'll have 4 or 5 pretty solid backups as well.

mikeak

Reaction score
It is a salary cap league - you can't have it all.

With the QB in place and the explosive WRs and Rbs in our system we will simply live with spending less on the O-line....

Laloosh

Reaction score
Thanks Roland. I was having a pretty good day until I looked at that. The one aspect of this team that scares the hell out of me. Just crossing my fingers and hoping #3 lives to see an o-line that can extend his career, not endanger it.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I'm hoping they draft TWO o-lineman in the draft this year. This team flat out needs more depth on the O-Line, especially w/the injuries, and the fact that RW ran for his life last year.

A

Anonymous

Too bad all those good tackles in this draft will be gone waaaayyy before we pick.

Was watching a bit yesterday on NFLN, and M-Faulk was commenting about how this-years draft, being so top-heavy with o-lineman, has got to be frustrating for teams in need who aren't in an immediate position to take advantage. Something deep inside me is telling me that a trade to get up into a spot to grab one of those beasts isn't outside the realm of possibility.

It's almost spooky that all our acquisitions so far have ZERO O-line implications. Given the Sweezy project and the fluidity of our guys swapping spots, the unrest of our line has got to be in the forefront of our draft-room workings.

Come Monday morning, I say we all take a collective sigh of relief. Russell being the one making the biggest sigh.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":39z55bzt said:
I'm hoping they draft TWO o-lineman in the draft this year. This team flat out needs more depth on the O-Line, especially w/the injuries, and the fact that RW ran for his life last year.
I think the line needs some work, but this a over dramatization of the issue. Wilson didn't run for his life. Tarvaris ran for his the first 8 games of 2011, for reference.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
In all honesty the key to getting the existing O-Line gelling will just be health. For the past two years it has been a revolving door of whoever is healthy is in. You have potentially 3-4 pro bowl caliber linemen in Unger, Okung, McQuistan and Carpenter, when they are healthy. Breno, Moffit, Sweezy and (?) might just need that extra bit of time, conditioning and training to step it up to the same level.

Dave Kreig spent his whole career here waiting for an O-line that never came, and I doubt Pete is eager to repeat that mistake.

sprhawk

Reaction score
Evil_Shenanigans":2jji31ik said:
Dave Kreig spent his whole career here waiting for an O-line that never came, and I doubt Pete is eager to repeat that mistake.

Ahhh the good ol days. Steve Raible - "Kreig rolls out" pulls back for the pass, arm goes forward but where's the ball? Used to shoot a beer every time. Got pretty hammered during some of those games.

I sure am thankful for Wilsons ball control.

olyfan63

Reaction score
themunn":vn8rsqxh said:
MontanaHawk05":vn8rsqxh said:

Indeed the line really pulled together towards the end, and Wilson really struggled against the blitz right through until the Atlanta game where he discovered Miller will always be available

^^ This.
Wilson had a lot of time on numerous occasions, but held, and held, and held the ball. I'm hoping that Percy Harvin gives him another reliably-open option, so DangerRuss isn't holding onto the ball so long. Yeah, once he figured out to look for Zack... he was lights-out.

A

Anonymous

So, what did I tell you? First two players taken were tackles. Even a blind squirrel...

OK, so I'm not going to sit by the TV all day to watch us trade up, cuz it's just not going to happen. Who wants to make a wager that our pick is an o-lineman though?

mikeak

Reaction score
olyfan63":18d9vtok said:
themunn":18d9vtok said:
^^ This.
Wilson had a lot of time on numerous occasions, but held, and held, and held the ball. I'm hoping that Percy Harvin gives him another reliably-open option, so DangerRuss isn't holding onto the ball so long. Yeah, once he figured out to look for Zack... he was lights-out.

This is also tied to separation downfield. This is why we got Percy Harvin

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
HoustonHawk82":cgcwo9ue said:
Who wants to make a wager that our pick is an o-lineman though?
I'll wager against you. I say DT. What are we wagering?

mikeak":cgcwo9ue said:
This is also tied to separation downfield. This is why we got Percy Harvin
Don't need separation with a big target that just goes up for it. :) I'd love to see Zach get 90 catches this year. Hell, I want Zach, Percy, Golden, Sidney, and Doug to all have 90+ catches this year. Set a new record for offense in the NFL. 8)

Latest posts