Five things I hope to be wrong about, 2013 edition

kearly

Reaction score
The Seahawks are going places. By some measurements they had the NFL's best defense last year, by other measurements they had the best offense. During the offseason they lost nobody of consequence while adding maybe their best free agent haul in team history. This is also one of the league's youngest teams, and it is one of just a handful of teams equipped to deal with the current read option phase that is sweeping the league.

I can't guarantee that Seattle will win the SB, because, probability. But at the same time, the Seahawks clearly have pole position at the start of the 2013 race.

That said, I still have some apprehensions, because no team is perfect. I wrote a similar "5 things I hope to be wrong about" post in 2011, and ended up being wrong on 4 of them. I must have wanted to be wrong to be wrong that often, so I'm going to set the bar higher this time. Here are my five for 2013:

#1: Seattle will not go "23-0."

I would love to be wrong on this one. Hopefully I just reverse-jinxed it.

#2: The five 10am starts, plus drawing tough teams on the road, will cost Seattle the division (to SF).

The schedule makers screwed us while simultaneously doing everything they could to bail out the 49ers. I truly believe that the schedule difference alone will probably make a 1-2 game difference in the standings, and while I think Seattle is better than SF (especially head to head), I don't know if they are better enough to overcome such a handicap.

The good news is, the 10am disadvantage is almost exclusively for defenses, which is why teams with great offenses tend to have better road records and win a higher total number of regular season games. Football outsiders thinks our offense was even better than our defense last season, and that was beyond debate during the final 8 games or so when Seattle's defense backslid slightly while the offense flirted with historic levels of awesome.

The Seahawks 2013 offense is a good bet to be the best in Seahawks history, and I'm not even joking when I say that it's even got a chance to be the best offensive team season in NFL history (in terms of efficiency). That might matter more than Seattle's awful past track record with 10 am games.

#3: Colin Kaepernick takes another step forward, not a step back.

I thought Alex Smith was certain to take a step back after his 2011 season. The NFL seemed to agree, allowing Smith to languish in free agency before eventually signing back with the niners on a reasonable contract that was, at the time, mocked for being an overpay. Instead, Smith was among the league leaders in 2013 passer rating before inexplicably being benched for the inexperienced, developmental Colin Kaepernick.

I've always liked Kaepernick- but I never thought he'd be this good with such little development. Harbaugh deserves the hype, and then some. There is still a ton of room left for improvement with Kaepernick, and even if he holds steady, just look at what Harbaugh got out of Alex Smith of all people. I don't think Kaepernick is even close to as good as Wilson, but I do think that Kaepernick has a disturbingly decent chance to join Wilson as a top 5 QB in 2013.

#4: The KJ Wright to WILL experiment returns unsavory results.

I just don't see how this makes any sense. Wright is a beast at the LOS, but a liability in downfield coverage. Even when played to his strengths, he was just alright last season. We have five or six non-starting linebackers in camp right now that can run in the 4.4s or 4.5s. I get that they want to keep Wright on the field, but not like this. Also, moving a 228 pound, fragile Malcolm Smith to (compete at) SAM where he'll be much more exposed to linemen? WTH is going on? None of this makes any sense. I trust crazy Pete, especially since this is the time of year to try new things, but if there is a plan behind these moves, it's a nutty one.

The good news is, whenever Pete does something seemingly insane with personnel, it usually works out very well.

#5: Chris Clemons isn't what he used to be, and will be sorely missed.

Maybe the Seahawks 2013 pass rush can be like the 2013 Mariners offense. Maybe it can show rapid improvement though a top to bottom lineup strategy. The Mariners are #2 in the Majors in home runs, which is amazing considering that no Mariner has more than 24 of them (and the guy with with team lead is 41 years old). The Mariners don't have a Mike Trout or a Miguel Cabrera, but they suddenly have a whole hell of a lot of Kyle Seagers, and Kyle Seager is damn good.

Thing is though, most great offenses in baseball are built around a pair of fantastic hitters with a few support pieces here and there. The M's are highly unusual in their approach, but it's working; at least right now it's working.

Most NFL pass rushes are the same thing. Aldon Smith put up monster numbers while being enabled by Justin Smith, but you take those two out of the equation and there isn't really any other major source of sack production. Jared Allen carried the pass rush on his back for chunks of his career. Around the league, you see teams with 1-2 star pass rushers who have nominal pass rush support beyond that. Seattle was one of those teams too up until now, relying on Chris Clemons completely for pass rush production.

Recovering from a knee injury at age 32 isn't easy for a defensive lineman, especially one who already had knee injuries on his record. And that injury didn't happen last September, it happened in January. We don't know how Clemons performs, but even if he played all 16 regular season games (by some miracle), it seems like a stretch that he'd get his usual 11+ sack production in that kind of physical condition. And with every past Carroll Seahawks team, that would be a grim prospect. I think I will probably be right on the first half of statement #5, but it's the second half where I have some faint hope that I could not only be wrong, but spectacularly so.

Back to the Mariners analogy. The reason you don't see a lot of top to bottom offenses in baseball is because it is very hard to do. Finding shortstops that hit (Miller) is hard. Finding centerfielders that hit (Saunders) is hard. Finding second basemen that hit (Franklin) is hard, especially one who is hitting homeruns at a 30+ per full season rate (as a rookie). Finding catchers with even a decent bat is hard (Zunino). Even finding a high OPS 3rd basemen with great defense (Seager) isn't that easy to do. Somehow, the Mariners have done all these things, and all these things came together with stunning suddenness.

When I look at Seattle's pass rush, I don't see any sure superstars, but I do see a very large number of players who are merely very good. Bennett was one of the better pass rushing dual threat 5-techs in the league last year. Avril is one dimensional, but solidly productive. Jordan Hill is a classic low ceiling, try hard player, but he shouldn't be doubted just yet, because sometimes college overachievers become NFL overachievers too (just ask our QB). McDaniel has a track record of being disruptive. Bruce Irvin probably won't blitz a ton, but when he does he'll probably be several times more effective than he was on most of his DE reps last season. Dan Quinn will bring an attack mentality to the defense.

Hawkblogger recently described Seattle's defense in TC to having a "front nine." In other words, Dan Quinn is a guy that likes to get as many players involved in the pass rush as possible, and he could be a perfect DC for a "top to bottom" styled pass rush which relies not on a single superstar but a wide base of contributors, similar to Seattle's philosophy in the passing game.

Still, this kind of pass rush isn't easy to pull off and it will require a lot of pleasant surprises. The pass rush is probably my top concern entering this season, but I'll readily admit that the gate could swing either way depending on how the new additions (including Quinn) fit together.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
I think you are 100% right on #1 and #3.

#2, 4, and 5 I think you have a good chance of being wrong on (which in this case is a good thing).

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
A bit pessimistic for my taste, especially this year, but I see where you are coming from as well.

The pass rush is my deepest concern, far beyond any other (and that's certainly not to say I don't have other concerns, that is for sure). Even the best secondary in the NFL is limited by the pressure we create. We are all tired of seeing QBs of varying talent have success on us due to a lack of pressure.

As for Colin, I too fear he is as good as advertised. I think he's a 3 on a 1-to-10 Russell Wilson Character Meter, but the boy has skills. Dang it.

HawkWow

Reaction score
"The Seahawks are going places. By some measurements they had the NFL's best defense last year, by other measurements they had the best offense. During the offseason they lost nobody of consequence while adding maybe their best free agent haul in team history".

I love it when you talk this way.

But I agree about the odds of probability. I give us a 40% chance of winning the SB, but that is insanely high. Someone will jump in with the Vegas odds...and in advance, I ask you to resist that temptation. The Vegas odds are nothing more than a popularity poll and we know this team a heck of a lot better than the best line setter in Vegas. Bottom line is I think our chances are better than any other team's. Especially with the bronc's starting center going down today (for the year).

#2 on your list concerns me more than your other (very legit) concerns. Too many seem to believe we somehow managed to put our road woes behind us. I didn't see that in either play off game and we play that caliber of teams again on the road this year. I will consider it a victory if we win more than we lose.

This thread is like a 6 flags roller coaster. Fun but spooky.

kobebryant

Reaction score
To one of the points you made: has the NFL provided any explanation as to why the schedule didn't alternate this time like it is supposed to? Last time the Hawks played the AFC South they were at Indy and Houston. They should be hosting those teams this year.

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
kobebryant":2rf440nx said:
To one of the points you made: has the NFL provided any explanation as to why the schedule didn't alternate this time like it is supposed to? Last time the Hawks played the AFC South they were at Indy and Houston. They should be hosting those teams this year.

They tweaked the rotation several years ago. Several East coast teams were whining about having to fly out to the West Coast a couple of times each year, so they modified the schedule accordingly. (Since there are far more teams in the Eastern Time Zone than the Pacific Time Zone, they got what they wanted and we didn't really have a say in the matter.)

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I love what Dan Quinn seems to be doing thus far. Too early to tell, and training camp's also a time for experimentation, so we really don't know anything; but if Quinn makes us attack the QB more...We could have a historic defense. Seriously, it seems like most people are ignoring, or forgetting, the fact that our secondary ROCKS with NO PASS RUSH to speak of. That is so incredibly rare; pretty much every secondary is helped greatly by getting good pressure on the QB. Ours was left out in the proverbial cold most of last year, and still rocked pretty well. If we can get consistent, reliable pressure against QBs...It will be absolutely nuts.

Man, I can't wait for this season to arrive; and good stuff as usual, Kearly.

rideaducati

Reaction score
kobebryant":3lu4v3dx said:

The schedule is on an 8 year rotation. Home then away then away then home.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
1. I would hate it trying to go undefeated, my blood pressure would increase a thousand fold during the playoffs. The Pasties can have the honor.

2. Lots of road blocks, but if we do take the division and the win big game, there shouldn't be any excuses about how we didn't earn it.

3. Even picking up where last season left off would be a win for CK. And I'm pretty sure he can accomplish that expectation. Won't be able to overload Crabtree with targets for much of the year, but Harbaugh could probably make him kick that habit.

4. I'm clueless over the LB situation.

5. Agreed.

kobebryant

Reaction score
rideaducati":242o20r2 said:
kobebryant":242o20r2 said:

The schedule is on an 8 year rotation. Home then away then away then home.

Come to think of it, you are right. In all fairness and why I will no longer complain about this, the Hawks haven't had to go to New England or Baltimore in what feels like an extremely long time.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
GeekHawk":2874rn0l said:
So, when do we lose you to SI also?

Won't be long I'm sure. They seem to watch this place. Why haven't they called me though? Haha. Oh yeah, because I suck and I don't write a blog. I just screw around and start fights.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3v07d4o4 said:
bestfightstory":3v07d4o4 said:
I don't care about undefeated.

I just want the #1 seed.

You should, because undefeated automatically gives us the #1 seed. 8)

Not necessarily. What if Green Bay also goes undefeated?

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
bestfightstory":2vyk3lax said:
Not necessarily. What if Green Bay also goes undefeated?

Well, then it would come down to the strength of victory, and we'd have to see who played the tougher/better opponents. What are the chances, though? I mean, seriously...Troll. :)

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
LudwigsDrummer":3nn0y06z said:
I don't want to take the time to go through the tie breakers.
I did. In a situation where you have two 16-0 teams, the first like five things are all identical, and then it goes strength of victory, then strength of schedule.

1) Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games among the clubs).
2) Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.
3) Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.
4) Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
5) Strength of victory.
6) Strength of schedule.
7) Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
8) Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
9) Best net points in common games.
10) Best net points in all games.
11) Best net touchdowns in all games.
12) Coin toss

http://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakingprocedures