FIRE JOHN LYNCH!! $HITE DRAFTS, overmatched (Press-Democrat)

NINEster

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":268jpvjm said:
hawksfansinceday1":268jpvjm said:
Lynch did the smart thing,he decided he was going to replicate the way the Seahawks were built and how they play their defense then did so. Announced as much publicly. That's gotta stick in at least some 9ers' fans' collective craw.
That’s when their “selective memory” kicks in. 8)

There are videos out there that suggest the 49ers D are not a carbon copy any longer of the Seahawks template.

A lot more cover 2 principles, other nuances.

I go on rival boards a bit and the common theme is that Carroll's vintage 4-3 under Cover 3 is no longer the force it once was...…..Jags, Chargers, Seahawks......good but not overwhelming defenses. Offenses finally caught on.

So yeah, the 49ers are not exactly running the same kind of defense that Carroll tweaked from George Seifert. :2thumbs:

And BTW, it's not like the 49ers didn't have any kind of legit defense under Harbaugh/Fangio. Those units were tremendous. Weren't quite as good as the Hawks for pass defense, but man they would have smothered Lamar Jackson complete between Willis and Bowman.

NINEster

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":31qf95xt said:
IMHO as a Hawks homer I do think they are a bit over rated...... but CURRENTLY they are 10-2 and having success.
No way in hell you make a change, the article as the OP said is over a year old.

Baalke (sp?) and Harbs were the invincible world beaters too in 2012, 2013 and then the wheels fell off.
The one big advantage Shanny has over Harbs is he isn’t as abrasive personality wise so likely will last longer.

The other advantage is that he knows offense inside out and how to build a team to achieve that goal. I think Harbaugh is a helluva cheerleader and manager.....given enough OC/DC and assistant coach talent, he will be a force on his own, but I couldn't see him doing what Kyle Shanahan is doing right now without all the help.

Harbaugh was limited to general philosophies at best, nothing specific. "We want to build a bully" was his initial press conference quote. Hilarious and charming at first, but not a ton after that. Greg Roman would have been perfect OC back in the late '80s/early '90s, but not early 2010s.

That era died mainly because the Niners (mainly Harbaugh) couldn't resolve that offensive issue. They needed a real OC with a vision to take Kap and mold him into something between what they were doing and what the Ravens are doing with Lamar right now. The Shanahan RG3 skins in year 1 was a maximization of QB abilities. His refusal to ever make a change at that position destroyed him. I could give him a pass for 2013, but after that season it was obvious something needed to change if the 49ers were ever going to beat Seattle in Seattle.

For all the lamenting people on here had about Bevell, it's nothing on what Niner fans had on Roman. We only wish we had Bevell, then maybe we could have won a Super Bowl back then. Even Pete Carroll understood Wilson needed to play QB differently than others. Harbaugh thought he had a real passer back then.

Roman is only as good as his run game. Shut it down and you win or make it very competitive.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Harbs' abrasiveness plus his constant fighting with Baalke and Jed got really old. Because he antagonized him, he should well have expected to been fired after an 8 and 8.

I mean, people are talking about him coming back in the nfl, but the last record he has is antagonizing his higher-ups. And on top of that presenting as an unfriendly a-hole in public. Where's he gonna go? Khan in Jacksonville would have no part in that, and you know Jerrah would throw a gasket. Generally billionaire owners expect to have their parts licked or at least shaken, their coach showing up to the "red carpet" stuff they dictate, and Harbs has shown no inclination to do that.

If Michigan doesn't extend him, if I were him I'd go to a school without that big a rivalry that determines your success. Ohio State almost always >> Michigan in recruitment, and that'll always be because of the academic expectations at Michigan being so much higher. It's not like Stanford and Cal, where they're more or less the same.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Kinda funny when a Seahawk fan is making fun of Niner fans by quoting a Grant Cohn article when Grant Cohn is one of the writers Niner fans hate most. Kinda ironic.

Lynch?

His drafts have been a mixed bag. Thomas appears to be a bust, Foster was a disaster, Joe Williams never played a down, and Dante Pettis isn't living up to expectations.

On the flip side, Kittle might be best TE in the NFL, Witherspoon has turned a corner, DJ Jones has played great, McGlichey looks like a mainstay, Fred Warner has played like an All-Pro, Bosa is a monster, and Deebo is rounding into a good player.

UDFAs Breida and Wilson have been huge.

They've also done very well in Free Agency and trades. Garoppolo, Sherman, Ford, Jusczcyk, Coleman, and Richburg have all contributed.

The thing that stands out most to me tho is the play of a number of players who arrived BEFORE Lynch and Shanahan. Armstead has been a monster. Buckner is a huge part of that front. Ward has been excellent at FS. Tartt has been great at SS.

So I guess the question is who gets credit? To be honest, I don't care. LOL.

Also a previous poster said that Lynch has been invisible....but both he and Shanahan have weekly radio shows, so not sure what that's about.

OP
OP
olyfan63

olyfan63

Reaction score
The Cohn article was actually rather funny, saying that Lynch should be fired because he didn't babysit Ruben Foster's GF, double-team her and the hotel lobby with PIs, as it were. Turned out the NFL was too big for Foster more than the GM job was too big for Lynch. Didn't really cross my mind to make fun of Niner fans; sorry you have me confused with other posters that are more into that. Plus you guys often have interesting insights on our team and players, strengths and weaknesses, that we Hawk fans sometimes gloss over as a result of fandom.

I did, however, make fun of a Hawk fan who thought he "won the Internet" this week in a Penny thread so ya got me there, I'm not up for any Mother Theresa "pure of heart" awards or anything silly like that. I shared that his posting excellence was right up there with William Hung's singing excellence. I thought it was a hella funny comparison, but I'm biased.

Pete Carroll is largely a product of the Bill Walsh coaching tree, and that's turned out well for us, so it's pointless to hate anything and everything that was ever 49er associated. More recently, there was the medical gear the 49ers med staff made available to Tyler Lockett when he was in a medical facility in SF. I do, however, hope the Saints hang an L on your Niners on Sunday, just as you hope the Rams do likewise to the Hawks. And both of our hopes will affect the actual outcome, precisely squat.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
:17:
Marvin49":3o01mlq1 said:
Kinda funny when a Seahawk fan is making fun of Niner fans by quoting a Grant Cohn article when Grant Cohn is one of the writers Niner fans hate most. Kinda ironic.

Lynch?

His drafts have been a mixed bag. Thomas appears to be a bust, Foster was a disaster, Joe Williams never played a down, and Dante Pettis isn't living up to expectations.

On the flip side, Kittle might be best TE in the NFL, Witherspoon has turned a corner, DJ Jones has played great, McGlichey looks like a mainstay, Fred Warner has played like an All-Pro, Bosa is a monster, and Deebo is rounding into a good player.

UDFAs Breida and Wilson have been huge.

They've also done very well in Free Agency and trades. Garoppolo, Sherman, Ford, Jusczcyk, Coleman, and Richburg have all contributed.

The thing that stands out most to me tho is the play of a number of players who arrived BEFORE Lynch and Shanahan. Armstead has been a monster. Buckner is a huge part of that front. Ward has been excellent at FS. Tartt has been great at SS.

So I guess the question is who gets credit? To be honest, I don't care. LOL.

Also a previous poster said that Lynch has been invisible....but both he and Shanahan have weekly radio shows, so not sure what that's about.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Marvin49":rcfstqry said:

What time is this radio show on KNBR? I seem to not be in my car when this is going on LOL.

On 49ers Game Plan it's almost always Shan doing the specific interviews. 9ers Central, almost totally Shan's background pressers. The journos don't feel the need to bring up Lynch like they did Baalke.

When you add correct pieces to your defense, it all ends up better. I think that's what's happened with AA, Buckner and Ward. It was a real gamble keeping Ward and still might be.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":3adrqa8c said:
It was a real gamble keeping Ward and still might be.

Ward was just a one year deal, so there's not really any risk in it, although they'll probably have to decide if they're going to sign him again, which could end up being risky given his injury history.

I gotta say though, it has been a lot fun watching guys like Armstead and Ward playing out of their minds, given that a ton of 9ers fans have been crapping all over the team for not cutting them for years now. :lol:

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Popeyejones":ywr8ek96 said:
SantaClaraHawk":ywr8ek96 said:

Ward was just a one year deal, so there's not really any risk in it, although they'll probably have to decide if they're going to sign him again, which could end up being risky given his injury history.

I gotta say though, it has been a lot fun watching guys like Armstead and Ward playing out of their minds, given that a ton of 9ers fans have been crapping all over the team for not cutting them for years now. :lol:

They really gambled with Ward--in this case it has appeared to pay off this year. But to pay him, it could go either way.

Generally (despite outliers like Ward), I want to see the player performing by end of Year Two or at least giving signs he can do that. Shaquem Griffin, case in point. He's gotta continue his trend toward being a serviceable replacement for KJ/Kendricks/Wagner because it's his job. If he can't and Cody/Ben end up starting/getting more snaps over him, it's time for the experiment to end.

I have hope for this to happen, but if it does not, he should not be retained because of family videos and narrative, nor how Shaquill feels about it.

Marvin49

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":v715rcdj said:
Popeyejones":v715rcdj said:
SantaClaraHawk":v715rcdj said:

They really gambled with Ward--in this case it has appeared to pay off this year. But to pay him, it could go either way.

Generally (despite outliers like Ward), I want to see the player performing by end of Year Two or at least giving signs he can do that. Shaquem Griffin, case in point. He's gotta continue his trend toward being a serviceable replacement for KJ/Kendricks/Wagner because it's his job. If he can't and Cody/Ben end up starting/getting more snaps over him, it's time for the experiment to end.

I have hope for this to happen, but if it does not, he should not be retained because of family videos and narrative, nor how Shaquill feels about it.

He signed a one year deal for not very much money.....so how is that a risk?