Favorite PETE CARROLL SEAHAWKS Friggin Ugly, FUGLY WINS?

olyfan63

Reaction score
What are your favorite Pete Carroll Seahawks UGLY, even FUGLY, wins?

Pete Carroll and Chuck Knox, the two most successful Seahawks coaches, both have a knack for "winning ugly", but Carroll is truly the master. If you could learn to love an ugly baby, surely you can just learn to love and savor FRIGGIN UGLY, and/or stressful, downright FUGLY Pete Carroll Seahawks wins!!

Let me offer a definition of a Classic Pete Carroll Seahawks FUGLY win, because I personally consider them to be a thing of beauty, and Pete's trademark, his calling card. Some elements, and a few games from my list:

ELEMENTS OF A PETE CARROLL SEAHAWKS FUGLY WIN

* Somehow the Seahawks get lucky at just the right time, in seemingly improbable ways, shortly after looking like the other team was using us for a punching bag, and seemingly can score at will against our suddenly-porous D.

* The Seahawks suck, and suck some more, for seemingly the whole game, and you find yourself yelling excessively at the TV after yet another How-could-they-let-that-happen play by the Seahawks. (Poster child: John Ross of the Bengals TD catch seconds before halftime)

* Our D inexplicably makes the opponent's backup QB look like an All-Pro-for-a-game.

* Seemingly out of nowhere, against the run of play, some Seahawk makes an unlikely HUGE play that turns the tide

* The opponent gives Seattle an unlikely gift (or two) that turn the game around, just as it seemed our opponent was about to put the game out of reach

* Next thing you know it's a "how-did-we-win-that-one W", and a sigh of relief. As I said, a Classic Pete Carroll Seahawks FUGLY win.

* Despite it being a W, a few .NET posters have a Monday Meltdown, posting threads about how awful/incompetent Pete is, his horrible playcalls/game management/challenges, and how the game has passed him by.

FUGLY WIN EXAMPLES (THINGS OF BEAUTY, ALL)

2019 vs RAMS, HOME
The 30-29 Thursday night win over the Rams is was a classic Pete Carroll Seahawks FUGLY win. This time, the unlikely Hawks play was Thompson's interception. The opponent unlikely gifts were the Delay-of-Game penalty, and then Zuerlein missing the game-winning FG inches to the right... Not sure how Pete engineers this stuff, and it's pretty stressful to watch at times. In the second half, it certainly looked like the Rams O was using our D for a punching bag. Once again, a Classic Pete Carroll Seahawks FUGLY win.

2019 vs CINCINNATI BENGALS, HOME
This year, besides the Rams game, I'd add the Cincinnati game as a Classic Pete Carroll FUGLY Seahawks win. We sucked, we sucked, all game, aside from Russell, then Russell leads a 4Q TD drive and we take the lead. Before that though, Cincy, in the Red Zone, gifts us a pick to Al Woods on a ball that slips out of Dalton's hands, and later misses a 45 yd FG attempt, then Cincy fails on 4th and 1, easily 13 points worth of gifts, plus one more gift of a questionable-call Dalton fumble to end the game. Yet again, a Classic Pete Carroll Seahawks FUGLY win!!

2019 vs PITT. STEELERS, HOME
This seaon's Steelers game was a Classic Pete Carroll Seahawks win too, trying to give the game away to Pittsburgh with that Carson fumble, but then Seattle running out the game clock with a bruising final drive. And oh yes, it was also Classic Pete Carroll Seahawks FUGLY in making yet another backup QB look like an all-pro against us.

2014 NFCCG vs GB, HOME, AN ALL-TIME FAVORITE FUGLY WIN
My all-time favorite Classic Pete Carroll Seahawks FUGLY win? Beating Green Bay in the 2014 NFCCG, the TD pass by Seahawks punter Jon Ryan, the recovered onside kick, gifts include the GB player's pick of Russell where he stayed down instead of returning it for a potential TD. This one probably set the record for the most cursing at the TV. Oh yeah, and that 2-point conversion to Luke Willson? WOW!!

I mean, if you can't JUST ACCEPT all those Classic Pete Carroll Seahawks FUGLY wins, I mean, what do you want, Jim Mora Jr. or Dennis Erickson back at the helm? Most of the Classic Pete Carroll Seahawks FUGLY wins are games that a Mora Jr. or Erickson coached Seahawks team would have found a way to lose. Never mind the Behring and Flores years. Regardless of how you feel about Pete, it's indisputable the man has a knack for WINNING FUGLY.

What are some of your favorite Classic Pete Carroll Seahawks FUGLY wins? I only listed a few, and left a lot on the table.
* Year, Opponent, Home/Away,
* List the elements of FUGLY-ness
* Maybe add a FUGLY-ness element of your own that I didn't list.

Yxes1122

Reaction score
There are so many of these.

The 2013 Texans Game comes to mind.

The 2015 Wild Card Game against Minnesota with the Blair Walsh Field Goal.

The Monday Night Game against Detroit where KJ tapped the ball out.

The Fail Mary.

The 2010 game against the Rams to see who got into the playoffs. (I don't know if that game counts but it was certainly fugly.)

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Both NFCC games. Saints playoff win in 2013.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Several wins in our championship season were straight out ugly:
Texans
Bucs
Titans

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Versus Rams in St Louis 2013 season.

Seattle won 14-9 thanks to a goalline stand at the end.
Wilson got sacked about a dozen times.
Still not sure how Seattle won this game

xray

Reaction score
There are so many it's a blur of curse words .

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
No style points in the NFL. An ugly win is still a WIN.
We should be used to ugly wins around here, this team wins more than most in the league for the last several years. Should it matter if it's pretty? I stopped caring about how a win looks a long time ago, it's a waste of energy to dwell on how the team WINS. But yeah, there have been some fuuuugly ones over the years.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Jerhawk":19p6i8mi said:

Virtually every game against the Fisher era Rams was ugly as hell, win or lose. Nigh on unwatchable at times.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
There was a win at Detroit that may have been the ugliest win of all time. I believe the final score was 9-6. Horrific game :pukeface:

BigMeach

Reaction score
Every season has multiple games won or lost by less than a field goal since PC came here.

evergreen

Reaction score
I was gonna say the 2013 away game with the Rams too. But what's uglier are our ugly losses! Chargers last year comes to mind. But what about the ugliest of all? The 6-6 not a win or a loss to the Cards!

OP
OP
olyfan63

olyfan63

Reaction score
evergreen":awylj2zf said:
I was gonna say the 2013 away game with the Rams too. But what's uglier are our ugly losses! Chargers last year comes to mind. But what about the ugliest of all? The 6-6 not a win or a loss to the Cards!

Any team and coach can do fugly losses. The coach gets fired after a couple seasons at most, if not early in 2nd season. Pete, and Pete alone, has this unique talent for fugly wins, things of beauty all, IMO.

But that TIE vs. the Cardinals... now THAT game has a "special" place in the Pete Carroll Seahawks Fugly Hall of Fame.
IIRC, Hauschka missed a chip shot field goal that would have won it. I think their kicker did as well. Both teams should have won, and both should have lost. Nice find!

OP
OP
olyfan63

olyfan63

Reaction score
Jerhawk":116b7v0z said:

What was cool about that game is that Special Teamer Heath Farwell made the game-winning play on the goal line stand, playing LB. IIRC, that is. Just one more example of a guy stepping up and being ready, with Pete's "Next Man Up" philosophy. That one has to be a Top-5 fugly win.

OP
OP
olyfan63

olyfan63

Reaction score
Yxes1122":279hj4rc said:
There are so many of these.

The 2013 Texans Game comes to mind.

The 2015 Wild Card Game against Minnesota with the Blair Walsh Field Goal.

The Monday Night Game against Detroit where KJ tapped the ball out.

The Fail Mary.

The 2010 game against the Rams to see who got into the playoffs. (I don't know if that game counts but it was certainly fugly.)

Minnnesota playoff win, PURE FUGLY WIN GOLD!! I'd forgotten about that Minnesota playoff win gifted to us by a Blair Walsh chip shot FG miss, playing in -200 F weather or whatever the hell it was. I think Wilson only made like one decent play the whole game, a wild scramble with a long completion to Baldwin.

Absolutely, that 2013 Texans win, in primetime, I think that was the SHOELESS DICK SHERMAN game, with a Sherman pick 6 in the 4th quarter bailing out the Hawks for the win.

And yes, now that KJ-induced fumble to seal the win vs. Detroit, I'd forgotten about that! Fugly as they come!

The last two were prime time games, maybe the "Fugliness Score" should be higher for prime-time Fugly wins?

Somehow, I never thought of the Fail Mary game as a Fugly Win, because it was so *satisfying*! Hearing Packer fans whine, whine, whine for YEARS afterwards, now that was truly beautiful!! It was extra-satisfying after living through the Vinny Testaverde helmet-crossed-the-goal-line TD, and SBXL, and on and on. (The difference of course being that the Tate TD was the absolute correct call by the applicable rules and interpretations.) I mean, how can you NOT get a smug and satisfied smirk on your face just thinking about the Fail Mary game, and how nice it was for things to go in the Hawks' favor for once?

I can see how the Clipboard Jesus win to get into the playoffs in 2010-11 might seem fugly, but it was really just that we sucked a little less than the Rams that day. Besides, the next game was the Beastquake win over the Saints, and the beauty of that Beastquake game has virtually erased the maybe-fugly CBJ win over the Rams.

OP
OP
olyfan63

olyfan63

Reaction score
I could add the Tampa Bay game in 2013 where we trailed 20-0 at home, and were making Mike Glennon look like the second coming of Joe Montana. It may not truly meet all the fugly criteria, because the 'Hawks made a spirited comeback and won the game with a beautiful 2nd half, and making it all the way back for the win.

Remember the Batman villain, Two-Face? "I'm of two minds..." that Tampa Bay 0-20 game is more of a "Two-Face" win, tale of two halves, than a fugly win. I mean, at least we got to enjoy one exciting, well-played half by the 'Hawks.