Fant, Dissly, Parkinson

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
I can’t count how many times Geno found a tight end yesterday for a clutch gain but it was beautiful to see. We continue to utilize our tight ends like this, something we lacked against the Rams, and we’ll continue to stack wins. We might have the best tight end group in the league as a unit. Geno had over 160 to the tight ends alone
And the more I think about it and read post game 'stuff' -

Another part of this that I especially like is the fact that with our problems at Tackle, Waldron schemed (and PC let him!) more TE sets in the game to adjust for an anticipated lack of protection/time in the pocket for Geno. My other post from the Lions dude's article talks about it a touch.

PRECISELY the type of game planning adjustments that were completely MIA last season post-Munich.

So, we got some hope we're gonna actually have some situational/game condition playcalling to ADJUST to things instead of banging our heads against the wall until something breaks.

I think that's a good thing..... And a good sign of things to come.... Unless Pete wants to fiddle around again.

LTH

Reaction score
What is the formation allrd when they line up 2 TE in the backfield. I've never seen that before.

LTH

LTH

Reaction score
I've seen that formation before ... the one I'm talking about is when the TE's line up to Geno's right. Is that still called full house base?

LTH

OP
OP
FrodosFinger

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
I've seen that formation before ... the one I'm talking about is when the TE's line up to Geno's right. Is that still called full house base?

LTH
No not sure but I do remember it in the game

BASF

Reaction score
What is the formation allrd when they line up 2 TE in the backfield. I've never seen that before.

LTH
One of the analysts called it pistol strong right. Pistol because of the short distance between the back and QB. Strong right because both TE's were lined up on that side. I don't know if that is the technical term for it, but that was what one of the Monday morning analysts said it was.

Mick063

Reaction score
Part of the reason for the strong play by the offensive tackles, no matter who is playing, is because of the strength of the tight end group. It helps to have a competent tight end lined up next to you. I also don't get the complaints about not using the tight ends more. I doubt there is another team in the league that lines up in 2 (or 3) tight end sets more than Seattle does.

The only head scratcher for me is why the run game isn't more proficient with such tight end strength. Then again, perhaps the passing game has opened up because opposing defenses are overcompensating for the perceived elevated run game threat as a derivative of multiple tight end sets.

I don't think it is affordable in the long term to not have at least one tight end on a rookie deal. I would hate to choose the odd man out in that scenario. I would be happy with any two of the three, but if forced to choose, I would keep Parkinson and Fant. Parkinson would already be a star if he played in an East Coast market. He is the team's best kept secret.

Last edited:

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Every defense Seattle plays is not always susceptible to being exposed by Seattle’s tight ends…

Some defenses are just better equipped and have the players able to prevent Seattle’s tight ends from running open.

There are defenses with capable pass coverage linebackers that can contain Seattle’s tight ends and maybe Detroit was not one that could.

Seattle can’t get anything going with tight ends versus the Rams or Niners because their pass rushing is too good that it requires tight end help blocking.

So, just cause Seattle used their tight ends well against Detroit, it doesn’t mean they can always do so against other teams…

Coverage schemes and personnel player talent with linebackers have a lot to do with what Seattle can or cannot do with their offensive game plans involving Seattle’s tight ends….

LTH

Reaction score
One of the analysts called it pistol strong right. Pistol because of the short distance between the back and QB. Strong right because both TE's were lined up on that side. I don't know if that is the technical term for it, but that was what one of the Monday morning
No... your right. I emailed Gregg Bell and this is what he has to say.

"fullhouse traditionally has been with running backs and the QB under center. To me it's a variation of pistol, and usually for pass protection (or the illusion of it)"

LTH

LTH

Reaction score
One of the analysts called it pistol strong right. Pistol because of the short distance between the back and QB. Strong right because both TE's were lined up on that side. I don't know if that is the technical term for it, but that was what one of the Monday morning analysts said it was.
I likebthis formation A Lot! They can run and pass out of it and you can't tell which they are going to do

Lth

LTH

Reaction score
I looked for pistol formations with 2 TE, one running back in the back field and I'm not finding anything. Seems to me this is a formation that is very unique some college thing from the 50's or some weird sh!t...but I want to know what coaching ideology this is coming from.. is this a McVay thing is it a Mike Shanahan thing? I'm not totally convinced it's a pistol formation.

Thoughts?

LTH

Mick063

Reaction score
I looked for pistol formations with 2 TE, one running back in the back field and I'm not finding anything. Seems to me this is a formation that is very unique some college thing from the 50's or some weird sh!t...but I want to know what coaching ideology this is coming from.. is this a McVay thing is it a Mike Shanahan thing? I'm not totally convinced it's a pistol formation.

Thoughts?

LTH
It is definitely a good pass protect formation. Perhaps they installed it, just for this game, thinking that the two back up tackles would be exploited. The issue with this formation being used for max protect is that you put less people into routes and with film study, the opposition should be able to easily double up on ALL the wide receivers. On the other hand, if the "pistol" tight ends are instructed to chip the defensive ends on their way into a route, they can still become a viable target while still providing some pass protect assistance. In that case, a quick glance by Geno to see if DK is open down field, then dump it off to the tight end in the short zone.

But that is my answer and I'm sticking to it. They installed the formation to help out the back up offensive tackles, but to Pete's pleasant surprise, the offensive tackles didn't really require this level of elevated pass protect help. So, once they discovered that the offensive tackles could reliably hold up, they quickly transitioned out of the max protect concept and instead sent the tight ends directly into their routes from this formation. Pete was obviously very pleased (and surprised by) their efforts in the post-game press conference.

Last edited:

LTH

Reaction score
It's probably true that they installed that formation for pass protection but I saw the Hawks run it against the Rams as well in the Hawks first drive.

Last edited:

sutz

Reaction score
It's a modified pistol of some kind. And I'm not sure it's a pure pass protect formation either. It looks more like a run formation, designed with a run sweep to the right with two TEs as lead blockers to take on the LBs and CBs you'll see out on the perimeter. And it worked, too. As Geno faked the handoff to Walker, the LBs had to freeze to honor that, giving the 3 TEs a step to get open.

First time I remember that kind of high-med-low routes done by TEs as well.

Good times for Seattle's offense, eh what? :)

Latest posts