Fann: Geno’s play forcing Hawks to reevaluate QB

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
His last 4 contracts have all been 1 year deals, he may feel that he has done enough to warrant more than another short deal.
Agreed which is why a 3 year extension makes sense. In the meantime we can draft an understudy at the quarterback position that can learn the offense under Shane and Geno

JPatera76

Reaction score
Agree with a lot give him a 2-3yr deal. They gives the team the time they want or need to look further in the future for QB. Draft a late round QB in the next draft or the one after that. Let them sit and develop learn the book.

keasley45

Reaction score
4yrs for 160.

100 guaranteed, over 3 years with reasonably achievable incentives that add another 10 per year over those 3 years - Geno can stretch it to 43m per year based on his play.

Keeps him here for the best years of his career, would be great to get 2 more years like this one from him. 3 would be asking a lot. In the 3rd, look to transition to the QBOTF we draft next year.

olyfan63

Reaction score
But he hasnt led a 4th qtr, game winning drive. Until he does that... meh
Darnit, it's really hard to lead a 4th quarter game-winning drive when the offense has been scoring all day and the Hawks are up 20 points in the 4th.

To top it off, Geno is all set to lead a 4th quarter game-winning drive, and then Penny or Walker takes it 99 yards to the house. How rude of them to screw over Geno's chance to lead the team down the field with precision passing for the game-winning TD pass!

It's a no-win situation for Geno, for sure. ;) Well, I'm still holding out hope that Geno gets some actual 4th quarter comeback opportunities against upcoming opponents. No complaints, though, if all he does is lead 4th quarter drives that re-establish a 2-score lead.

Maui12thman

Reaction score
BY JOE FANN -- Seattle Sports columnist

For as bizarre as the first seven weeks of this NFL season have been, no storyline has taken people by surprise as much as the Seahawks’ Geno Smith playing like a top five quarterback in football. In fact, he has been a top two QB in the NFC along with Philadelphia’s Jalen Hurts. That’s not up for debate, either.

Smith ranks third in QBR (66.8) and passer rating (107.7), first in completion percentage (73.5%), third in Pro Football Focus grade (83.6), and is tied for sixth in passing touchdowns (11). He’s also added an additional touchdown on the ground and thrown just three interceptions.

Seattle’s offense as a whole ranks fifth in scoring, 12th in total yards, seventh in net yards per pass attempt (6.8), first in yards per rush attempt (5.5), third in DVOA and seventh in PFF grade.

Smith’s excellence has been the predominant factor in the Seahawks’ 4-3 start that has them currently in first place of the NFC West.

I think if we beat the giants this weekend, might be time to start negotiations with Genos party. Because right now,let’s face it, we are playing with house money and have a good problem on our hands. I’d ink him to 2 more years. I’m drafting the best available defensive player available- fingers crossed that Denver loses in London and then guts their roster with a fire sale, and with their pick we get Will Anderson. Ink Geno and grab a QB later. I’d love to get Malik Cunningham towards the back of the draft. God damn this is an absolutely wonderful year to be a Seahawks fan. Hawks country…let’s fly!

olyfan63

Reaction score
Seattle has been salary planning as if they would draft their next QB next year and have him on a rookie contract for the next 4 or 5 years..

According to overthecap.com, the Hawks currently have only $30.6M in 2023 cap space. Signing Geno short term will be a challenge.
Pete's most successful years have been years with a cheap rookie contract QB--2 SB appearances. We've never made it past the divisional round after paying a QB. I submit this is Pete's "business model", tons of guys wildly outperforming their rookie or FA contracts, especially the QB

I could even see a scenario where we have Lock signed for 2 years, trade Geno for picks, and use those as trade capital to move up to draft the QB Pete and John want. QBOTF sits and learns for a year or two behind Lock.

Geno's play is opening up a ton of actual GOOD options for the Seahawks.

Maui12thman

Reaction score
If we have a top 5 pick and are able to move down 5-10 spots max and pick up a 2024 1st and and 2023 2nd you take that shot I think.

Unless you think the next coming of Josh Allen or Patrick Mahomes is available. Then you take him, and sit him for 2 years
A top five pick would require WAAAAAAAAAY more than a 2024 1st and a 2023 2nd. WAAAAAAAAAAAAY more.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
But he hasnt led a 4th qtr, game winning drive. Until he does that... meh

I know you are being sarcastic but it's a concept that gets too much emphasis in the media. It's as if when you score points is more important than that you score points. The fact is, Geno and the offence have been so productive they haven't really needed too many last minute drives to win. They've been able to get ahead and stay ahead. To me, that's a better offence than one that needs to win it in the fourth quarter all the time.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
I could even see a scenario where we have Lock signed for 2 years, trade Geno for picks, and use those as trade capital to move up to draft the QB Pete and John want. QBOTF sits and learns for a year or two behind Lock.
Both Geno and Lock are FAs after this year. You can't trade either one after November 1st, which is only three days from now.

The scenario you're "seeing" would require the Hawks to sign both Geno and Lock after this season. You can't sign both of them as backups. That will never work.

The best scenario I can see is the Hawks re-sign Geno to a 3-year contract, 2023 salary guaranteed, and with a 4th void year to spread out the prorated signing bonus if necessary.

Look to sign a rookie QB in next year's draft but don't sell the farm for any of them. Build the talent level of team at other positions.

Chuckwow

Reaction score
Carroll won nattys with (IIRC) Sam Cassel and Matt Leinart and I think the latter also won the Heisman under Pete. Then he went on to win a SB with a very limited Russel Wilson.

Pete's approach to winning is an old one but a good one. It requires a badass defense, a kickass running game and a QB that can manage the offense (yep, manage). A team assembled in such a way can almost have a plug and play type QB. Matt Cassel, Matt Leinart, Josh Booty etc. These were very pedestrian talents, imo.

Russ Wilson's 2019 extension was a major mistake and the fans are as much to blame for that as anyone. The adoration was borderline nauseating and Russ-mania (tm) made it impossible for the FO to let him walk. Let's never do that again. K?

I don't feel like the Hawks need a $40 mil QB. A deal like that immediately puts us behind the 8 ball (again). Let's build the D, maybe grab that center from Penn state and draft a QB that can see over the line while understanding the importance of ball security. He's in this draft and he doesn't have to cost us a fortune in draft capital and he certainly won't break the bank. If Geno won't re-sign for $25 per? Let him walk (thinks me).

renofox

Reaction score
Russ Wilson's 2019 extension was a major mistake and the fans are as much to blame for that as anyone. The adoration was borderline nauseating and Russ-mania (tm) made it impossible for the FO to let him walk. Let's never do that again. K?
Agreed!

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I don't have my ear to the ground, so my projections are worthless - but try to get it done now for whatever amount isn't an outright insult. If you fail, keep negotiating in good faith. Put your support behind the guy for a term of 3 years.

GemCity

Reaction score
I don't have my ear to the ground, so my projections are worthless - but try to get it done now for whatever amount isn't an outright insult. If you fail, keep negotiating in good faith. Put your support behind the guy for a term of 3 years.
Agreed. I don’t think I want them to go with $40M a year but, if he’s playing like he is now…we’d really only need to shore up the front and LB on D to be a dangerous team.

I don’t know what’s “fair” salary wise. But, I trust PC and JS know exactly what to do.

Latest posts