Fann: Geno’s play forcing Hawks to reevaluate QB

LudwigsDrummer

Reaction score
Seattle has been salary planning as if they would draft their next QB next year and have him on a rookie contract for the next 4 or 5 years..

According to overthecap.com, the Hawks currently have only $30.6M in 2023 cap space. Signing Geno short term will be a challenge.
Not to challenge you, but Spotrac shows us as having just over $46M in 2023 cap space. My uneducated gut tells me this is a closer figure to reality.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Not to challenge you, but Spotrac shows us as having just over $46M in 2023 cap space. My uneducated gut tells me this is a closer figure to reality.
The $30.6M that otc.com is showing is the Hawks effective cap space, which includes the minimum salaries of currently unsigned players, including their rookie draft class. They list the Hawks having only 33 players under contract for 2023, 18 shy of their standard of 51 players.

They are also showing that the team currently has $53M in total cap space (not accounting for the 18 unsigned players).

Nunya

Reaction score
It sounds more like Fann is the one that is reevaluating Seahawk's QB future and is assuming the team had no clue Geno would perform as well as he is performing. I'm willing to bet that PC knew exactly how well Geno was capable of performing.

Jegpeg

Reaction score
I am the first to admit I was wrong so far on Geno but it would take a ton for me to not still grab a franchise guy with a high leverage pick. I hope Geno plays his way into making this a tough decision though.
THe problem is drafting a quarterback no matter how high, their is no certainty they will be a franchise QB. Look at all the QBs selected with top 3 picks in the last 10 years:
Lawence, Z Wilson, Lance, Burrow, Murray, Mayfield, Darnold, Trubisky, Goff, Wentz, Winston, Bortles
How many of these would you class as a franchise back? Possibly Burrow and Murray though neither are classed among the elite in the league. If we let Geno go and traded away both our first rounders and more (say a second) and ended up with Blake Bortles all the talent we manged to get in the 2022 draft would be wasted.

Before the start of the season I was expecting us to get a QB in the 2023 draft and start them immediately. Now the best thing to do is keep Geno, I have no problem with also drafting a QB but as a developmental prospect given time ot learn their trade as a back-up. We can either start him when he is ready (like Mahomes) or, if Geno continues to play lights out, trade him when is stock is high after starting for a few games (Garrapolo)

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
I've been on Schneider for awhile now for some lackluster drafts, but he does seem to have a good eye for QB's. Next years draft seems pretty deep in QB talent, but if they decide to wait another year, I would be ok with that.

Rock_the_Hawk

Reaction score
Its going to be an interesting couple of years. Do they draft a qb to compete with Geno?

I would say the answer to that question is related to how they feel about Lock. Do they think lock has the talent to be their starting Qb in the future?

I can see them drafting a QB to compete with lock and eventually Geno, the Qustion is what round? If they use a first round pick you would think they would want him to start after a year or so.. and that would be a vote of no confidence in Lock.

if they use a second or third round pick that would probably be developmental and probably to compete with Lock as Geno does his thing tearing up the league.

Would they Carry 3 QBs? i would think not.. what round they draft a QB says alot IMO.

Just my thoughts

Mick063

Reaction score
Its going to be an interesting couple of years. Do they draft a qb to compete with Geno?

I would say the answer to that question is related to how they feel about Lock. Do they think lock has the talent to be their starting Qb in the future?

I can see them drafting a QB to compete with lock and eventually Geno, the Qustion is what round? If they use a first round pick you would think they would want him to start after a year or so.. and that would be a vote of no confidence in Lock.

if they use a second or third round pick that would probably be developmental and probably to compete with Lock as Geno does his thing tearing up the league.

Would they Carry 3 QBs? i would think not.. what round they draft a QB says alot IMO.

Just my thoughts
This post sums it all up.

A lot depends on Lock's expectations with respect to opportunity and salary. Alternatively, how he is performing in practice/locker room and if he is meeting staff expectations.
A lot depends on Geno's auction value relative to a league wide bidding war and Seattle's desire to match a QB hungry team. Additionally, Geno's comfort level with the staff, teammates, and organization to favor them with all other things being relatively equal. (Hey Geno, the crowd was chanting your name when Russell came to town. BEFORE you actually proved it with consistency). Less pressure here. Ask Russell.
A lot depends on the college players available when Seattle drafts and how enamored the staff is with them from due diligence scouting. Will the team specifically target a QB before the draft?
A lot depends on how the remainder of the season plays out. For both college and pros.

In my mind, far too many variables to make a reliable prediction. Frankly, I don't even think the fore mentioned people know the answers right now.

So, your post is actually spot on as well as the choice of the word "interesting". /Pan to a meme video of Mr. Spock looking up from his monitor with a perplexed facial expression and saying "Fascinating".

Last edited:

BlueTalon

Reaction score
This upcoming draft, the only thing I expect, and the only thing I want, The thing I trust them to do, is for JS&PC to trust the board. Don't reach for anything, QB or otherwise.

I had that same attitude about the QB competition. Which is why, despite the fact I had hope for Lock, I wasn't bothered by Geno being named the starter.

Geno doing well certainly takes the pressure off.

Ozzy

Reaction score
THe problem is drafting a quarterback no matter how high, their is no certainty they will be a franchise QB. Look at all the QBs selected with top 3 picks in the last 10 years:
Lawence, Z Wilson, Lance, Burrow, Murray, Mayfield, Darnold, Trubisky, Goff, Wentz, Winston, Bortles
How many of these would you class as a franchise back? Possibly Burrow and Murray though neither are classed among the elite in the league. If we let Geno go and traded away both our first rounders and more (say a second) and ended up with Blake Bortles all the talent we manged to get in the 2022 draft would be wasted.

Before the start of the season I was expecting us to get a QB in the 2023 draft and start them immediately. Now the best thing to do is keep Geno, I have no problem with also drafting a QB but as a developmental prospect given time ot learn their trade as a back-up. We can either start him when he is ready (like Mahomes) or, if Geno continues to play lights out, trade him when is stock is high after starting for a few games (Garrapolo)
You 100% right but I also trust John in his evaluation of the position. I've been pretty hard on him the past few years because I don't think they've drafted well like most of the board has but I think he knows the position pretty well. He was in on Mahomes and Allen when both weren't slam dunks and had question marks.

I also think its way too early to think the Geno we've seen the first 7 weeks is the real Geno over the Geno that never broke out in 10 years. I'm starting to think he is the real deal but its way too early for me to plant my flag. Last game he threw multiple balls that could of been picks. I need to see the 4th quarter stuff too a few times. Russ and all his warts was near league best in high leverage moments and rarely made mistakes.

But you're not all wrong at all. If Geno keeps doing this then like you said it gives you options. You can have a guy sit a year or two like Mahomes. I just re-read your post and really I agree with it. Ideally you keep Geno and draft someone you can develop.

CouchLogic

Reaction score
Give him an extension and draft a QB to sit/watch/learn. No need to march a rookie QB onto the field week 1, especially when Seattle has a dude that has a firm grasp on the offense. This is a great problem to be in, a lot of teams would love to be in this spot.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
LOL its not going to change a thing. Geno will be in his 10th season. The hawks are looking to draft their QBOF in the upcoming draft.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
But he hasnt led a 4th qtr, game winning drive. Until he does that... meh
But that's just it, He hasn't needed to. In the past with RW, every game was a close game. He'd often do very little in the first 3 quarters then turn on the magic in the 4th Quarter. The only real game he had a chance to do such was against ATL and he failed. But against AZ and Chargers he was able to build a 2 score lead and didn't need to. Something that was rare in the past.

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
Seattle has been salary planning as if they would draft their next QB next year and have him on a rookie contract for the next 4 or 5 years..

According to overthecap.com, the Hawks currently have only $30.6M in 2023 cap space. Signing Geno short term will be a challenge.
This is a sharp take as most of the big qb contracts contain a lot of back loaded money. I’m all in on signing Geno to a 2-3 year contract but not beyond.

Donn2390

Reaction score
I also think its way too early to think the Geno we've seen the first 7 weeks is the real Geno over the Geno that never broke out in 10 years. I'm starting to think he is the real deal but its way too early for me to plant my flag. Last game he threw multiple balls that could of been picks. I need to see the 4th quarter stuff too a few times. Russ and all his warts was near league best in high leverage moments and rarely made mistakes.
Very difficult to "Break out" while you're sitting on the bench. He was never given the change until Pete gave it to him. For the past eight years everyone wrote him off as a bust, never even looked in his direction. Another gold coin picked from the scrap heap by Mr. Carroll....

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
This is Geno’s prove it year so if he leads us to the playoffs I think we need to revisit his worth. He’ll likely get better offers if he walks. I say extend him short term to an incentive laden deal
His last 4 contracts have all been 1 year deals, he may feel that he has done enough to warrant more than another short deal.

Echawks

Reaction score
Just let it sink in we might make the playoffs and end up with will Anderson…

Geno country.. let’s ride

GemCity

Reaction score
Don't forget linebacker.
No doubt! I’d like to see us grab an Edge, DT, and LB with our first three picks. Doesn’t have to be in that order but…

This is assuming we can resign Geno. I’d shoot for a 3-year reasonable contract. Teams get desperate with QBs but perhaps some GMs will look at this like Russ in Pete’s system, Geno in Pete’s system…maybe it leaves an impression that Geno may not perform well elsewhere. Russ is stinking it up so, unless he has a dramatic turnaround, as a GM I’d be very weary about snatching a QB from us.

This next draft was supposed to be loaded at QB. While I’m still high on Stroud (OSU curse aside), we’ve seen some stock drop in players like Richardson and Levis. I was high on Levis prior to this year. If we had a shot at Young, I’d still pass on that.

If they resign Geno and don’t grab a QB this year, we’ll be ok. If they do grab one this year, the rook will get an extra year of tutelage under Geno (if we resign).

The Seahawks are in a great position here. If the stars ever lined up for a team…I think that’s what we’re seeing now.

I’m still in shock…definitely in awe of some of the posters in this forum who wanted to trade Russ all along. Some of the comments about RWs wife…his brand…turned me off and made me think more along the lines of “Team Russ” than “Team Pete”.

I’ll be damned if you guys weren’t spot on. Guys like Maelstrom who said Geno may surprise folks…

Some of you need to be in the FO!!! Seriously…lol.

Latest posts