Extend Pete

endzorn

Reaction score
Give Pete another couple years. I don’t give a damn about the delay of game. I’ve suffered through enough incompetent coaching in Seattle to know it’s hard enough just to be in a position to win 12 games. I don’t want Kliff Kingsbury or Sean McVay or whatever hot name is going to burn bright for a minute and end up on the coaching bonfire. Pete manages the clock like he doesn’t have a clue where he is and what time his hot milk bath starts, but he consistently makes this a good team. We have a metric F-Ton of cap room and ample draft capital for Pete to raise the level next year.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
:irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers:

THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

TreeRon

Reaction score
Don't think so. IMO, by the time this contract is up, it'll be time to elevate him to some kind of "office" job.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
We did last December.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Seahawks/status/1077312347927003137[/tweet]

Also, our cap and draft picks have nothing to do with the coach. The owner pays him.

Largent80

Reaction score
Agreed Zorny. I'm so grateful for Pete and John. When their days and RWs days are over I'm going to have to think of whether I want to continue with the NFL. Hell even with all of them here I'm asking myself this question.

OP
OP
endzorn

endzorn

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":3gw1cdli said:
We did last December.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Seahawks/status/1077312347927003137[/tweet]

Also, our cap and draft picks have nothing to do with the coach. The owner pays him.
Cap and draft picks have everything to do with the coach when he has final say over personnel moves. I understand that his contract doesn’t count against the cap and I know he was recently extended, but give him another one just so people around here can explode with rage.

getnasty

Reaction score
11-5 in the toughest division in football, a game better then last year and another playoff appearance in the second year of a rebuild. I will get on board with an extension.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Carroll's best days are behind him. He is nearing 70 years old and his mental errors are mounting. How long are we going to cling to the past? At this point Carroll is Mike McCarthy. I'm grateful contributions but the notion that he should be able to "coach until he decides to quit" that people have around here is laughable. You pay the man for what he's going to do not what he has done.

I contend that Carroll is being bailed out by Wilson all too often. Miracles and last game comebacks are great but at some point it is going to catch up with the Seahawks. We're wasting Wilson's prime under Carroll. For those of you that say "REMEMBER THE 90s?" I say that is a bad argument. We don't have Dan McGwire, we have one of the best QB's in the league -- a player that carried this team before the coaching got in his way this season. We aren't the Browns either with an endless revolving door of QBs.

Carroll is never going to bring us another Super Bowl ever again, period. He's peaked. He needs to be given the option to either surrender his play calling duties or leave.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":15dn4jdp said:
How long are we going to cling to the past?

I would submit that "when we stop making the playoffs" is a good answer to this question.

And no, I'm not "settling for early playoff runs". Y'all can kindly quit assuming our motives to entrench your position. You make the playoffs. That's all you can do. It's a necessary prerequisite for the postseason.

Bill Belichick had years of terrible drafting after his 2004 Super Bowl run, and he got all the same platitudes from that fa base (and its toxic East Coast media vampires) that Carroll is getting now. You know how that turned out. Granted, Belichick is a far better coach than Pete, but only Pete is close to Belichick's playoff success. It's not a sure thing that he's peaked.

getnasty

Reaction score
I'll add that Mike McCarthy might be the hottest coach on the market right now.

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
Pete Carroll is an excellent coach. You have consistently won and been competitive since he has been there. He has won at every level he has been at. He is a real good coach. You should keep him.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
McCarthy's developing his own analytical approach. That's what excites people about him now.

Even Belichick isn't immune. The Pats went through multiple kickers, tossing them aside not for a missed FG but one missed extra point. One's starting in Atlanta, the other in Dallas. They're doing as well as the kicker the Patriots have now.

Then there were the WR issues. AB was going to be risky, they sign him, ship D Thomas to Jets, cut Gordon, who made for a low-risk/high-reward cheap option for us.

So many things with them this year make me feel like BB has taken his a-alness, his micromanagement, of the team to such a high level that what was a strength once now isn't.

I don't see Pete as that uncoachable. But he needs to sit down w/someone who'll be blunt about what's going on. If that's JS or ownership, I don't know.

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":3kdi24k4 said:
McCarthy's developing his own analytical approach. That's what excites people about him now.

Even Belichick isn't immune. The Pats went through multiple kickers, tossing them aside not for a missed FG but one missed extra point. One's starting in Atlanta, the other in Dallas. They're doing as well as the kicker the Patriots have now.

Then there were the WR issues. AB was going to be risky, they sign him, ship D Thomas to Jets, cut Gordon, who made for a low-risk/high-reward cheap option for us.

So many things with them this year make me feel like BB has taken his a-alness, his micromanagement, of the team to such a high level that what was a strength once now isn't.

I don't see Pete as that uncoachable. But he needs to sit down w/someone who'll be blunt about what's going on. If that's JS or ownership, I don't know.

I don't think 11 - 5 and in the playoffs yet again even with a rash of injuries this year is that bad. Is it really that bad? So many teams would love to be that good. I think you had a decent year and it's not over yet. We will see what happens. But it's far from bad IMO.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
SanDiego49er":2uxx3cq7 said:
SantaClaraHawk":2uxx3cq7 said:

I don't think 11 - 5 and in the playoffs yet again even with a rash of injuries this year is that bad. Is it really that bad? So many teams would love to be that good. I think you had a decent year and it's not over yet. We will see what happens. But it's far from bad IMO.

I'm not for firing Pete. I just think there are things he can clean up. Just start by going for it on 4th and down, and saving most challenges for when you need a TO. Those couple things alone would help a lot. As far as greater scheme, the Carroll/Wilson relationship needs to be more like Gase/Peyton Manning or Belichick/Brady. As the highest paid QB in the league, it's time for Pete to trust Wilson similarly.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Spin Doctor":29sa87jy said:
Carroll is never going to bring us another Super Bowl ever again, period. He's peaked. He needs to be given the option to either surrender his play calling duties or leave.

Careful or your quote just might make someone's new signature.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Aros":2sofiwen said:
Spin Doctor":2sofiwen said:

Go ahead. I'm quite confident that it will explode in your face.

Maulbert

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":4nud6ip1 said:
Aros":4nud6ip1 said:
Spin Doctor":4nud6ip1 said:

Go ahead. I'm quite confident that it will explode in your face.

You have no room to talk.

xray

Reaction score
TreeRon":cgeaq5uu said:
Don't think so. IMO, by the time this contract is up, it'll be time to elevate him to some kind of "office" job.
He already is executive vice- president .

Joyodongo

Reaction score
SanDiego49er":3n8ry2yw said:
Pete Carroll is an excellent coach. You have consistently won and been competitive since he has been there. He has won at every level he has been at. He is a real good coach. You should keep him.

When a 49ers fan tells you to extend your coach you should fire him ...

Latest posts