Exhibition game in the real Vancouver.

bubbrubb

Reaction score
I remember the Seahawks used to do exhibition games in Vancouver at the old BC Place stadium.

I cant remember what the game was called, but what are the chances they come back up and do this again?

I am seeing more and more Seahawks gear around town and I know the CFL-NFL don't have a legal obligation to coo-operate as per a few years ago. BC Place just got a massive facelift and I think it would be HUGE to bring a pre-season game up. I mean i think it would have a bigger draw then a game at QWEST plus Im not so sure economically the organization "profits" from pre-season games. Its more just a rehearsal of course.

If any execs read this board (yo whaddup schneidz!) bring the NFL to VANCOUVER!!!

oh and go hawks!

Hawknballs

Reaction score
I'd be all for moving a pre-season game from seattle to vancouver for the sake of creating more 12's north of the border, so long as it wasn't considered a season-ticket-holder package ticket.

but if that were the case I wonder if they would sell enough seats to actually make it worth while and maybe that's the reason they don't do it.

OP
OP
bubbrubb

bubbrubb

Reaction score
I think they would do alright...BC Place is 55k or so...but nicely updated.

Like u said its more about creating more 12s north of the border. I dont know many people who are into the CFL, but would rather have NFL....obviously a winning team makes the Hawks more viable. i want Vancouver to be Seahawk country too! I get pumped seeing ppl wearing new seahawks swag....my kind of people.

warden

Reaction score
bubbrubb":k20gw8ap said:
I remember the Seahawks used to do exhibition games in Vancouver at the old BC Place stadium.

I cant remember what the game was called, but what are the chances they come back up and do this again?

I am seeing more and more Seahawks gear around town and I know the CFL-NFL don't have a legal obligation to coo-operate as per a few years ago. BC Place just got a massive facelift and I think it would be HUGE to bring a pre-season game up. I mean i think it would have a bigger draw then a game at QWEST plus Im not so sure economically the organization "profits" from pre-season games. Its more just a rehearsal of course.

If any execs read this board (yo whaddup schneidz!) bring the NFL to VANCOUVER!!!

oh and go hawks!

The last and only time NFL football was played in Vancouver BC was in 1998. The game was called the America Bowl. The pre season game was between the 49ers and Seahawks. The Back Street Boys managed to completely destroy both National anthems. The game was poorly attended. 40,000 at best in a stadium which could hold up to 60,000 for a CFL game. Poor attendance prevented any chance of future games.

warden

Reaction score
Hawknballs":22t64m82 said:
I'd be all for moving a pre-season game from seattle to vancouver for the sake of creating more 12's north of the border, so long as it wasn't considered a season-ticket-holder package ticket.

but if that were the case I wonder if they would sell enough seats to actually make it worth while and maybe that's the reason they don't do it.

The only time it was done, the game was the 5th preseason game like the hall of fame game. Theleague were doing one preseason game in another country every year. Mexico city had a couple hugely attended games. The last one was suppose to be in China and the Seahawks were suppose to play in that one but it got cancelled. The league seems to have stopped doing this

warden

Reaction score
Rocket":3blotd77 said:
kinda dumb to name a town after an island it's not on, eh?
Or was that vice-a-versa?

Didn't name it after an Island, it was named after George Vancouver, a famous explorer who discovered this region

scutterhawk

Reaction score
bubbrubb":2vs44gjx said:

oh and go hawks!
Yeeeeaahh, I wouldn't hold my breath for too long on that idea, ESPECIALLY since that I-5 bridge went down, severing easy access to the Northern border.
But it don't hurt to dream. ;)

m0ng0

Reaction score
Vancouver Washington is the REAL Vancouver. we could get a couple thousand at kiggins bowl :D

OP
OP
bubbrubb

bubbrubb

Reaction score
scutterhawk":288o98dm said:
Yeeeeaahh, I wouldn't hold my breath for too long on that idea, ESPECIALLY since that I-5 bridge went down, severing easy access to the Northern border.

Looks like the BC economy just went down the drain! How am I supposed to get Chipotle now?!?

Wouldn't surprise me if they did a game at BC Place.....pres-season of course. I'll stay cautiously optimistic.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
bubbrubb":3alikweu said:
scutterhawk":3alikweu said:

Looks like the BC economy just went down the drain! How am I supposed to get Chipotle now?!?

Wouldn't surprise me if they did a game at BC Place.....pres-season of course. I'll stay cautiously optimistic.
Don't blame ya in the least.
Been to Vancouver (on my motorcycle) once with my ex-girlfriend, buddy, and his wife, we enjoyed the hell out of ourselves, great hospitality by some strangers who allowed us to pitch a tent in their yard, and were even invited in for breakfast that following day.
Have thought about taking the new wife of 36 years, for a vacation back up there.
THIS wife and I spent our honeymoon at he OTHER Vancouver BC ( Island ) great time there also.

CDN_C_Hawk

Reaction score
I'd be the first at the BC Place if the Hawks played here, but , I really can't seeing this happen due to economics. The most expensive seat for a BC Lions game is, $112. those are Club seats 200 level...the next highest price per game is, $76. The Lions probably average 25 - 30k a game and that is a generous number. If the Seahawks played a pre-season game there, I'd guess the cheapest ticket would be around $75 , and highest around $200. I just don't think regular CFL fans would pay that to see a NFL pre-season game, although true 12's would in a heart beat.

SeaTown81

Reaction score
As a season ticket holder who is forced to pay full price for preseason games, I would gladly given both games to Vancouver. And if Portland was equipped, split the two.

kearly

Reaction score
FWIW, the US Vancouver was settled 37 years earlier than the BC version. Fort Vancouver (1825) was the very first non-native settlement in the Pacific Northwest.

Jayburd14

Reaction score
m0ng0":vtckfav6 said:
Vancouver Washington is the REAL Vancouver. we could get a couple thousand at kiggins bowl :D
I think you could get a few more at McKenzie Stadium (by Evergreen HS)on the east end of town.

firebee

Reaction score
I think it would be a great idea to move a preseason game to Vancouver to drum up some Canadian support for the NFL. I've been a big supporter of moving the Buffalo Bills to Toronto and moving the Jaguars out West to Salt Lake City in order to create stronger fanbases for the NFL in markets that don't strongly support an NFL team or the NFL in general right now.

Fortunately, Seattle has a strong market, so their's really no need to move the Seahawks, but scheduling a preseason game and generating a Seahawk fanbase in Vancouver would be in the best interest of the NFL when you look at the profit-sharing nature of the CBA.

Also... A lot of people are waayyy too concerned about ticket prices. You wouldn't be scheduling preseason exhibition games in Vancouver to sell tickets and fill up a stadium. You schedule the preseason exhibition games to generate more fans that'll buy more NFL apparel and NFL products, which is where the NFL and NFL Teams generate a large amount of their revenue.

If the NFL restricts itself to the borders of the United States, football will never gain traction internationally like basketball. The biggest mistake made by NFL Europe was using the Europe teams as a minor league for American players and not developing European players to play in the NFL. It's amazing how fast a sport gains traction in a country when that country; such as Germany or China; has a star player in the league; such as Dirk Nowitzki or Yao Ming.

CANHawk

Reaction score
firebee":2vpa24ja said:
If the NFL restricts itself to the borders of the United States, football will never gain traction internationally like basketball. The biggest mistake made by NFL Europe was using the Europe teams as a minor league for American players and not developing European players to play in the NFL. It's amazing how fast a sport gains traction in a country when that country; such as Germany or China; has a star player in the league; such as Dirk Nowitzki or Yao Ming.

Well we've got an Aussie now... ;)

firebee

Reaction score
CANHawk":3addiv7q said:
firebee":3addiv7q said:

Yes and American football should gain popularity in Australia if Jesse Williams stands out, makes a name for himself and, most importantly, if the NFL markets him in Australia. "Look Kids, Jesse Williams is a big star in the NFL and you could be too if you learn how to play football." That's how a sport becomes more popular. Not... "Look kids, all these players from America are coming over to Europe to play football because they can't make an NFL team. Doesn't the sport look fun."

Subzero717

Reaction score
firebee":ykg79fa6 said:
CANHawk":ykg79fa6 said:
firebee":ykg79fa6 said:

Yes and American football should gain popularity in Australia if Jesse Williams stands out, makes a name for himself and, most importantly, if the NFL markets him in Australia. "Look Kids, Jesse Williams is a big star in the NFL and you could be too if you learn how to play football." That's how a sport becomes more popular. Not... "Look kids, all these players from America are coming over to Europe to play football because they can't make an NFL team. Doesn't the sport look fun."

Yes but I think the mind set down there is that we are "nancy boys" with all the helmets and pads.