Everyone's blaming Bevell, but......

hawker84

Reaction score
Hawker84, yes, you and I have different viewpoints on the person tasked with pushing the buttons on our team's offense, but I do appreciate your input and opinions and we both on the same side, after all, big picture. Now let's go get big games from Jimmy and C.J. and defeat those Saints!

:2thumbs: :irishdrinkers:

SeaChat

Reaction score
For as long as Bevell has been with the Seahawks, I've heard one fan after another screaming about how incompetent he is. I am not a subscriber to that way of thinking.

I think Bevell has done an amazing job, taking the talent that he has to work with and getting the most that he can out of them. I'm also not a subscriber to the thought that the Seahawk Oline is made up of a bunch of talentless nobodies either, as some would have you believe.

We have incredible talent and experience on our Oline, every single one of them are talented professionals, some with more seasoning than others, but you would be hard fought to assemble anything better. They are getting better and better with each passing week this year, and as we start coming down to the finishing line, you will an offensive line that will be really hard to stop, if not impossible.

Bevell is no fool, the plays he calls in keep our opponents on their heels and tries very hard to select plays that our cast of characters can successfully execute.

If you read many of my post you'll note that I don't assume that all the offensive holding calls are not aimed at trying to cripple our offensive effectiveness and success. Few of you would argue with me, in review of the excessive offensive holding calls against Seattle this year have been ones that are marginal at best if at all, and not at all by coincidence not equally being called against our opponents.

Do I think the NFL has an agenda? A preference if you will, as to which teams they want to see succeed over others? I am not alone in my concerns about this sort of thing going on. Its been repeatedly been pointed out by various expert commentary, that the offensive holding penalties, because they are marginal at best usually, and have the greatest crippling effect on a teams efforts to win a game.

Take a hard look at the Seahawks games this year, win or loose, we have been plagued with offensive holding penalties against us, and I wouldn't think it so unusual except that when you go back and watch the replays of these same games, you'll note that the opponents are replicating the same offensive tactics as the Seahawk Online players are, the only notable difference is no penalties are being called on their side of the ball.

I don't think their should be either, referee's don't generally call these marginal and subjective penalties, instead they let the players play and work it out themselves. So back to Bevell, if that incompetent, no talent recruiting bum got us to two Super bowls, and a razors edge near 3rd one, and most likely another one this year, with a bunch of no talent players as some have suggested, then I'd suggest that he is nothing short of a miracle worker.

I vote we keep Pete and Bevell, they are the best thing to happen to the Seahawks in 40 years of football in Seattle.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
If Bevell were so bad, then why would Pete and JS keep him? If you think Bevell should be fired, then you basically are questioning Pete and JS.

And once again, I'll state this (my last post on this got deleted because I accidentally tied in some politics): Every week there is a new fire Bevell thread. You can cry and whine about him all you want, but he isn't going anywhere. So what is the point of discussing it? Bevell isn't going anywhere. So why not discuss something that actually has some substance. Move on from the fire Bevell thing, because it gets old, real fast. The Fire Bevell discussion was cool like two years ago.

mrt144

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":1mro2tqh said:
If Bevell were so bad, then why would Pete and JS keep him? If you think Bevell should be fired, then you basically are questioning Pete and JS.

And once again, I'll state this (my last post on this got deleted because I accidentally tied in some politics): Every week there is a new fire Bevell thread. You can cry and whine about him all you want, but he isn't going anywhere. So what is the point of discussing it? Bevell isn't going anywhere. So why not discuss something that actually has some substance. Move on from the fire Bevell thing, because it gets old, real fast. The Fire Bevell discussion was cool like two years ago.

Catharsis.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
pacific101":1xsg111l said:
For as long as Befell has been with the Seahawks, I've heard one fan after another screaming about how incompetent he is. I am not a subscriber to that way of thinking.
I think Befell has done an amazing job, taking the talent that he has to work with and getting the most that he can out of them. I'm also not a subscriber to the thought that the Seahawk Oline is made up of a bunch of talentless nobodies either, as some would have you believe.
We have incredible talent and experience on our Oline, every single one of them are talented professionals, some with more seasoning than others, but you would be hard fought to assemble anything better. They are getting better and better with each passing week this year, and as we start coming down to the finishing line, you will an offensive line that will be really hard to stop, if not impossible.

Bevell is no fool, the plays he calls in keep our opponents on their heels and tries very hard to select plays that our cast of characters can successfully execute.

If you read many of my post you'll note that I don't assume that all the offensive holding calls are not aimed at trying to cripple our offensive effectiveness and success. Few of you would argue with me, in review of the excessive offensive holding calls against Seattle this year have been ones that are marginal at best if at all, and not at all by coincidence not equally being called against our opponents.

Do I think the NFL has an agenda? A preference if you will, as to which teams they want to see succeed over others? I am not alone in my concerns about this sort of thing going on. Its been repeatedly been pointed out by various expert commentary, that the offensive holding penalties, because they are marginal at best usually, and have the greatest crippling effect on a teams efforts to win a game.

Take a hard look at the Seahawks games this year, win or loose, we have been plagued with offensive holding penalties against us, and I wouldn't think it so unusual except that when you go back and watch the replays of these same games, you'll note that the opponents are replicating the same offensive tactics as the Seahawk Online players are, the only notable difference is no penalties are being called on their side of the ball.

I don't think their should be either, referee's don't generally call these marginal and subjective penalties, instead they let the players play and work it out themselves. So back to Bevell, if that incompetent, no talent recruiting bum got us to two Super bowls, and a razors edge near 3rd one, and most likely another one this year, with a bunch of no talent players as some have suggested, then I'd suggest that he is nothing short of a miracle worker.

I vote we keep Pete and Befell, they are the best thing to happen to the Seahawks in 40 years of football in Seattle.

"Befell" is a miracle worker, one of the best things in 40 years and the NFL is actively conspiring against us?

Ok then.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":md6i3qyl said:

Heaven forbid if we ever question a decision made by PCJS. Because they are without question infallible and not subject to any scrutiny.

formido

Reaction score
Bevell is a bog standard, replacement level OC, which is disappointing on a team that prides itself on competing. He, or whoever sets the game plan philosophy, has cost us games, of course. Thanks to Wilson's passing, mobility, and effect on the run game by his running and opening up running lanes with the read option, we've still had an elite offense most of the last 4 1/2 years.

However, this game wasn't on the offensive staff's game planning. The game plan was perfect. Wilson had the 2nd quickest time to pass of any QB all week! We mostly tried quick passes. We didn't run ineffective dives on 1st and 2nd down all game long, hoping to impose our will, while instead letting the opponent impose theirs on us.

It just didn't work, because our offensive line was too terrible and Arizona's defense is too good.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Pacific, you need to post more often. Good stuff. And I agree that holding is a call officials can use if they have an agenda to impede a certain team's chances of winning.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":c50b57in said:
Hawk-Lock":c50b57in said:

Heaven forbid if we ever question a decision made by PCJS. Because they are without question infallible and not subject to any scrutiny.

I trust Pete and JS 10000000000X more than anyone on this forum.

mrt144

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":y97o3ozs said:
West TX Hawk":y97o3ozs said:
Hawk-Lock":y97o3ozs said:

And you spend 1000000000x more time talking to people on this forum than PCJS in any way shape or form ;)

Largent80

Reaction score
With RW not fully healthy and able to run like in the past, teams are mega blitzing us. Our tackles are trying but they lack.

Until RW gets back to the way he was (if ever) they will keep blitzing. Bevell needs to come up with some blitz beating plays.

nash72

Reaction score
pacific101":2pea4oth said:

Your post lost all relevance as soon as this was typed. The Seahawks have one of the worst offensive lines, if not THE, in the entire league. How can anybody say that line has incredible talent and experience? What a mind boggling statement. Better and better with each passing week? They just got absolutely annihilated by the Cardinals.

HawkGA

Reaction score
I think this is a big week for Bevell. Either he game plans knowing the tackles suck, and shows at least a bit of awareness, or he doesn't and proves most of the doubters right about his inability to adjust.

Threedee

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":2h39jrjw said:
West TX Hawk":2h39jrjw said:
Hawk-Lock":2h39jrjw said:

And their judgement to trust Bevell has netted them one SB victory instead of two.

SeaChat

Reaction score
nash72":fqu6ixgi said:
pacific101":fqu6ixgi said:

Your post lost all relevance as soon as this was typed. The Seahawks have one of the worst offensive lines, if not THE, in the entire league. How can anybody say that line has incredible talent and experience? What a mind boggling statement. Better and better with each passing week? They just got absolutely annihilated by the Cardinals.

I'm always open to criticisms and certainly respect the fact that not everyone is going to see things the way I do. Consider for a moment how many thousands of kids have competed on football fields across this country year after year, and how elite a player you have to be at your given position to find your way on to the starting roster of an NFL teams offensive roster. Consider again the success that the Seahawk scouts have had in bringing these talented standouts into our team. They most certainly are some of the most talented professional players on the field today.

I think if you ignore the fact that in Arizona, from the onset it was clear to anyone watching the game, that the Seahawks were going to be fighting an uphill battle with the officials. Remember back when the Seahawks successfully stopped a third and two yard conversion, and the lead referee ran up, ignoring the placement of the ball by one of his officials and signalled a first down anyway? It was retracted thereafter when he realized that it was not nearly close enough to a first down to pull that call off.

What it did do, in the room of people I was watching the game with, was signal to all of us, who were Seahawk fans, that if we were going to walk off the field winners that night, we were going to have to not only whip Arizona's ass, but we were going to have to whip the Referee's asses too. They were determined to teach the Seahawks a lesson about not criticizing their officiating publicly like we had following the Falcon game.

So for the rest of the game they dished out what might possibly be one of the highest number of offensive holding calls I can remember ever seeing issued against our Oline, and it seemed that they always came at the point where we were trying to convert on 3rd downs, pinning us down with impossible yardage situations.

So I guess if you want to totally ignore the obvious and assess Russell and his Oline's performance as though all of that monkey business was completely legit and deserved, then you still have to make on hell of a case for the Seahawks offensive line, who battled back through everything that Arizona could throw at them, and everything they inflicted on themselves penalty wise if that is the way you want to see, and very nearly defeated the Arizona Cardinal's at home with arguably one of the top defenses in the NFL, and did in fact take them to a draw.

The outcome of that game was not a testament to the Arizona Cardinal's who had the officials doing everything in their power to hand the game, and even with that they failed. It is a testament to the Seahawks, undeniably greatest defensive line in the NFL today, and like it or not, and roll the stats and numbers all you want, still one crazy great offensive line that stuck together against nearly impossible odds and never gave up, never stopped believing in themselves, not for one second and walked out of that stadium undefeated that night.

That is what a draw is, UNDFEATED. The officials are the ones that really got beat that night, in spite of their best efforts, they were unable to deliver a defeat to the Seahawks. In my book that makes Russell Wilson and this phenomenal assembly of talent on both sides of the ball, perhaps one of the best teams in the NFL today, and I believe by seasons end, there won't be too many folks thinking I've been drinking flavored koolaid and don't know what I'm talking about, when I make these seemingly crazy assertions about these wonderfully talented and dedicated group of men.

nash72

Reaction score
The referees have nothing to do with what we're talking about though. I'm not concerned with the holding calls and home cooking Arizona received. I'm more concerned with how Arizona was blowing by Sowell and the others exposing how bad they are. You keep making reference to how the Seahawks Olineman are in the NFL so they have to be awesome, but it doesnt work that way. Sure they are better at their job than any average Joe off the street or even a lot of college players at the same position, but you need to remember there are different levels of skill we are talking about. Example, if you became the starting lineman on a football team that resides within a division of 6 other teams and you are ineffective allowing the most sacks in the division and leaving your QB with constant pressure, are you still considered good? Maybe your better than people who never played the game, but your not considered good to anybody that watches, plays, or knows the game. Thats whats going on with the Seahawks. Sure they are professional athletes, but in the confines of the entire NFL, they are bottom feeders talent wise. It shouldnt be hard to understand.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
nash72":y1vfvajv said:
The referees have nothing to do with what we're talking about though. I'm not concerned with the holding calls and home cooking Arizona received. I'm more concerned with how Arizona was blowing by Sowell and the others exposing how bad they are. You keep making reference to how the Seahawks Olineman are in the NFL so they have to be awesome, but it doesnt work that way. Sure they are better at their job than any average Joe off the street or even a lot of college players at the same position, but you need to remember there are different levels of skill we are talking about. Example, if you became the starting lineman on a football team that resides within a division of 6 other teams and you are ineffective allowing the most sacks in the division and leaving your QB with constant pressure, are you still considered good? Maybe your better than people who never played the game, but your not considered good to anybody that watches, plays, or knows the game. Thats whats going on with the Seahawks. Sure they are professional athletes, but in the confines of the entire NFL, they are bottom feeders talent wise. It shouldnt be hard to understand.

I agree with most of what you said but the officials do have a hand in it and last game was a huge hand.

We and every team tests the waters to see what they can get away with early in games. It was blatantly obvious our lineman weren't going to get away with anything so you have to adjust for that. That leaves your lineman short reaching and not being nearly as affective.

Add to that allowing AZ to set pick plays with no calls (as Sherman even pointed out) and the defenders are pinning thier ears back knowing they can get to the QB.

It doesn't explain all the poor play but it definitely is a factor and probably why Wilson and Sowell both got injured.

Call the pick plays or actual holding and the defense can't be as aggressive.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Threedee":197tv38a said:
Hawk-Lock":197tv38a said:
West TX Hawk":197tv38a said:
Hawk-Lock":197tv38a said:

And their judgement to trust Bevell has netted them one SB victory instead of two.

You're naive to think that was anyone's final call other than Pete.

Sports Illustrated:
"I’ve heard or read all the detailed and impassioned defenses of the call—which was made by Seattle offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell and approved by Carroll."

This is the fatal flaw with all you Bevell haters, this is Pete's team. Period. His schemes, his offensive philosophies, his plays, his players, his coaches..............his everything. Bevell doesn't pick his nose without Pete giving him permission.

Pete and his coordinators meet every week to install the game plan, schemes and plays. Then Bevell and Pete go over it with Russell and the other players during walkthroughs. What the plan is, what will work, what won't work, first 2-3 series of scripted plays and any early adjustments they might have to make. Then at half time they do the same. But again, Pete makes the final call.

So if you're thinking about creating the 89,431st Fire Bevell thread............change Bevell to "Pete." Doesn't sound very good huh? Nope, it doesn't.

Latest posts