Ending Games Early due to Injury

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
The only reason to suspend a game IMO is some catastrophic event that impacts everyone in the stadium, and maybe everyone in the city. Lightning storm with ground strikes approaching, earthquake, terrorist attack, tornado warning, that sort of thing.

But only in the immediate vicinity, and only for the duration of the threat. After the terrorist attacks on September 11, 2001, the NFL suspended games for three or four weeks. The immediate danger had passed, and the country was in desperate need of a distraction, and they should have kept playing after the first week, for the good of the country.

Somebody getting injured on the field during play? Get him to the nearest hospital and continue the game.

On board with most of this. Even in the extreme example of Damar, the players should have gotten the night in team hotels to Figure out how best to play the game for him the next day. With most weather, you play the next day.

kidhawk

Reaction score
I’m hopeful this was just extra caution for pre-season games and not a norm for the regular season.

I'm with you on this one. With pre-season games, they are basically just practice scrimmage games. They are only good for preparation. I have no problem with stopping those games. Regular season games are another story. Each game can have a trickle down effect across the league, so you have to be very cautious when deciding to postpone/cancel those games.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
If it extends into the regular season games the NFL is going to have a major problem. Saying these are serious enough situations to suspend games and having multiple games suspended a year is going to prompt investigation and further action on whether the entertainment justifies the risk and if it should be allowed to continue in its present form.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
It was done in the preseason. In the grand scope of things these games really don't matter. I doubt they will end games in the regular season for these situations early. Unless it's absolutely catastrophic.

morgulon1

Reaction score
Stopping games because of injury sets a bad precedent. The NFL is taking the game away in incremental steps. I wonder what it will look like in 10 years.