Ending Games Early due to Injury

Crizilla

Reaction score
Seeing guys leave the field on stretchers makes me feel sick. I don't mind if they end games because of it. Anything can happen in sports I get it but we've seen it in the NFL more than other sports lately. A broken foot or torn ACL is one thing but if dudes are literally getting knocked out or concussion it's not worth playing. We have UFC for that. NFL is about team work and being physical to an extent yes but not border line killing dudes.

OP
OP
Cyrus12

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Ya but then 10 min later you get the report they are fine and moving around. Football is a violent sport and not for the timid to either watch or play. So should fans get a refund on the ticket for not getting to watch an entire game? Concussions are gonna happen almost every game..some will be out cold and look bad. So shut down the game?

JPatera76

Reaction score
I mean the dude took a direct shoulder to the helmet and was out before he was even finished being tackled. Pretty worrisome tbh. And for his safety I get the stretcher and stuff, for all anyone knew he could've been knocked out with a broken neck or something as well.

Then again ... if the NFL "Cared" why tf is Tua still playing.

RedAlice

Reaction score
I mean the dude took a direct shoulder to the helmet and was out before he was even finished being tackled. Pretty worrisome tbh. And for his safety I get the stretcher and stuff, for all anyone knew he could've been knocked out with a broken neck or something as well.

Then again ... if the NFL "Cared" why tf is Tua still playing.

Tua should not be playing. (If I loved him, he wouldn’t be).

But this is kinda to what I said: it’s his choice and this isn’t a desk job. It’s a gladiator sport at core.

You can’t fully remove the physical aspect from a physical sport.

RedAlice

Reaction score
We all watch the game, and it’s a physical game.

Attachments

• A114D947-5401-4295-832E-D206C0937755.jpeg
    A114D947-5401-4295-832E-D206C0937755.jpeg
    83.8 KB · Views: 6

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
I don't care about preseason. Makes sense to suspend the remainder of those ones.

Usual games, sure, the show must go on except in case of literal tragedy

Im not for this becoming a regular season thing.

Frankly, when Hamlin went down, I thought the bills should have stayed in Cincinnati overnight, then played the Bengals.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Im not for this becoming a regular season thing.

Frankly, when Hamlin went down, I thought the bills should have stayed in Cincinnati overnight, then played the Bengals.
It was such an unprecedented and raw thing at the time. I'm glad the league largely left it up to the teams in that scenario, but yeah, should be some guidelines going forward so we're not playing it by ear should something like that come to pass again.

RedAlice

Reaction score
Medical issues need recognized.

Sheer power to suspend games …. No.

Talk about baiting and sports betting. Yeesh.

RedAlice

Reaction score
It’s not immediately correlated, but look at Kamara.

An elevator. A fight. His entourage. No criminal charges, a 4 game suspension.

How easy is that to throw by any player wanting to put money through his friends?

If getting hurt suspends games, how much does an unpaid come up from PS player need?

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
It was such an unprecedented and raw thing at the time. I'm glad the league largely left it up to the teams in that scenario, but yeah, should be some guidelines going forward so we're not playing it by ear should something like that come to pass again.

I don’t think those guidelines should be whatever the coaches feel like, as happened both with Hamlin and the two preseason games. The initial shock is immediate, but players have played through The death of their parents or the birth of their children. They get one day if that.

The players should have resumed the game in honor of Hamlin the next day. You aren’t being paid millions for nothing.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
The only reason to suspend a game IMO is some catastrophic event that impacts everyone in the stadium, and maybe everyone in the city. Lightning storm with ground strikes approaching, earthquake, terrorist attack, tornado warning, that sort of thing.

But only in the immediate vicinity, and only for the duration of the threat. After the terrorist attacks on September 11, 2001, the NFL suspended games for three or four weeks. The immediate danger had passed, and the country was in desperate need of a distraction, and they should have kept playing after the first week, for the good of the country.

Somebody getting injured on the field during play? Get him to the nearest hospital and continue the game.

RedAlice

Reaction score
I know I am cynical and will be judged by Hawk fans, but the NFL delivered a win after. 9/11.

An undeserved one.