Dunlap traded to Seattle

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":o45xjyey said:
This pretty much means he’s the best in the market that is available.

That doesn’t make him the right choice, more or less the only choice..

Doesn't mean he's the best available player on the market, it means he's the best available player on the market................that we can afford cap wise and player/picks given up wise.

I'm sure there are players other team's are dangling out for 1st and 2nd round picks.

How could anyone not like this trade? It's all upside. You gave up nothing, in fact trading Finney saved you cap space, and he's not even a starter.

Again, all upside. No downside. At worst he's a bit role player that's over the hill........at best he's a beast finally helping a very bad D-line play better with sacks and pressures.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/1321511752966664192[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/BradyHenderson/status/1321494566063665153[/tweet]

balakoth

Reaction score
Why do we need Britt or friggen Hunt at this point ? Pocic is doing bad in your guy's eyes? da hell??

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
balakoth":2z9i37m3 said:
Why do we need Britt or friggen Hunt at this point ? Pocic is doing bad in your guy's eyes? da hell??

Because the only backup center on the roster just got traded. You need someone able to step in if Pocic goes down. Center is a very cerebral position, and having a backup who knows how to operate there is absolutely critical.

PNW

Reaction score
Also curious for what John has in store for us, I have complete faith that he’ll get everything figured out and us under the cap. Curious what other moves he has in store still....I love the drama haha

FearTheHawk

Reaction score
I'd rather have pretty much anyone over Finney. the fact that the Hawks paid for him and then he drew horrid reports from camp is a bad sign. I'm hyped that they were able to dump his salary. And I think a big reason behind Dunlap's drop off this year is prob due to his unhappiness/lack of motivation. Mental state plays a big role in this game.

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
ivotuk":36dwpkab said:
Examining Carlos Dunlap's Value Ahead of the Trade Deadline

If Cincinnati had traded Dunlap in the offseason, they could've gotten a third or fourth-round pick. He was easily the Bengals' best defensive player in 2019. Dunlap had eight sacks and 25 tackles in Cincinnati's final seven games.

He has one sack and 18 tackles in the Bengals' first seven games this season. Combine that with social media and his attitude and his trade value has taken a massive hit.

If you're a team like the Seahawks or Raiders, why give up anything of value for Dunlap when the Bengals may release him?

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/news/dun ... e-deadline

Lmao, why would any GM base future moves on speculation of some writer that Dunlap "may be" released in the future? I swear these writers get further up their own poopers every season. SMH.

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
Followthelegion":30qi2x1g said:
has anyone done the math on the cap hit?

As per field yates, we were number 32 in available cap space at $1.3m:

https://twitter.com/FieldYates/status/1 ... 8728114177

With the Dunlap for Finney swap, whats the cap differential this year? I assume we need to do a big contract restructure of someone to fit this in under the cap?

They likely have already finished moving money around, can't wait to hear how they did it. They still have to pay snacks when he gets to the roster too, I'm sure.

mikeak

Reaction score
rcaido":ueg8y86w said:
Wow, JS did it again! Not only we get our man, we got rid of a crappy useless contact!

Plus we still have Hollister we can use for trade bait. He will probably get a showcase this Sunday is my guess if we dont trade him this week.

It is pretty funny take to not criticize JS for signing Finney in the off-season, waste $4.5M on guarantees but instead turn around and applaud him for getting rid of the player and bad contract he just signed....

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
mikeak":jizc6e83 said:
rcaido":jizc6e83 said:
Wow, JS did it again! Not only we get our man, we got rid of a crappy useless contact!

Plus we still have Hollister we can use for trade bait. He will probably get a showcase this Sunday is my guess if we dont trade him this week.

It is pretty funny take to not criticize JS for signing Finney in the off-season, waste $4.5M on guarantees but instead turn around and applaud him for getting rid of the player and bad contract he just signed....

Finney has played well in his career. Fine to take a shot. Even better to acknowledge that Pocic beat him out, and get something BACK for him.

Pocic is playing really good football. Didn't work out with Finney, turned around and parlayed him into a guy with the potential to be a transformative addition to the defensive line rotation. That deserves credit.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
mikeak":3m62j9wr said:
rcaido":3m62j9wr said:

That's not a funny take at all. Call it what you want - sunk cost, water under the bridge, not throwing good money after bad, only the most negative type of person would continue to hold onto the past like that.

mikeak

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2lio1lc8 said:
TheLegendOfBoom":2lio1lc8 said:
This pretty much means he’s the best in the market that is available.

That doesn’t make him the right choice, more or less the only choice..

Doesn't mean he's the best available player on the market, it means he's the best available player on the market................that we can afford cap wise and player/picks given up wise.

I'm sure there are players other team's are dangling out for 1st and 2nd round picks.

How could anyone not like this trade? It's all upside. You gave up nothing, in fact trading Finney saved you cap space, and he's not even a starter.

Again, all upside. No downside. At worst he's a bit role player that's over the hill........at best he's a beast finally helping a very bad D-line play better with sacks and pressures.

I don't think we save cap space. We eat the $4.5M signing bonus for Finney, trade away $1.47M salary for this year and instead we take on $4.58M for Dunlap

Making the net cost to the cap for this year $3+M meaning some player got salary converted to signing bonus

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1321516881317138434[/tweet]

This is why I thought a Dunlap trade was pretty unlikely. But, Cincinnati has been breaking with a lot of their longstanding precedents lately, if 2020 free agency is any indication.

mikeak

Reaction score
GeekHawk":3scuhfz9 said:
mikeak":3scuhfz9 said:
rcaido":3scuhfz9 said:

That's not a funny take at all. Call it what you want - sunk cost, water under the bridge, not throwing good money after bad, only the most negative type of person would continue to hold onto the past like that.

From a cost perspective I get sunk cost. From an evaluation of a GM I disagree. Signing players not worth it counts as something. Trading them away counts as something. You don't just applaud when they get rid of them. If this was a five year deal gone wrong year 3 fine, but this was an off-season where Finney was paid $4.5M guaranteed and Olsen $7M between guaranteed and salary. Money that just about everyone following the team think should have been spent on pass rush.

I am good with this deal, glad it was done, but won't give JS credit for getting rid of a bad contract

Rat

Reaction score
Love this! I’ve liked Dunlap for a long time, and even made a few posts before the season wondering if we could land he or Geno Atkins since the bengals are in a clear rebuild. We stole him!

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
mikeak":1mbwxpey said:
GeekHawk":1mbwxpey said:
mikeak":1mbwxpey said:
rcaido":1mbwxpey said:

From a cost perspective I get sunk cost. From an evaluation of a GM I disagree. Signing players not worth it counts as something. Trading them away counts as something. You don't just applaud when they get rid of them. If this was a five year deal gone wrong year 3 fine, but this was an off-season where Finney was paid $4.5M guaranteed and Olsen $7M between guaranteed and salary. Money that just about everyone following the team think should have been spent on pass rush.

I am good with this deal, glad it was done, but won't give JS credit for getting rid of a bad contract

Process over results. Let's go through the timeline. The lineman market is overpaid, try to find value. Finney comes from a team that produces good lineman and has played well in the past. Pocic is an unknown, so you lock up a promising IOL and Finney and throw them into competition.

Finney loses. Sure, it happens - not every signing works out. Pocic is playing great. Keep him as backup, wait for trade deadline.

A player of worth is disgruntled, appears on market. Offer up Finney and a seventh, get Dunlap in return.

Not every signing results in a starter, and Finney was making fringe starter money for a free agent in an inflated OL market. Come on, it's an excellent move to turn Finney into a great trade for a player at a heavy need spot. The pass rush market has mostly underwhelmed this season, anyway.

Latest posts