Duane Brown vs Sheldon Richardson

mikeak

Reaction score
A-Dog":26s1qi1e said:
mikeak":26s1qi1e said:
I guess I am confused (as it relates to the CAP) on why it is good news that they don't command more than they are already making

It's good news relative to guys like Sheldon Richardson and Paul Richardson, who are in line to double their current salaries.

mikeak":26s1qi1e said:
We don't have much room at all for next year's cap and the guys that are FA after this year are not accounted for. So if they make more or less next year vs this year is not as relevant as if they make a significant amount.

According to overthecap.com, if we move on from Avril and Lane, we'll have over $30M in available cap space. Easily enough to re-sign Richardson and Graham and have enough left over to add depth, pay draft pics, etc. (remember their 1st year cap hits will be relatively low).

Overthecap and Spotrac differ significantly. They are showing approximately the same committed for 2018 but overthecap is showing $20M in available cap but spotrac is only showing $7million available. It depends on how they view the available cap number for 2018 which we don't know yet

Avril is $7.5M saving if cut next year and Lane is $4.75M saving so that is $10M -- I agree they will both be cut

Regardless my point remains if we re-sign any player I just wanted it to be cleared that if their salary goes up or down is not the main point. The main point is how much money is it as it is not accounted for under the current cap forecast. A $20M player now that gets $15M next year still hurt the Cap more than re-signing a player getting $2M now and who gets $3M next year. So if the salary goes up or down is irrelevant

Example will be Luke Willson vs Graham. Double Willson's salary and he is still likelier to be re-signed than Graham whos salary may stay the same.......

Separately Sgt. Largent -- I meant Sheldon Richardson my bad for not spelling it out. I do hope Richardson stays - I have maintained that he is an elite receiver since his first season the last few games before he gets injured. The guy is great at getting his arms out and catching the ball

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
mikeak":2w0mqtkl said:
Separately Sgt. Largent -- I meant Sheldon Richardson my bad for not spelling it out. I do hope Richardson stays - I have maintained that he is an elite receiver since his first season the last few games before he gets injured. The guy is great at getting his arms out and catching the ball

I wouldn't call him "elite." There are only 10-15 elite receivers, and we have one already, his name is Angry Doug.

But Richardson certainly has the potential to be one if he can stay healthy and do what he's done this season for 2-3 more.

In fact I think it's a good time this off season to get him a relatively team friendly 2-3 year deal. He's played well, but not well enough to command any sort of elite receiver contract in FA.

Why wouldn't he agree to a 2-3 year "hey we'll give you a nice fair 3-5M a year contract now..........then in 2 years if you continue this great production and stay healthy, you'll get a monster contract, here or elsewhere."

Schuemansky

Reaction score
I really like Graham, but I am quite sure that Sgt. Largent is right. 30 mil of cap space sounds like a lot of money, but with all the one year deals done this year and with Frank Clark to be given an extension, guys like Graham and Joeckel won't get resigned. And I even think that the Sherman trade talks will be revived next spring.

A-Dog

Reaction score
Seymour":2a40vebw said:
If we attempt to sign the entire core to 3rd contracts, we will have signed our own kiss of death. :177692:

The 2019 offseason is going to be a time of reckoning for sure. As of now, these are the key players set to become UFAs after the 2018 season:

Earl Thomas
Richard Sherman
KJ Wright
Frank Clark
Duane Brown
Cliff Avril
Tyler Lockett
Mark Glowinski

A lot will depend on how these guys perform over the next 1.5 years, as well as how the young guys develop. The guys from this past draft absolutely have to come good if we want to get through this transition as contenders (I'm looking at Griffin, Hill, and Thompson in particular as the LOB gets older). You may see guys like Bennett and Chancellor forced to take salary cuts or be released after next season in order to make room.

So we're looking at two more championship runs with the current team mostly intact, followed by an Extreme Makeover, NFL Franchise Edition.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
I should clarify what I mean by Wilson not being the biggest statistical beneficiary of the Brown acquisition.

Wilson is already performing at an elite level, and his skills tend to both magnify problems with the offensive line, and mask them. Where I think we will see the biggest improvement in his game is that we will have fewer of those inexplicably bad outings where you just scratch your head and wonder what was going on with him. Having Brown in there will make the off games seem a little less off, and probably make Wilson's bad games look more like Rodger's and Brady's, rather than Blake Bortles'.

I do think he will look a lot better and more comfortable, I just don't think he is suddenly going to start accumulating Drew Bree's style numbers in a Carroll offense.

The running game has the most potential for improvement, but I'm not convinced this acquisition will be enough to really turn it into a dominant attack unless Rawls returns to form. As high as I was on the Lacy acquisition, he just doesn't seem to have it anymore. Prosise is perpetually unavailable, and McKissic doesn't really run between the tackles.

Freeing Graham up to split out more, and focus on getting downfield, should be a boon to his production. He will still chip block on routes, and occasionally be asked to stay in on protection, but I think he will do a lot less of that. Statistically speaking, I think he will show the biggest improvement with this acquisition, assuming he isn't held back by Bevell. Of course, you can argue that any improvement in his numbers will be reflected in Wilson' numbers. The difference being that Wilson already produces at a very high level, and the increase will be statistical noise for him. Whereas, Graham is underproducing, and so the increase for him will be more noticeable.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3i72rifi said:
Certainly possible, but it's year #3 with Graham, and other than these last couple of games, he's had a rough go of it.

If you're him and the Saints, Raiders, or whoever offered you the same or more than us? You wouldn't want to go when you're back to a passing style offense not having to block 50% of the time?

I think the Graham decision will come down to what he wants out of life. Stats and HOF? He will go somewhere else. Cash? Elsewhere. A ring? Depends on the offers. A nice career where he can fly his plane to work every day and practice and play in some of the nicest facilities in the NFL? Well..

I'm not saying it's impossible for him to get the HOF numbers here, but it will take a huge change in philosophy. He is on track for his worst full season, even if we ignore the first two games where he only had a combined 4 receptions for 9 yards. I would guess he is looking at something in the neighborhood of 71 catches for 750 yards if things don't change. This would be his worst yardage total and his second worst catch total of his career.

I do think that Brown changes the equation and may rescue Graham's season. I expect we will offer him, as another poster put it, the Tate treatment. A fair, though not particularly stellar offer that protects our cap. He will have to decide if the perks of living in Seattle are worth the loss of income, and the potential of never making the HOF. One thing we can offer him that, few other teams can, is significantly reduced income tax.

chris98251

Reaction score
Well we have Willson, Vannett should start showing why we drafted him as a Blocker and the bonus part of his receiving abilities and as stated we have Swoopes as a conversion project how looked pretty decent with limited time at the position and he blocks better then anyone expected.

Graham as much of asset he could be isn't earning his salary with what production he puts out, but that's on Cable and his ability to coach the line and Schneider's investment there. He should have been split wide a lot more to use his skill set to our best advantage. If were going to continue to keep him inside to block I would rather go with what we have currently in the wings and divert his salary to Brown and Richardson.

Fade

Reaction score
On both guys. Seattle would not have traded the picks they traded, if they didn't feel somewhat confident in being able to re-sign both. Duane Brown is all but a done deal at this point so I will just move on to Richardson.

Richardson is an interesting case.

I think he has been pushing the pocket every week, while consistently taking on double teams. He doesn't have the splashy numbers to show for it, he also has had at least 2 sacks stolen from him by teammates when he was about to get them himself. He has been a timely, and valuable add for the Hawks.

So the question is how would that translate on the open market if he doesn't have 8+ sacks? What would be the going rate for him? The sack numbers are a factor. Teams aren't going to pay a dude $15M a year if he only has 4 sacks on the season.

All I hope is Sheldon can see this as well, and doesn't get pissed off when the offers around the league aren't to his liking, and in spite signs with another team because it's the Seahawks fault (in his head).

Let us hope it turns into a special season, and he has a lot of fun, and wants to be back.

Josea16

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":3i2kf1nm said:
Pay Sheldon
This. And now that man literally is saving our defense. Thank God Wilson has decided to be the ENTIRE offense or we'd be straight screwed.

I hope Sheldon sees the difference of playing on an elite defense with an elite quarterback and understand statistics aren't always right and pure money isn't either.

I think he does. Seeing his pressures, he comes off as intelligent and well spoken and a guy that just wants respect. The Seahawks will do that all day long and collect him a ring or two.

mikeak

Reaction score
Everything may be out the window if we win a Super Bowl

Some guys will want to stay as it builds camaraderie that is worht something. Others will say "I got one, love this place but now I want to maximize money"

Hoping to have that problem :)

Latest posts