Doug Baldwin love

BASF

Reaction score
Harbaugh did not like Baldwin and let teams know it. I have always believed that is why he went undrafted.

Sun Tzu

Reaction score
I’ve done the best I could to clean this thread up.

@Maelstrom787
@SoulfishHawk

You guys know better, please take whatever beef you have to the shack or just ignore each other completely.

Both of you are great contributors but the back and forth on a personal level must stop.
Thanks for your cooperation.
Post edited by Pmedic

Completely goes against and undermines the spirit of why I cleaned up the thread.

Personal opinions of individual members belong in the Shack, or even better yet left unsaid.

Sorry/thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
CMD, Baldwin may not be HOFer because shorter career but he was elite and JNS to me seems like an Eldelman type or maybe hopefully Cooper Chupp type?
Definitely agree that his career would have needed to be longer for more serious consideration. He was definitely elite. If JSN plays like he's capable of, he'll quickly become one of the best receivers in the league.

chris98251

Reaction score
Harbaugh did not like Baldwin and let teams know it. I have always believed that is why he went undrafted.
Sherman and Baldwin took great pleasure in making Harbaughs Sundays miserable, Harbaugh was also the reason Sherman switched to Defense.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Doug was that good in College, but his combine was not that good. How good was he at Stanford? Good enough that John Schneider sent him a hand-written letter asking him to sign with the Seattle Seahawks. John knew he didn't have enough picks to grab ADB late, so he did everything he could to convince him to sign with the Seahawks as an UDFA. Luckily for us, we already had Sherman, and it was a done deal.

Sherm said he called Doug and said: "I need you here!"

Fabulous posts, thank you.
If I remember correctly, teams had (have) a limited amount of cash to award bonuses to UDFAs each year, and Doug got all of it.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Training camp fodder to arguably a top 5 (maybe top 3) receiver all time with the Seahawks. Tremendously underrated in the draft (in fact not rated at all you could say) and there's the media evidence ("Pedestrian") that he was continuously underrated during his career.

Loved his passion. Watch/listen to him tear a chunk out of Russell Wilson's ass during the frigid Minnesota playoff game.
He may have been UDFA, but I seriously doubt he was ever "training camp fodder."

renofox

Reaction score
He trashed both ADB and Sherm behind their backs. They joined forces in completely despising JH, with good reason.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
He trashed both ADB and Sherm behind their backs. They joined forces in completely despising JH, with good reason.
Yeah the look of karma catching up to him on his face at the end of the NFC Championship game was priceless.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Not on this team, we have historically mined the UDFA market all the way back from inception.
...with varying degrees of success.

In my opinion, the biggest mistake Tim Ruskell ever made wasn't putting the transition tag on Hutch, it was releasing Michael Bennett when he was a UDFA.

ivotuk

Reaction score
...with varying degrees of success.

In my opinion, the biggest mistake Tim Ruskell ever made wasn't putting the transition tag on Hutch, it was releasing Michael Bennett when he was a UDFA.
Gawd... Don't remind me. Losing Hutch put an end to our Super bowl hopes, ended Shaun Alexanders career, and drastically shortened Walter Jones career. Yes, Steve was that valuable.

Tiny Tim Ruskell's 2nd worst mistake was trading for Deion Branch, then paying him, while neglecting the good receivers we had on the team.

That's what Pete and John don't seem to understand, when you trade valuable draft capital for a player, then give him a big chunk of the cap, you're devaluing the guys that helped you build your franchise.

I know this is a little dramatic, but it's kind of like saying:
"Your sacrifices just aren't worth that much... we're getting a REAL player."

Boohman14

Reaction score
.....when you trade valuable draft capital for a player, then give him a big chunk of the cap, you're devaluing the guys that helped you build your franchise.

I know this is a little dramatic, but it's kind of like saying:
"Your sacrifices just aren't worth that much... we're getting a REAL player."
I totally felt this way when we traded for Jimmy Ham..er..Graham. We gave up Unger who was an effective center for a player in my opinion that didn't fit our style of offense.