Do we draft a QB?

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":3uyxvqsn said:
I say yes.

With the talk of BJ Daniels being a WR convert, we have a space for a 3rd stringer.

TJax isnt getting any younger and we could potentially have a small but not insignificant saving by having someone on a rookie deal for a few seasons.

We also have a boat load of draft picks.

He doesnt seem to fit our style of play but I wonder about Sean Mannion. I think he could become a decent pocket passer given time. A nice change of pace to RW.

Anyone have any othet thoughts on will they / who / where in the draft they look at a QB?

There is a problem to your change of pace at QB theory. Sure defenses would have to prepare for it. The bigger issue is that you have an offense that essentially caters to the strengths of Russell Wilson. If he were to be injured and you have a backup QB that is a classic drop back guy, the offense would sputter. The online isn't built for a drop back passer. We would quickly be down to the third guy before we knew what hit us. Any backup QB on this team needs to have a similar skills set to RW in order to see any success.

Chapow

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":1xblg3pa said:
It surely can't hurt for the opposition to potentially have to scheme for a different style of QB should the worst happen?

oldhawkfan":1xblg3pa said:
There is a problem to your change of pace at QB theory. Sure defenses would have to prepare for it.

How much time do you guys think defenses spend preparing for a teams backup QB?

I'd be willing to bet it's zero.

jkitsune

Reaction score
I think it's likely we take a QB in the 5th-7th round, if they think he could develop into a serviceable backup. A quality backup QB who shines in preseason can become a very valuable trade commodity, and is a good way of attempting to turn current late-round picks into future mid- or high-round picks.

That said, I highly doubt it would be as a 'change of pace' for RW. QBs aren't RBs. If you're taking snaps away from your starting QB, it's because your starting QB isn't good enough (see: Arizona Cardinals and Matt Leinart).

original poster

Reaction score
As has been mentioned, our backup would have to be a very similar skill set to Russ or our whole offense totally crumbles, right now it's simply not built to accommodate a pocket passer, he'd get killed.

That being said, it's a non issue for me personally right now. Wilsons scramble ability is just too good to get seriously hurt, not to say that doesn't change in X years when innevibitly he looses his ability to scramble as well as he does now, but that time is a long way off IMO. Our QB can put up half decent RB yardage, that's a legitimate threat that teams have to waste time prepping for which is always beneficial to us. The more time they invest scheming for his running the less time they're spedning on our other obvious key threats.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Yes "we" do. Bryce Petty in third or fourth round. He gets stupid when he runs, but does well in read option game.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":2lh1etfy said:
I say yes.

With the talk of BJ Daniels being a WR convert, we have a space for a 3rd stringer.

TJax isnt getting any younger and we could potentially have a small but not insignificant saving by having someone on a rookie deal for a few seasons.

We also have a boat load of draft picks.

He doesnt seem to fit our style of play but I wonder about Sean Mannion. I think he could become a decent pocket passer given time. A nice change of pace to RW.

Anyone have any othet thoughts on will they / who / where in the draft they look at a QB?

I think we will be replacing TJack either this year or next. Not sure if that will be in the draft or free agency.

The change of pace idea has me interested. How difficult (or more time consuming) is it to have a QB training outside the system? Is it worth it?

OP
OP
UK_Seahawk

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":h3op5ewm said:
The change of pace idea has me interested. How difficult (or more time consuming) is it to have a QB training outside the system? Is it worth it?

I guess it doesnt make sense when you really think about it. This makes the question which of the QB's available would be most comfortable in our current system minimising any drop off from RW3?

I havent really watched many of the upcoming draft hopefuls. Personally I'd go get Connor Shaw from the Browns practice squad (if he ends up back there).

Uncle Si

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":2dytledp said:
Uncle Si":2dytledp said:

I guess it doesnt make sense when you really think about it. This makes the question which of the QB's available would be most comfortable in our current system minimising any drop off from RW3?

Yeah, I don't really know. Maybe on the practice squad there is more freedom to train to the skillset of the player without too much emphasis on the system?

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I could see the Hawks trade a 6th or later for QB- Matt Barkley who Philly is shopping around. He's an really underutilized player with some real talent that could be developed. I know this somewhat off the wall but Barkley is much better than he's shown to now.

rideaducati

Reaction score
jammerhawk":k7eidrky said:
I could see the Hawks trade a 6th or later for QB- Matt Barkley who Philly is shopping around. He's an really underutilized player with some real talent that could be developed. I know this somewhat off the wall but Barkley is much better than he's shown to now.

I think he'd be an upgrade at the backup QB position and come at a cheaper price. I like this idea.

chris98251

Reaction score
Barkley is going to end up being a F.A. at the end of the day, why trade anything for him.

Seafan

Reaction score
If Tarvaris re-signs than an UDFA QB is the most likely approach to rookie QB aquisition.

Latest posts