DK!!!!!! PICK 64 ROUND 2 DK METCALF WR OLE MISS

knownone

Reaction score
I'd be less concerned about his agility and more concerned with his hands. As long as he can catch the ball, it really doesn't matter how agile he is.

mikeak

Reaction score
It is pretty funny that if we draft this guy with the 29th pick then that probably gets lots of positive feedback back here and then we come with Collier at this pick and everybody loves what we did

Just saying sometimes people overanlayze things

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
DK is not a good WR right now. But he IS good scheme fit. He needs to be in an offense where timing is less important than big play making. He is pretty much exactly what Russell Wilson needs. Just go deep and high point the ball. Should work out pretty well for Seattle.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
toffee":32ecbadr said:
Just for fun, a comparison of big fast dudes, Randy Moss, Calvin Johnson, Julio Jones, and now our own Metcalf:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randy_Moss
https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/calvin-johnson
https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/julio-jones
https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/dk-metcalf

Height - Weight - arm length - hand size:
Moss: 6'3.5" - 194 lbs - 34" - 9.5"
Johnson: 6'5" - 239 lbs - 33 3/8" - 9 1/4"
Jones: 6'3" - 220 lbs - 33 3/4" - 9 3/4"
Metcalf: 6'3" - 228 lbs - 34 7/8" - 9 7/8"

Almost clone of Jones with longer arms?

40 yards - Vertical Jump - broad jump - 3 cone - bench press
Moss: .....4.38 sec - 33.0" - 117" - 7.19 sec - ???
Johnson: 4.35 sec - 42.4" - 139" - ??? - ???
Jones: ....4.34 sec - 38.5" - 135" - 6.66 sec - 17 reps
Metcalf: ..4.33 sec - 40.5" - 134" - 7.38 sec - 27 reps

I was surprised and had to look twice at Randy Moss's 3 cone stat, and LOL at Calvin Johnson for refusing to perform 3 cones. Hoping our boy Metcalf can have CJ-ish career, I would be one happy rebel, hotty toddy.
Moss ran faster than 4.38 bro. He ran a 4.25, allegedly. And a 39 inch vertical.

https://proimageamerica.com/blogs/news/ ... -the-freak

EDIT- by the way, the wikipedia says the values are from the NFL combine. RANDY MOSS DID NOT ATTEND THE COMBINE (most likely due to marijuana).

EDIT 2- Your wikipedia article lists Randy Moss as just over 6 feet tall. He was 6 foot four. SMH who edits these things? I'm going to go try to fix it. It looks like some dumbarse used Santana Moss' numbers. Hopefully my edit, which deletes the entire NFL combine table, which he DID NOT WORK OUT AT, will stay. I'm sure the dummy mods will undo my CORRECT edit, though.

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
I love this pick. Physical freak, fits the offense to a T. And remember those combine numbers were put up 4 months after a broken neck.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
Fade":1v4vjg0w said:
toffee":1v4vjg0w said:
Fade":1v4vjg0w said:
toffee":1v4vjg0w said:
Of the two Rebel WRs, AJ. Brown was by far my favorite. Metcalf couldn’t unseat AJ as #1 WR last two seasons. It they are my alums so I love them both!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not really. The slot guy vs the outside big X.

Different players. Like trying to compare a leadoff hitter with someone who bats cleanup. Different skill sets entirely.

Metcalf fits the Seahawks perfectly. They will chuck it deep off of playaction, and Metcalf is going to feast.

I am reading that angry Doug might be done, with that Lockett the next slot WR with Metcalf playing flanker?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Metcalf is an X (Split End) . Calvin Johnson / Randy Moss type. a one trick pony, but it is a helluva trick.

He is the best deep ball target in this draft. Also an excellent red zone target with the ability to high point and catch in traffic, using his big frame and ridiculous vert. to go up and get it. He plays much bigger than 6-2 or whatever his list height is. He plays like he is 6-5, 6-6.

Very underrated after the catch, as he is a load, so smaller corners will have trouble bringing him down. If the corner misses the tackle he can take it to the house with his 4.3 speed.

There is higher bust potential with him then a lot of WRs in this draft for sure, but if that happens, I will bet it will be due to injury, not ability. He went to the perfect team.

They will ask him to play the David Moore spot. Which is pretty much running go & stop routes. With an occasional Slant/Post/Corner route thrown in.

They needed this player as it marries well with their run game.

You want to stack the box to stop Seattle's #1 run game? Now you will have to deal with Lockett & Metcalf running deep, and one of them will be single covered. Good luck with that, as Russell Wilson is one of the most accurate deep ball throwers in the game.

Check the breakdown video I posted above for a good scouting report on him.
One thing that fits so well that DK mentioned in his presser: He loves to block. Oh ya, he's coming to the right team.

Smellyman

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":1pbh0fkz said:
toffee":1pbh0fkz said:
Just for fun, a comparison of big fast dudes, Randy Moss, Calvin Johnson, Julio Jones, and now our own Metcalf:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randy_Moss
https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/calvin-johnson
https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/julio-jones
https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/dk-metcalf

Height - Weight - arm length - hand size:
Moss: 6'3.5" - 194 lbs - 34" - 9.5"
Johnson: 6'5" - 239 lbs - 33 3/8" - 9 1/4"
Jones: 6'3" - 220 lbs - 33 3/4" - 9 3/4"
Metcalf: 6'3" - 228 lbs - 34 7/8" - 9 7/8"

Almost clone of Jones with longer arms?

40 yards - Vertical Jump - broad jump - 3 cone - bench press
Moss: .....4.38 sec - 33.0" - 117" - 7.19 sec - ???
Johnson: 4.35 sec - 42.4" - 139" - ??? - ???
Jones: ....4.34 sec - 38.5" - 135" - 6.66 sec - 17 reps
Metcalf: ..4.33 sec - 40.5" - 134" - 7.38 sec - 27 reps

I was surprised and had to look twice at Randy Moss's 3 cone stat, and LOL at Calvin Johnson for refusing to perform 3 cones. Hoping our boy Metcalf can have CJ-ish career, I would be one happy rebel, hotty toddy.
Moss ran faster than 4.38 bro. He ran a 4.25, allegedly. And a 39 inch vertical.

EDIT- by the way, the wikipedia says the values are from the NFL combine. RANDY MOSS DID NOT ATTEND THE COMBINE (most likely due to marijuana).

EDIT 2- Your wikipedia article lists Randy Moss as just over 6 feet tall. He was 6 foot four. SMH who edits these things? I'm going to go try to fix it. It looks like some dumbarse used Santana Moss' numbers. Hopefully my edit, which deletes the entire NFL combine table, which he DID NOT WORK OUT AT, will stay. I'm sure the dummy mods will undo my CORRECT edit, though.

If it's not official time it cannot be trusted.

Hand times.....

toffee

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":2e3w68a9 said:

I kinda remember Randy was faster than 4.38sec, so was a bit surprised by the wiki stats. Wiki did get his height right, 6' 3 5/8".

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2r5o1jjz said:
Missed 16 games with injury, drops, terrible shuttle and cone numbers, thinnest route tree ever.

I can't get mad given where he was taken, but I wouldn't want him to have gone any higher.

His acceptance video made me love the guy, though. I do hope he works out. He sounds stoked.
One of the articles I read mentioned that he ran the shuttles much better at his pro-day, but didn't reference what the numbers were. Also, seeing his highlights, he doesn't really need those scramble abilities. (A little hyperbole, but today is the day for it).

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
I'll just leave this here and let the ones worrying about 3 cones look at it again as it was posted already IN THIS VERY THREAD!

[youtube]Y9EAnLHj2v4[/youtube]

chris98251

Reaction score
He needs to do well on Sideline box out routes, fly routes and Jump ball and fades. If were asking him to act like a possession receiver we drafted the wrong guy, to long and won't have that quick feet cut ability.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Snohomie":3ijbwidh said:
I was doing to do a series of posts in the draft forum on WRs, but then grad school laughed at me for thinking I'd have that much free time.

Anyways, the one player I got to actually writing about was DK. This (except for the last paragraph) was done when most mocks had DK in the top-10.

Note: Combine Information taken from this awesome Google Doc:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... /htmlview#

D.K. Metcalf, Ole Miss
6’3 3/8 228lbs 9 7/8 H

Kent Lee Platte's RAS Combine Scores
40-yard dash: 4.33 seconds 9.90 (TWR3 of 37)
Bench Press: 27 reps 9.97 (TWR1 of 42)
Vertical Jump: 40.5 inches 9.69 (TWR3 of 42)
Broad Jump: 134 inches 9.92 (WR5 of 42)
3-cone drill: 7.38 seconds 1.04 (WR27 of 29)
20-yard shuttle: 4.50 seconds 1.00 (WR30 of 33)

After putting on a ridiculous (that’s really the correct word for being 90th percentile in every explosive drill and 10th percentile in the fluidity drills) combine, Metcalf is generally considered the top WR in most mock drafts. He’s also the first WR I sat down to evaluate. He left school after his rSo season, having suffered a broken foot in his freshman season (cost him 10 games) and a neck injury in 2018 (cost him 5 games).

Pros: He’s one of the SPARQ-iest WRs you’ll ever see (a ridiculous 139.7 rating). Huge, both tall and in bulk, looks like you could sneak him into the linebackers meeting room and nobody would notice. Great wingspan and solid hand size. Pretty explosive off the line (elite for his size) with elite deep speed. Eats up cushion and gets behind cornerbacks. Tracks the deep ball well and can make tough catches (sometimes). Several releases to get open vs press. Has some creativity in his deep routes – sells the threat of the comeback or post when getting vertical. Basically, he’s really good at getting open deep. Willing to fight for jump balls and wins there, good timing to high point and can move defenders with his strength. Can use his speed to set up comebacks and curls.

Cons: Probably the least variety I’ve seen in a route tree - very rarely ran an inside breaking route against man coverage. The 3-cone drill is so off-the-charts terrible that I wonder if the Ole Miss coaching staff just said “don’t let D.K. run inside routes”. Multiple drops in 4 games, some body catching but not great hands in general. He’s solid at deep balls, but with his size you’d expect him to win more often. Disinterested blocker in most circumstances, has a habit of watching the run rather than blocking for the runner. Not a great RAC guy – speed will get him some chunk plays, but doesn’t show a ton of wiggle or creativity.

Fit with the Seahawks: Seattle loves to throw deep and Metcalf should be elite at that part of the game. He’s going to create space for underneath routes because you can’t expect a corner to run with him all game, demanding safety help. He didn’t show a lot of consistency on scramble drills, but there were a couple times when his man got out of position and Metcalf just exploded to leave him in the dust. With his build, he should be a great blocker, but it appears to be an effort/willingness issue.

Overall view:
The combination of injuries, lack of evidence to suggest he can run short routes, hands, and mediocre blocking/YAC worry me a lot when some project superstardom for Metcalf. He seems like he will be a very useful starter, but it’s really hard to be a star WR based purely on prowess running vertical routes, especially since Metcalf doesn’t have Randy Moss level hands. I’m also having David Boston flashbacks (Boston basically body-built himself out of the league), Metcalf has already had injuries to two areas (feet/neck) that make me wonder how his body feels about supporting that kind of size. Still, his ability to get open deep will be valuable even if he can't put everything together.

Now that he’s a Seahawk: There’s a lot to like, and if Baldwin is really approaching the end of his career, selecting Metcalf enables Lockett to take over a lot of Doug’s slot snaps while Metcalf plays the “go deep” role to clear up space. At 64, it’s a lot easier to focus on what he can do (run deep and scare the piss out of DBs) than what he may never be able to do (develop into a well-rounded WR that can handle 130 targets a season).

Great stuff. Good to hear from you Kyle, and glad to hear your in Grad School. I know you talked about getting there, and unlike most people, you've actually made it. Takes a lot of hard work and study to accomplish.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
I know Russ throws an elite deep ball but watching
Brett Kollmann's breakdown in the Monstors film clip above, I wonder if our staff will make the same mistakes the Ole Miss staff did that limited DK's production?

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Really love this pick and just shocked he fell to the end of the 2nd. This guy has all the tools and looks to be a force in the RZ on fades. We may finally have landed that big bodied monster receiver Pete has coveted for years. No reason why this guy can’t contribute right away too.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
You know what they call someone that falls in love with combine stats.

A fool.

zchurch74

Reaction score
I’m ok with this pick but I really think Hurd would have been a better weapon. Having to cover Hurd and Lockett would be a nightmare for teams and if Doug comes back we would be dangeruss.

chris98251

Reaction score
Lockett and Metcalf and Moore on the field at the same time, does anyone have three defenders that could run with these guys?

Fade

Reaction score
brimsalabim":2luqv6d7 said:
I know Russ throws an elite deep ball but watching
Brett Kollmann's breakdown in the Monstors film clip above, I wonder if our staff will make the same mistakes the Ole Miss staff did that limited DK's production?

On a certain level, yes. Pete even mentioned it in the presser. They are just going to have him do what he is good at starting out.

The difference now though will be the QB throwing him the ball. Going from Jordan Ta'amu to Russell Wilson is going to do wonders for him.

He is still a very young developing prospect, so he is unpolished to say the least, but I see him excelling his rookie year with a lot of splash plays. People are going to tear him down because he doesn't play like a savvy 5th year senior, I get it.
His hands are very Kearse like at times, with inexplicable drops, but he is so damn good running deep it isn't funny. He will be in the running for OROY.

The injury factor is a bigger fear for me, much more than his polish.

I just want to see him run a deep over off of playaction. I will bet money it will go for a TD the first time they run that.

Muzz

Reaction score
He just reminds me of Christine Michael...Remember the Adrian Peterson comparisons? The guy is a specimen for sure thought.

Latest posts