DJack unpopular?

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
I think everyone loved him, but there was a point where during a game at home, against the Steelers I think, he caught a simple hitch and got a standing ovation because he didn't drop it. His dropsies were REALLY bad for a while it seemed and that's when some people started freaking out about him.

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
JonRud":mm2p6q8b said:
I loved DJack ever since I saw him run through the Rams defense for a long TD in Week 2 of the 2000 season at Husky Stadium. The Hawks lost that game but it's one of the best plays I ever saw live.

I was always a DJack fan even though he dropped too many balls. Had a huge TD catch in the NFC Championship to basically put the game away.

Yep. I liked him and thought he was a pretty damn good receiver, but he did go through the dropsies now and then.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
PlinytheCenter":1x6cj1z4 said:
JonRud":1x6cj1z4 said:
I loved DJack ever since I saw him run through the Rams defense for a long TD in Week 2 of the 2000 season at Husky Stadium. The Hawks lost that game but it's one of the best plays I ever saw live.

I was always a DJack fan even though he dropped too many balls. Had a huge TD catch in the NFC Championship to basically put the game away.

Yep. I liked him and thought he was a pretty damn good receiver, but he did go through the dropsies now and then.

I would never scoff at a fan wearing his jersey, or at DJack's Seahawk legacy, but yeah the dropsies have been a big part of the lasting memories. I think it was kind of a team-wide thing there for a while, so a lot of the negativity ascribed to DJack comes from the cumulative missed opportunities from our WRs. It's unwarranted and unfair.

Here's a good write-up about the misconceptions regarding DJack. It's by Kyle Rota, and says "Seahawks.net" below his name. I wasn't here in 2006, does anyone know him?

Kyle Rota":1x6cj1z4 said:
Myth – Jackson’s drops are indicative of an inability to catch:

If only it were true. Using Football Outsiders' Catch %, which takes the number of passes completed from passes thrown, Jackson finds himself in pretty good company. Jackson’s 58% catch percentage puts him in great company: Reggie Wayne (Colts, 58%), Marques Colston (Saints, 60%), Roy Williams (Lions, 58%), Joe Horn (Saints, 60%), Lee Evans (Bills, 57%), Hines Ward (Steelers, 59%), Terrell Owens (Cowboys, 54%), the list goes on and on. What else does Jackson have in common with those wide receivers? They’re all in the top 25 in DPAR (Defense-adjusted Points Above Replacement, which is explained here), Football Outsiders’ receiver ranking metric.

Just for giggles, let’s look at the fact that Jackson’s 58% blows the following receivers out of the water: Eagles WR Reggie Brown (51%), Rams WR and licensed Seahawks killer, Tory Holt (52%), Raiders WR Randy Moss (45%), and Seattle’s very own Deion Branch, who has caught just 51% of passes thrown his way.

drdiags

Reaction score
HawkAroundTheClock":2enev77t said:
Here's a good write-up about the misconceptions regarding DJack. It's by Kyle Rota, and says "Seahawks.net" below his name. I wasn't here in 2006, does anyone know him?

He goes by the username Snohomie now. Kyle used to be our young wonder kid. He was a mod for awhile, did a lot of scouting of players before English and Kearly came around. He was Doug/Todd/Brian McIntyre's protégé. Then he turned his back on the state of Washington and became a dyed in the wool Duck fan (just kidding Kyle).

He drops in from time to time. Just like our other NCAA scouting folks, he knows how to provide a great writeup detailing a player's attributes.

drdiags

Reaction score
One of the things some fans had an issue with DJack about was his absences from OTAs. That and his drops had some not fully on-board with DJack. I think he made some comments toward the end of his time here that rubbed some the wrong way. ToeKnee had a great avatar of him with that old-school winter hat on. I vaguely remember something about wanting Deion Branch money after TR traded for Branch getting the usual folks riled up.

I liked DJack. Though I didn't think he needed to do anything in XL to catch that TD he got the penalty on. Some called into question his effort on the ball up the sideline he didn't get into the endzone, but again that probably was more from the entire disappointment that was Superbowl XL.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
I think his stint with SF after he departed Seattle left a bad taste in some people's mouths.

I also think it's due in part to the fact that fans seem to be turning on a number of players from the early 2000s. That's just how it feels to me, anyway.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
D Jack had some big seasons for us, and he and Hass had definite chemistry. He was killing the Steelers on the first drive of the Super Bowl, right up to the b.s. call that negated his TD catch.

I loved me some #82.

OP
OP
SeeHawkRun

SeeHawkRun

Reaction score
I do remember the dropsies situation. But, I think I just gave him a pass because a) That beard/personality. And b) his overall production was pretty great, plus I still think he caught the first TD in Seahawks Super Bowl history, regardless of what the refs say ;)

Anyway, it was cool remembering those DJack games that some of you all posted about. Thanks for the little trip down memory lane. Go Hawks.

cdallan

Reaction score
I was a Djack fan, but I remember him starting to believe his own hype during the 2005 season. First thing was when he started referring to himself as Djack - he called himself that in his recorded TV intro to the NFCCC and I think the SB - "Djack, Florida". Then at the media week in interviews he just spewed a bunch of rubbish about having gone to Florida, like he was being sponsored by the Florida Tourist Board and paid $100 every time he gave the name of the state. Then in the SB he ran a couple of sideline routes far too close to the sideline, so when Hass put the ball outside him it was always going to be out (lost a couple of big chunk plays). Surely I am not imagining all of this?

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Are you sure they didn't think you said TJack? Sounds like a couple fairweathers that don't know the team much anyways and thought you were talking about Tarvaris.

I liked Djack tho. He was good for us for awhile

SharkHawk

Reaction score
Two thing no Hawk fan should ever forget, or should be taught about if they don't know the stories.

1- D Jack played in the game a couple of hours after his dad died. He had every reason not to play, or to put up a poor performance. Instead he had one of the best games I've ever seen in my life. He was crying on the field and kicking people's asses. It was beautiful.

I lost my dad five years ago next week, and I'm still not over it, and I likely never will be. How Darrell did what he did that day is beyond my scope of understanding and he has a strength in him that most people just flat out don't have. He did what he did for his Dad (because his Dad loved to watch him play), but he also did what he did for the Seahawks fans, because he loved us and wanted to put his best on for everybody. Legendary.

2- D Jack got crackbacked so bad that he suffered seizures and vomiting on the team bus immediately after a game. There were thoughts he'd never play again. Guess who was out there the next week kicking ass again? That's right... #82.

Never forget that guy or what he did for this team. There are those who talk about his "dropsies"... guess what, EVERYBODY had them that year. It happened. Move on. But for the time he was here, DJack was every bit the wide receiver that Largent was. I said it. I believe it. I watched them both. They were both tough SOB's that led by example and worked the middle and the edge without complaint and without excuses.

If I saw that guy mouth off about DJack I would have thrown a rock at his drunken face and told him to catch it. D-Bag.

LawlessHawk

Reaction score
SharkHawk":co2q4hr0 said:
Two thing no Hawk fan should ever forget, or should be taught about if they don't know the stories.

1- D Jack played in the game a couple of hours after his dad died. He had every reason not to play, or to put up a poor performance. Instead he had one of the best games I've ever seen in my life. He was crying on the field and kicking people's asses. It was beautiful.

I lost my dad five years ago next week, and I'm still not over it, and I likely never will be. How Darrell did what he did that day is beyond my scope of understanding and he has a strength in him that most people just flat out don't have. He did what he did for his Dad (because his Dad loved to watch him play), but he also did what he did for the Seahawks fans, because he loved us and wanted to put his best on for everybody. Legendary.

2- D Jack got crackbacked so bad that he suffered seizures and vomiting on the team bus immediately after a game. There were thoughts he'd never play again. Guess who was out there the next week kicking ass again? That's right... #82.

Never forget that guy or what he did for this team. There are those who talk about his "dropsies"... guess what, EVERYBODY had them that year. It happened. Move on. But for the time he was here, DJack was every bit the wide receiver that Largent was. I said it. I believe it. I watched them both. They were both tough SOB's that led by example and worked the middle and the edge without complaint and without excuses.

If I saw that guy mouth off about DJack I would have thrown a rock at his drunken face and told him to catch it. D-Bag.

:th2thumbs:

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Why was some dude sloshed in a grocery store in the middle of the day? I think that's part of the problem right there.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
SharkHawk":1f8ayea8 said:

Amen brother.

hawksman53

Reaction score
I always liked DJACK and I also like another receiver that never gets any respect for being as good as he was for us and that is #84 Bobby Engram!!

CHawks4L

Reaction score
SeeHawkRun":28j0s5gl said:
So, I was entering a grocery store today in my hometown (Bellingham, about 84 miles north of Seattle) and a fellow Hawks fan saw me wearing my Darrell Jackson #82 jersey. He was rather sloshed at the moment and shouted an enthusiastic "GO HAWKS!" to which I always respond with a thumbs up and a smile. But then his friend asked me "Who's number eighty two?" and I said it was "DJack." and that the jersey was a gift from my father during the 2005 season. Well, I tried to explain the gift part, but was immediately shut down with a giant scoff after the phrase "DJack."

He was one of my favorite players back in those years, '03-'06-ish. Is he not remembered warmly amongst fellow Hawks fans, or was it just mostly this one guy and his friend? I've certainly never been almost ridiculed by another Seahawks fan over my choi:jjaj:jjqnce of sporting official Seahawks merchandise. Hmm.