Did We Play Down To The Browns?

Chapow

Reaction score
First, this. Look at the result and the stats and it sure looks like a pretty dominating performance to me.

Jazzhawk":1zoobe1k said:
Not taking it too critical, but we just got done watching our team hold the other team to just 240 total yards, while our offense doubled that. They scored 13 points while we scored 30. They had 136 passing yards, we had 241. They had 94 yards rushing, we doubled that. We possessed the ball for 10 more minutes.

That's pretty much total domination. I will say I think the first Browns series was more of an anomaly, but that is where Cleveland blew their wad and really had nothing left.

Second, that was a very nice drive to start the game for the Browns. 15 plays, almost 7 minutes and 7 points. Kudos to them. However, after that they were held to 2 field goals in 53 minutes of football.

Yes, they dropped some passes that they probably should have caught. I believe it was 3 if I am remembering correctly. Is 3 "a ton" ? I'm not sure but I'm pretty sure we dropped a pass or 2 as well and I'm pretty sure drops are actually fairly common in football games. It's not like drops are some kind of ultra rare thing that you almost never see, they are a part of most (if not all) games.

We also committed 3 offsides penalties on 3rd down, one of which resulted in a 1st down on a drive that ended with a Browns field goal. There were 2 uncalled pass interference penalties on the Browns that were pretty shocking that they weren't called.

My point is, seems like lots of people in here are kind of downplaying our performance because the Browns had a few drops, while not really acknowledging that the Browns had quite a few breaks in their favor as well.

I think we are getting back to the point where our expectations are not really very realistic. This is the NFL and we aren't going to win every game by 30+ points.

kf3339

Reaction score
I think it was a little bit of what both Aros and Kearly said in their comments.

I did feel that we played down on defense to the Browns especially in the first half. But I also felt that the Browns were playing over their heads against us all game. Perhaps they just wanted to see what their A game would look like against the very best overall team in the NFL.

Now they now.

Rob12

Reaction score
I don't think so. At all. The defense gave up less than 250 yards. The offense put up over 400 yards and scored 30 points.

I think if they wanted to, Pete could have dialed it up a lot more and put up 500+ yards of offense and 40+ points. But playing the Browns, I think it should be kept simple as to not show the entire playbook.

We were without Kam as well.

marko358

Reaction score
I think most folks are spoiled by the defense from the last 2 to 3 years which was a once in a generation type of defense. We're coming down back to earth a bit this year but still highly effective. And when I say we're spoiled, I mean we're the 2nd in points allowed by a hair and we're complaining. Imagine if we were somewhere in the middle and closer to 15th in points allowed....some of us would be jumping off cliffs.

hawk45

Reaction score
I think our pass defense can be had by opponents with average QBs. The Browns ended at least 3 of their own drives with drops for first down yardage by wide open guys.
Offense is great, run D is great, pass D is suspect and has not had a good game against a good QB all year. Making HOF QBs look average is what they used to do, even in 2012.
I think our inflated defensive rating is an artifact of playing awful teams and that there is a good chance we get scorched in the playoffs when we face legit passers.
I'm more hopeful that our offense is the real deal and can pick up the slack. But like Tech having a suspect pass D makes me worry about the prospects for going all the way.

Rob12

Reaction score
^ That, too.

I think the NFL is designed in such a way that truly dominant defensive units are now on the endangered species list. This league is ridiculously geared towards offensive output.

Jimmy Clausen threw for nearly 3 bills yesterday to a sorry group of receivers. Bad QB's can look very effective more often than not these days, or at least it seems that way to me.

Given the era we're in, this is still the best defensive unit in the NFL, and the consistency that they've shown over the last three seasons has been pretty awesome to see.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawk45":302vnfrz said:
I think our pass defense can be had by opponents with average QBs. The Browns ended at least 3 of their own drives with drops for first down yardage by wide open guys.y.

Going into the playoffs this is my biggest concern.

With Kam the LOB is pretty solid, still shaky but solid. Without him? Still saw a LOT of guys getting out of position, getting picked, confused, miscommunication............and that was against Manziel.

So if we go up against teams like GB or Arizona in the playoffs, I expect a high scoring game where Russell and the offense is going to have to dominate, because I don't think the LOB is playing all that well.

Especially Earl, not sure what's going on. Bad angles, bad tackling, not his usual dominant self.

Hawks46

Reaction score
kearly":3tt18mxn said:
It appeared to me that the Browns had the superior initial game plan, and their players played surprisingly hard. There was no quit in that team when down by 3 scores in the 4th. Manziel was focused. His only mistake came when he had to force a pass to avoid 4th and 18.

I think this was a case of the Browns playing up to their opponent. And remember that the Browns demolished the 49ers the week before.

Good post, and you took one of my points: the Browns have been on a roll, and look like a different team with Manziel at the helm.

In his post game interview, Earl Thomas said the Browns ran some stuff that the Hawks hadn't seen on tape, but once they saw it they were able to adjust. Also, my initial thoughts on the game (while watching it) were "maybe this is on Richard. the defense doesn't seem prepared".

I think the players might've underestimated the Browns' intensity a little bit. I think when they came out with a good game plan and executed well, it took the defense by surprise. I also think Kam being out changed things a little bit, but I was happy with McCray. He's assignment sound in the run game and fills well and finishes. Give him another year in our system and he'll be a top backup, if not a viable starter.

Also, the Browns pass blocked a lot better than I thought, but it might be that we didn't try to get upfield too far and just contain Manziel. Bennett got inside on a rush and left Johnny a bit lane and he converted a 3rd and 11 with his legs. We didn't see that mistake again.

A trend I've seen with the Seahawks is that we tend to play solid base defense in the 1st half, then make adjustments. In the 2nd half, we blitzed more and got Manziel running, which hurt them.

Also, I'm with Aros in thinking "geez, Manziel was kind moving up and down the field on us", then I look at the box score and he has 161 yards passing. So, I think expectations are super high for our team right now. I'm miffed about them getting a TD, but we just held an NFL team to roughly 200 yards and 13 points. Not bad.

Chapow

Reaction score
Denver, the best pass D in the league this season, just got shredded by Big Ben to the tune 380 yds and 3 TDs.

Are they suspect too?

We give up the 4th fewest passing yards per game and the 2nd fewest points per game. We have given up 11 passing TDs this year, which is the fewest in the league by a good margin.

I don't care how good the defense is, in this day and age, more often than not, the elite passing offenses are going to put up a lot of yards.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
hawk45":kscov3qd said:
I think our pass defense can be had by opponents with average QBs. The Browns ended at least 3 of their own drives with drops for first down yardage by wide open guys.
Offense is great, run D is great, pass D is suspect and has not had a good game against a good QB all year. Making HOF QBs look average is what they used to do, even in 2012.
I think our inflated defensive rating is an artifact of playing awful teams and that there is a good chance we get scorched in the playoffs when we face legit passers.
I'm more hopeful that our offense is the real deal and can pick up the slack. But like Tech having a suspect pass D makes me worry about the prospects for going all the way.

Everyone plays awful teams in the NFL. We've played a lot of good teams as well.

chris98251

Reaction score
Browns put a bunch of small quick guys out there and ran misdirection, we kept them in front of us and took the long pass away. It's also why I think Shead was pulled for Lane and Burley, they are quicker. We adjusted to what they put out there after the first drive, I also think Shead was dinged a bit and cutting and planting may have been hard for him. We are seeing teams trying to match up with us using our size against us now, good thing we have a large spectrum of athletes to make those adjustments.

peppersjap

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":1nfz6o0w said:
10303770_1120239717995780_7339672761573255371_n.jpg
That is awesome!

peppersjap

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":wyd8yrpm said:
Browns have a ton of talent, on both sides of the ball, they've just never had a dependable QB.

Give credit to Manziel, I was impressed, he's just like Russell.........can run around and make plays. Not quite as accurate and obviously all the off field shenanigans. But if he gets his poop together, the Browns could be a good team.
Manziel is so talented but the opposite of Wilson in the head. I agree with you, he could end up being very good. The biggest thing he is fighting is himself. If he ever grows up and takes advantage of his opportunity he will be very good.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Rob12":2ydef7be said:
I don't think so. At all. The defense gave up less than 250 yards. The offense put up over 400 yards and scored 30 points.

I think if they wanted to, Pete could have dialed it up a lot more and put up 500+ yards of offense and 40+ points. But playing the Browns, I think it should be kept simple as to not show the entire playbook.

We were without Kam as well.

So... we played down to them?