Did the Niner screw up letting Goldson go?

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":7f6zrlef said:
Nope. Because none of the etymological definitions fit what you were trying to say. Quit acting the part of the chump.

LOLOLOLOL. You were out of strikes a long time ago. Stop swinging and missing. The complaint, while inaccurate, was also petty and pointless to begin with. It's just embarrassing.

Seriously though, this is boring. Apology accepted and let's move on.

GO HAWKS!!!

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Popeyejones":18hdomco said:
Sarlacc83":18hdomco said:
Nope. Because none of the etymological definitions fit what you were trying to say. Quit acting the part of the chump.

LOLOLOLOL. You were out of strikes a long time ago. Stop swinging and missing. The complaint, while inaccurate, was also petty and pointless to begin with. It's just embarrassing.

Seriously though, this is boring. Apology accepted and let's move on.

GO HAWKS!!!

You're right. It is boring. Because you don't know what you're talking about. I will stop belaboring the point though.

By the way, 29-3. No apologies for anything.

hawk45

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2isnx0qb said:
Sarlacc83":2isnx0qb said:
To say you're shocked is a figure of speech. Therefore, when you add literally in front of it, you are telling us to use the literal sense of the word. That is, to say you would be electrocuted.

...Except if you knew the etymology of the word you would know that my usage is unequivocally not a figure of speech as it predates the word migrating over to being used in relation to electricity (stike one thousand and one). And again, even beyond this simple fact, my usage is also the primary or secondary definition in virtually every dictionary, making the whole thing immaterial.

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=shock

Put another way: get this weak sh!t out of here and just accept that your ill-informed attempts to nitpick aren't working out for you.

Yet again, are we done yet?

Um, if the primary definition of the word shocked is "upset, surprised", and if that's what you had in mind when you wrote your post, then it makes zero sense for you to add the word "literally" to your sentence. I mean, what, did you fear we would think you were "figuratively" upset?

The idea behind using the word "literally" is when you're describing something and using pretty strong terminology, but you want it clear that you're not just engaging in hyperbole, things really really are the way you are describing them. For instance if Kaepernick were to say "I literally had my ass reamed by the Seahawk defense." He knows that folks aren't going to easily believe that there was penetration, so he adds the word "literally" so that it's clear that his anal canal was excavated in fact.

Nobody would be surprised to hear you say you'd be upset/surprised by Reid not playing. So your explanation of how you were using the word literally and what you took to be the primary meaning of "shocked" holds no water.

And yeah it's nitpicky but you're the one who drug out some fancy sounding words and then stood preening. That was some impressive self-ownership.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
I'm literally in disbelief you guys are still arguing about this

HawkWow

Reaction score
I'll literally be stunned if Roger doesn't come down hard on the inbred (just look at the ears!) Aldon. This year isn't off to a great start for psycho killer Harbaugh and his band of cabin boys, making my prediction that they will not threaten us for the top spot in the NFCW, that much more plausible. Don't you agree "Niner nation"?

BTW, geography aside, just where TF does "Niner nation" begin and end? Aside from the old-schoolers here in Hawaii (who are on the verge of jumping ship, because they can) and outside of Northern Cal., I just don't see the fan base the Niners believe they possess. What's to like? They're as delusional as the Cowboys.

EDIT: Whoops. Meant for this to be in the Aldon Smith thread.