Did the Niner screw up letting Goldson go?

Popeyejones

Reaction score
rjas77":10pi1bjk said:
Point being...in 2013...at safety...you can't be getting concussions by you own doing makeing routine tackles and expect to be on the field much.

Yeah, I gotcha. It's why I said he doesn't have a history with them and was asymptomatic the next day. If it happens again it's definitely something the team and fans should be concerned about (seriously), but personally, I don't read much into it beyond that.

CPHawk

Reaction score
kearly":1322x8yq said:
The Seahawks are stacked at WR, and I still kind of wish we hadn't made the Harvin trade and grabbed Hopkins instead. He's Roddy White 2.0. And it would have saved about $10 million a year for four years in cap space. I can only imagine how much stronger I'd feel about that if I were a 49ers fan with that WR crew they are running right now.

RE Goldson and penalties, great teams tend to lead the league in penalties, or at least they have recently. You play like an animal, you get laundry thrown your way. For a great player, it's a worthwhile tradeoff, especially for a team that is built around establishing physicality and intimidating opponents.

One nice thing I'll say about Reid, he's faster on the field than his 4.49 official time indicates. Him and Bowman are sneaky fast.

Or he's Alvin Harper or John Taylor 2.0.

Marvin49

Reaction score
kearly":1s4qw0kk said:
For me it's this: What is worth more? $6 million in cap space difference (4.8% of team total) or a 1st + 3rd round pick? To me, it's the probably the picks. For this move to be smart, Reid would have to be a superstar, and there was nothing on his college tape that made anyone think he'd be an upgrade over Goldson. Age is a factor too, but it's not like Goldson is old.

I think the lesson is, if you are a championship contending team and you can find a way to afford it, you keep your best players every time. The cash savings was used to sign Boldin, which helps, but overall I think they were better off keeping Goldson and finding ways to save money elsewhere.

They could have just signed Goldson back and drafted Hopkins. Money and picks would have been the same. And they'd still have a 6th rounder left over.

Baalke is over-rated.

Disagree.

Goldson wanted to be the highest paid Safety in the NFL. He is nowhere near the best Safety in the NFL.

The 49ers aren't looking at this as "is Goldson worth 4.8% of the cap THIS year". They look at this as "you can't keep everyone. Especially when you overpay". The 49ers are looking into the future on this one when it comes time to pay guys like Iupati, Crabtree, Kap, and Aldon. Seattle will be here soon as well. The Anquan signing is a different deal and shouldn't be in the conversation. Anquan is making 6 mil, but his contract ends at the end of the year. There are no future $$$ in that deal. Goldson deals escalates dramatically and he would be WAY, WAY overpaid in future years.

The strategy is to let good players go who aren't worth their asking price in favor of extending GREAT players early for less money. You then use all the draft capitol you have to plug those holes between the great players with cheaper players on rookie contracts.

That is the only way to REMAIN a good team once you get there. Thats why the Niners are CONSTANTLY looking to add draft picks. In this league you don't get to just load up and be great indefinitely. If you are a really good team, the system is setup to rip you apart. Again...Seattle is going to run into this in the not so distant future as well.

rjas77

Reaction score
Popeyejones":xaco0rvz said:
rjas77":xaco0rvz said:
Point being...in 2013...at safety...you can't be getting concussions by you own doing makeing routine tackles and expect to be on the field much.

Yeah, I gotcha. It's why I said he doesn't have a history with them and was asymptomatic the next day. If it happens again it's definitely something the team and fans should be concerned about (seriously), but personally, I don't read much into it beyond that.

You should be at the least "concerned" being that was his second NFL start. If he can't make it through his first two games without suffering a concussion while making a routine tackle...that alone should raise a few eyebrows....unless of course he quit like the rest of the team.

Anyahoo...what's his status for this Sunday?

hawker84

Reaction score
I think the hit/concussion was a fluke, from what i've seen in pre-season and the first couple games, reid is already much better at coverage the goldson, and can deliver a good hit to boot. He's going to be a top tier safety in this league, getting rid of goldson and picking Reid was an excellent move IMO....

Popeyejones

Reaction score
rjas77":13j2ibyk said:

Expected to play. Was asymptomatic the next day and has been practicing since Monday (in a non-contact jersey), but still has to pass the league's pre-game concussion protocol (which is standard now). Barring an injury in practice this week, I'd be literally shocked if he isn't playing against the Colts.

Edit: here ya go: http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/reid-pa ... ndays-game

Marvin49

Reaction score
hawker84":auc4oc37 said:
I think the hit/concussion was a fluke, from what i've seen in pre-season and the first couple games, reid is already much better at coverage the goldson, and can deliver a good hit to boot. He's going to be a top tier safety in this league, getting rid of goldson and picking Reid was an excellent move IMO....

Still really early, but so far he's looked really good.

2 picks in 2 games and actually a third that was on a free play (Rodgers saw Aldon jump offsides). Rodgers never would have thrown the ball if Aldon hadn't jumped, but Reid still killed the play.

He is a good hitter and seems very sound in coverage. Only issue I've seen with him is that he's missed some open field tackles.

OP
OP
Scottemojo

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1nl06uwx said:
rjas77":1nl06uwx said:

Expected to play. Was asymptomatic the next day and has been practicing since Monday (in a non-contact jersey), but still has to pass the league's pre-game concussion protocol (which is standard now). Barring an injury in practice this week, I'd be literally shocked if he isn't playing against the Colts.
So, if he does not play, you at risk for some form of electrocution? Literally?

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^Shocked is the past tense of shock, and my usage fits the primary or secondary definition in virtually every dictionary (e.g. "cause (someone) to feel surprised and upset", "Something that jars the mind or emotions as if with a violent unexpected blow", "very surprised and upset by something bad that happens unexpectedly", etc.).

Nice try, though? :)

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Popeyejones":v9wloq37 said:
^^^Shocked is the past tense of shock, and my usage fits the primary or secondary definition in virtually every dictionary (e.g. "cause (someone) to feel surprised and upset", "Something that jars the mind or emotions as if with a violent unexpected blow", "very surprised and upset by something bad that happens unexpectedly", etc.).

Nice try, though? :)

It was more in regards to your use of literally. I do not think that means what you think it means.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^^

1) Then why would he bring up electrocution and "pretend" as if he didn't actually know what the definition of shocked was?

2) In turn, literally also means precisely what I intended it to mean: "in a literal manner or sense; exactly."

Using the primary definitions of literally and shocked, my sentence would translate to: "my exact feelings would be surprise and upsetness if Reid was unexpectedly held out against the Colts for his concussion." Given that in this thread I've been arguing that I'm not concerned about it and don't think it to be a problem, is it any surprise that these would be my feelings?

Any more misbegotten corrections, or we're good here? :)

kearly

Reaction score
CPHawk":349gvwto said:
Or he's Alvin Harper or John Taylor 2.0.

Maybe. But FWIW, I've been comparing Hopkins to White since December of last year. Very similar prospects and so far very similar pros.

formido

Reaction score
Scottemojo":vpqk0082 said:
Popeyejones":vpqk0082 said:
rjas77":vpqk0082 said:

So, if he does not play, you at risk for some form of electrocution? Literally?

Unfortunately, literally now also means the opposite of literally:

http://www.salon.com/2013/08/22/accordi ... singleton/

Sort of like how flammable and inflammable both mean, um, flammable. The descriptivists are winning the language wars.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2ogq7uns said:
^^^^

1) Then why would he bring up electrocution and "pretend" as if he didn't actually know what the definition of shocked was?

2) In turn, literally also means precisely what I intended it to mean: "in a literal manner or sense; exactly."

Using the primary definitions of literally and shocked, my sentence would translate to: "my exact feelings would be surprise and upsetness if Reid was unexpectedly held out against the Colts for his concussion." Given that in this thread I've been arguing that I'm not concerned about it and don't think it to be a problem, is it any surprise that these would be my feelings?

Any more misbegotten corrections, or we're good here? :)

To say you're shocked is a figure of speech. Therefore, when you add literally in front of it, you are telling us to use the literal sense of the word. That is, to say you would be electrocuted.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":1drrm7rb said:
To say you're shocked is a figure of speech. Therefore, when you add literally in front of it, you are telling us to use the literal sense of the word. That is, to say you would be electrocuted.

...Except if you knew the etymology of the word you would know that my usage is unequivocally not a figure of speech as it predates the word migrating over to being used in relation to electricity (stike one thousand and one). And again, even beyond this simple fact, my usage is also the primary or secondary definition in virtually every dictionary, making the whole thing immaterial.

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=shock

Put another way: get this weak sh!t out of here and just accept that your ill-informed attempts to nitpick aren't working out for you.

Yet again, are we done yet?

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Popeyejones":xu3su3zq said:
Sarlacc83":xu3su3zq said:

...Except if you knew the etymology of the word you would know that my usage is unequivocally not a figure of speech as it predates the word migrating over to being used in relation to electricity (stike one thousand and one). And again, even beyond this simple fact, my usage is also the primary or secondary definition in virtually every dictionary, making the whole thing immaterial.

Put another way: get this weak sh!t out of here and just accept that your ill-informed attempts to nitpick aren't working out for you.

This is my favorite part of this board. A bunch of experts of the English language and good grammar. Niner and Seahawk fans will argue about anything, including punctuation. So trivial, but so important when trying to ridicule or belittle another poster. Frankly, I learned more about proper grammar from Microsoft Word than I did early College English courses.

Microsoft Word doesn't have an opinion, nor feelings, It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are DEAD.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^^ LOLOLOLOLOLOL. AWESOME bit about MSWord. Thanks for saving this mess, and shame on me for even bothering to defend myself. :(

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Popeyejones":260u7vmm said:
Sarlacc83":260u7vmm said:

Nope. Because none of the etymological definitions fit what you were trying to say. Quit acting the part of the chump.

C-Dub

Reaction score
themunn":3bqccuze said:
Goldson might hit hard but he's also good for a 15 yard penalty a game (and is certainly keeping up that reputation in Tampa)
Not true. He'll be suspended one game, so that's one game without a 15 yard penalty right there!

Latest posts