Desmond Ridder Visits Seahawks

nwHawk

Reaction score
6’2” is typically the ideal height to pass stride length / release time.

nanomoz

Reaction score
True. But if he's a gamble, then do you actually pull the trigger in the 2nd for someone like that at all?
Almost anyone is a gamble. Especially at QB. And you might miss a few times before you get your guy (Charlie Whitehurst, Matt Flynn).

Own The West

Reaction score
I like Corral over Ridder, but won't cry if we take either in the 2nd (but not in the 1st).
Eric Barriere in the 6th or Aqueel Glass in the 7th would be cool too.

toffee

Reaction score
I think Ridder is a far better prospect than Mayfield, and FAR less expensive. Corral is my fave as fit for our system, but I would take either with one of our 2nd round picks if available.
Ridder may not be better but at least we could hope, with Baker, we have seen the ceiling?

James in PA

Reaction score
I too prefer the guys who are projected by most to be the 3rd and 4th best QBs in this draft (Corral and Ridder) to the top-ranked guys (Willis and Pickett). I could see Willis sitting on the bench for a year or two, only to become the next Jalen Hurts. No thanks. The Hawks are in kind of a weird position for these particular players. 9 is too early, but if they wait until round 2, they could be gone. IF they really love Corral or Ridder, they should probably trade down, but not too far. Maybe mid teens. Pitt will almost certainly take a QB at 20 or try to move up.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Ridder may not be better but at least we could hope, with Baker, we have seen the ceiling?
I have no way to know if we have seen Baker's ceiling, but in terms of success I think that ceiling may have banged him on the head at Oklahoma, and he's been a head case ever since. I'd gamble on a rookie with potential every time over forcing a head case into a leadership position on my team.
As for when QBs start coming off the board I think we can make better guesses when we see what kind of trades take place surrounding #9 and before 40/41.

WarHawks

Reaction score
I don't think Ridder is the best candidate for our system. I like Corral for that, but I think Ridder may be the best option available to us at the pick spot we might use for a QB. I'm expecting Willis will be off the board by pick #6 and I'm hoping our first pick will be for the best OT on the board.
This.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Do people really know a lot about these players, or do they just all the sudden become experts? Hoping for a LT as well at 9
LOL. EVERYONE is an expert until we find out the truth after the fact! That's why all these mock drafters do so many versions of the draft, so if any one of them is close they claim to have been right all along. And if just one of them gets it close they all pile on as though it somehow gives them cred as experts.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yep, it's a trip to see how different so many of them are. I just laugh at guys like Smell Diaper who get all bent out of shape like they are taking it personally if the team doesn't pick who he wants.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I want a top DL if they are gone..Hamilton CB/S or Gardner

IndyHawk

Reaction score
TBF Ridder is probably the best one..Though Strong interests me.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Are there any reports of how Ridder's visits with the Hawks went? Closely guarded team secret? Probably.

Why do people think Corral is better for our system than Ridder? I see them as having commonality in a number of areas, but Ridder is more elusive and would be able to outrun/escape SF's pass rush like Wilson could.

Watching both Ridder and Corral vs. Alabama, neither had a whole lot of success, but Ridder had 2 TD passes dropped by apparently intimidated receivers. Bama's D-Line consistently abused Cincy's undermanned O-Line, and yet Ridder didn't turn the ball over. I was more impressed with Ridder vs. Bama.

Ridder does have some accuracy and footwork issues at times, but those seem fixable with NFL-level coaching. (Famous last words? LOL) I like Ridder's year-by-year progression in college and think he'd have similar growth as a pro, due to his (by all accounts I've seen) excellent work habits.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Are there any reports of how Ridder's visits with the Hawks went? Closely guarded team secret? Probably.

Why do people think Corral is better for our system than Ridder? I see them as having commonality in a number of areas, but Ridder is more elusive and would be able to outrun/escape SF's pass rush like Wilson could.

Watching both Ridder and Corral vs. Alabama, neither had a whole lot of success, but Ridder had 2 TD passes dropped by apparently intimidated receivers. Bama's D-Line consistently abused Cincy's undermanned O-Line, and yet Ridder didn't turn the ball over. I was more impressed with Ridder vs. Bama.

Ridder does have some accuracy and footwork issues at times, but those seem fixable with NFL-level coaching. (Famous last words? LOL) I like Ridder's year-by-year progression in college and think he'd have similar growth as a pro, due to his (by all accounts I've seen) excellent work habits.
Since it seems there are no other takers Oly, I'll offer mine.
First, I have no idea how the Ridder visit went. Well, I assume.

I don't happen to agree that Ridder is more elusive than Corral. Corral played in and has embedded in his experience, an RPO style offense. Meanwhile Ridder is more of a drop back pocket guy. Film shows Ridder, ala Wilson, holds the ball too long too often and exhibits poor decision making too often. Wilson's solution was to go long every time. I would hate to see someone with accuracy issues adopt that type of solution.
I agree that both players figure to respond favorably to more experienced coaching of NFL level. But playing the connect the dots game I feel Corral has a shorter distance to cover between dots than Ridder. Having said all that, I like both guys better than the rest of the pack. Other than Willis being available to us later I would pass on all the others and wait until next year to draft a QB.

That's my two cents on the question/s, which leaves you ninety eight cents to play with. LOL.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Since it seems there are no other takers Oly, I'll offer mine.
First, I have no idea how the Ridder visit went. Well, I assume.

I don't happen to agree that Ridder is more elusive than Corral. Corral played in and has embedded in his experience, an RPO style offense. Meanwhile Ridder is more of a drop back pocket guy. Film shows Ridder, ala Wilson, holds the ball too long too often and exhibits poor decision making too often. Wilson's solution was to go long every time. I would hate to see someone with accuracy issues adopt that type of solution.
I agree that both players figure to respond favorably to more experienced coaching of NFL level. But playing the connect the dots game I feel Corral has a shorter distance to cover between dots than Ridder. Having said all that, I like both guys better than the rest of the pack. Other than Willis being available to us later I would pass on all the others and wait until next year to draft a QB.

That's my two cents on the question/s, which leaves you ninety eight cents to play with. LOL.
Fair enough, and thank you! I was basing a lot of my take on their games against common opponent Alabama and that near-NFL Bama defense. I like Corral also, but I just feel like Ridder has this "It" factor to him, that guys raise their game under his leadership. Except for his O-Line against Bama, that is. And his receivers against Bama. But getting a team like Cincinnati to the CFP? That's a BIG DEAL to me. Corral's line matched up better against Bama, but he couldn't do much with it. Also, Bama took Ridder very seriously, scouted him, and batted down 4 or so of his passes based on their scouting. I'm not really a Willis fan, but would be happy to be wrong if the Hawks get a chance to snag him.

Last edited:

Appyhawk

Reaction score
I'd be happy with either of those three, I just don't think we have a shot at Willis at #9, and doubt we use the #9 pick on a QB. I hear talk we may not select a QB until very late, preferring to fill holes elsewhere. I can understand that too, but see Perry's ceiling not being as high as the top three. I like Corral for scheme considerations but it's hard not to admire what Ridder has done and the leadership he has shown. I just feel picking a QB as late as round 7 is an admission we are waiting until next year to snag the "franchise" guy we're hoping for.

xray

Reaction score
Don't fall in love and commit to a QB in this draft unless they're really sure .

GemCity

Reaction score
I’d rather not see a QB taken this year but, I’d have to say Ridder if we go that route. The benefit there is possibly a trade down.

Side note: we requested Lock be included in the Denver trade. On this board, I’ve seen a lot of Russ criticism. Many of the post authors favored Geno. To each their own but why are some of you even mentioning drafting a QB?? Doesn’t apply to everyone ofc but, haven’t you got what you’ve been wanting? Just curious…

Throwdown

Reaction score
I’d rather not see a QB taken this year but, I’d have to say Ridder if we go that route. The benefit there is possibly a trade down.

Side note: we requested Lock be included in the Denver trade. On this board, I’ve seen a lot of Russ criticism. Many of the post authors favored Geno. To each their own but why are some of you even mentioning drafting a QB?? Doesn’t apply to everyone ofc but, haven’t you got what you’ve been wanting? Just curious…
No lmao we just wanted Russ gone