Desmond Ridder Visits Seahawks

W

Welshers

Per Tom Pelissero:

"Cincinnati QB Desmond Ridder is visiting the #Seahawks today, per source. The first (and only?) known pre-draft quarterback visit for Seattle."​

I say if he's there at #40, go for it.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Pauline says he'll be a first round pick. So it'd probably require taking him early or trading up into the first round (maybe after trading back from #9 and getting more stock).

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I don't think it's smoke. He's got a lot to like. He is possibly the only prospect I see that actually throws with anticipation. Cincinnati won a bunch with him.

His accuracy issues can be glaring, but I think they're related to his mechanics more than anything else. They seem fixable.

Not an elite prospect, but I can see why one would like him. He seems like a winner.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
We are going to have a hard time going from Wilson to anyone.

So the next QB probably is almost set up to fail. Few QBs will live up to a HOF. Especially when those comebacks in the 4th don't happen anymore and the blame starts to get pinned on the QB.

I think Malik is the best fit for how Pete wants to play (run around, duck & chuck type of football) - and I don't think Pete has the ability or the pieces to build around another QB at his age. But Willis likely isn't falling to #9 and if he does, not sure we will be at #9 by then.

This guy might fall a bit further, so maybe he becomes a stop gap as a late 1st round pick. He might go earlier but he doesn't look like more than a late 1st right now.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I don't think it's smoke. He's got a lot to like. He is possibly the only prospect I see that actually throws with anticipation. Cincinnati won a bunch with him.

His accuracy issues can be glaring, but I think they're related to his mechanics more than anything else. They seem fixable.

Not an elite prospect, but I can see why one would like him. He seems like a winner.
Absolutely a very good player. I think of Matt Schaub, a very good QB until Richard Sherman neutered him.

Ridder is the perfect "Point Guard QB" and would make this a winning team as long as the defense is Top 15. I believe it will easily be Top 10 With Clint Hurtt at the controls.

I would die of joy if we got Ridder in the 3rd, although I think he'd be worth a 2nd, or even a late 1st. If Ickey, JJ II

ivotuk

Reaction score
Ridder went a perfect 13-0 in his senior campaign at University of Cincinnati, throwing for 3,334 yards and 30 TDs. With him under center, the Bearcats earned a spot in the College Football Playoff in 2021, making Cincinnati the first Group of 5 team to make the playoff.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I'd love to take a flyer on Aqeel Glass

"I feel like I'm the best quarterback in the draft, and I'll stand by that," the former Alabama A&M star said by phone recently after a morning training session in his hometown. "I feel like my numbers show that, my film shows that, and wherever I go, my future will show that."

His words were not coated with brashness; they were wrapped in history.

Glass threw for 12,136 yards, 109 touchdowns and 41 interceptions with the Bulldogs, for whom he was the full-time starter from 2018 through 2021.

He had the height (6-foot-5) to see over the pass rush and the football intellect to smoothly advance through his read progressions, which was most notable last season, when he threw for 36 touchdowns and nearly 3,600 yards before being named the Black College Football Player of the Year.

Spohawks

Reaction score
I think its smoke so when the 9th pick comes around the Hawks can up the cost of trading the 9th away. "We are going for the best QB available, if you want that QB...we want a truck load".

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Glad to hear they are at least doing their due diligence on Ridder. Everyone is high on Willis but I don't see it. If Willis goes in the top 10, it's a tremendous reach. I don't want the Seahawks doing that.

Ridder also played against better competition in college than Willis has. With that said, neither are top 10 draft material. I'd like to see them grab Gardner (if he's there) or Jordan Davis at #9. Then if Ridder is available at #40 or #41, grab him with one of those picks.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
I’d rather them take a flyer on a 5th round QB and work on the rest of the team

Yxes1122

Reaction score
This fan base would destroy any first round QB that isn’t an immediate, impact player. Every mistake is going to be “If we had Wilson…”

Imagine if Mac Jones had replaced Brady day 1?

I’m for waiting a season. Or drafting a later round QB with lower expectations.

The fan base needs to adjust to the new offensive normal. Which will be worse than it’s been in a decade. We no longer have a guy that makes you feel confident in a late game winning drive. And even if we get a franchise QB, it’ll take a lot of games to recreate that confidence or feeling.

Better to take a later round guy and ride Lock or Baker for a year.

Edit: Remember the way the fan base treated TJack after Hasselbeck? They were chanting Charlie in preseason.

Edit2: All that to say, I’d pass on Ridder if it took a 1st to get him.

Rat

Reaction score
I don't put much stock into top 30 visits or who went to whose pro day, but the more I'm thinking of this; you should all start getting on board with Ridder now if you don't want to be disappointed on draft day, because I think this has a real chance of happening, and quite possibly in the first round.

We employ the league's oldest head coach, and he's trying to sell fans on this not being a rebuild. It would be hard for him to say that with a straight face if the plan is to go into the season with Drew Lock and maybe Geno Smith as QB options. Ridder is probably the best equipped QB in this draft to contend for the starting job early (I'd put Corral in that conversation too). I believe this has legs.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I'd love to take a flyer on Aqeel Glass

"I feel like I'm the best quarterback in the draft, and I'll stand by that," the former Alabama A&M star said by phone recently after a morning training session in his hometown. "I feel like my numbers show that, my film shows that, and wherever I go, my future will show that."

His words were not coated with brashness; they were wrapped in history.

Glass threw for 12,136 yards, 109 touchdowns and 41 interceptions with the Bulldogs, for whom he was the full-time starter from 2018 through 2021.

He had the height (6-foot-5) to see over the pass rush and the football intellect to smoothly advance through his read progressions, which was most notable last season, when he threw for 36 touchdowns and nearly 3,600 yards before being named the Black College Football Player of the Year.

Aqeel is good. He could be something. He does a lot of the little things well and has no shortage of experience. Just hasn't faced top competition and doesn't have an eye-popping arm.

James in PA

Reaction score
I like Ridder. He looks pretty solid. Ironically, his main flaw is accuracy with the deep ball. After RW, maybe Pete has had enough of QBs who are only looking for the deep ball. I could live with Ridder, but not at #9. If they love him and want to trade down for more capital, I would trade down into the teens and hope Pitt doesn't leap frog us. But if one of the stud pass rushers, elite tackles or Sauce is still there, I hope we just use the pick on that player!