Dan Orlovsky gives Geno Smith his early-season MVP vote

ivotuk

Reaction score
Good article with lots of videos embedded...like this one:

As Orlovsky mentioned, Seahawks wide receivers have struggled with drops this season. Tyler Lockett dropped what would have been an easy 33-yard touchdown late in the third quarter of Sunday’s 27-13 win over the New York Giants. Smith put the ball right on the money.

In fairness to Lockett, I think that pass was "slightly" underthrown, because it hit his face mask, and bounced forwards. Maybe Tyler could have slowed just a hair, but I don't see how one could judge an incoming pass that accurately when it's coming from behind, and the DB is right on top of you.

I give Tyler a "pass" on that incompletion.

keasley45

Reaction score
If the b

As Orlovsky mentioned, Seahawks wide receivers have struggled with drops this season. Tyler Lockett dropped what would have been an easy 33-yard touchdown late in the third quarter of Sunday’s 27-13 win over the New York Giants. Smith put the ball right on the money.

In fairness to Lockett, I think that pass was "slightly" underthrown, because it hit his face mask, and bounced forwards. Maybe Tyler could have slowed just a hair, but I don't see how one could judge an incoming pass that accurately when it's coming from behind, and the DB is right on top of you.

If the ball hits you in the facemask, that's on you as a wr. Tyler broke concentration in an effort to maintain his speed when he had his guys beat sufficiently to get the score. He prioritized pace over getting in position for the ball. The ball was within the realm of 'perfect ' .

kidhawk

Reaction score

In Tyler Lockett's career, he's pretty much perfect in catching those types of passes. Any drop for Tyler is a rarity. This was probably his worst game I've seen him play, but he's still one helluva receiver and as we saw a few minutes later, he won't miss that twice in a row.

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score

The pass was 100% perfect, the miss fully on Tyler. However, if anyone ever deserved a get out of jail free card, it’s Lockett. That was his first drop in 17 games, according to ESPN, and there’s no better deep ball receiver in the game. Even the best if the best miss once in awhile. They looked like they designed the whole next drive specifically to get the drop off his mind.

JPatera76

Reaction score
The TD drop from Lockett.. idk I feel the Safety coming down on him caused him to break concentration imo.

LeveeBreak

Reaction score
If the b

If the ball hits you in the facemask, that's on you as a wr. Tyler broke concentration in an effort to maintain his speed when he had his guys beat sufficiently to get the score. He prioritized pace over getting in position for the ball. The ball was within the realm of 'perfect ' .
Correct. Splitting the corner and safety with the right laser/loft ratio...that throw was a gem!

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
Lockett owned it as a bad drop. He was really down about it. Was so glad to see him get redemption in the same game.
Even Justin Tucker misses a gimme FG once in a blue moon. Drops happen to even the best WRs and Lockett is definitely one of the best and may not drop another for 17 more games.

sutz

Reaction score
Even Justin Tucker misses a gimme FG once in a blue moon. Drops happen to even the best WRs and Lockett is definitely one of the best and may not drop another for 17 more games.
Jerry Rice, Steve Largent. Yeah, it happens to all of them from time to time. Darryl Jackson was pretty bad at dropsy, but in that pass happy offense he always got another chance. ;)

toffee

Reaction score
Fully agree with Dan Orlovsky!!! I don't think he was one of the fifty eligible voters in 2021, may be he is eligible this year? Nevertheless, more media folks talking about Geno for MVP is a welcome sign, I think it would be wise for NFL to take note, Geno is the best rags to riches story out there.

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
I hope Geno keeps up this level of play & we win the Superb Owl.
I also hopes he gets ZERO votes for MVP.

Now, hear me out on this one..........

I have ZERO need for outside confirmation that our QB is playing good. I can see that for myself.
I also have ZERO desire to artificially drive up his price/term in free agency more by winning some award based on some outsiders votes. Winning the Superb Owl is a big enough bargaining chip for him.

He can win the MVP next year after he signs his team friendly 3 year, 25M/year deal back here, because he's still got that chip on his shoulder, & decides to show all the doubters that he can & will lead the team to another Superb Owl win.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Lockett owned it as a bad drop. He was really down about it. Was so glad to see him get redemption in the same game.
Geno did his job, got in his face and told him you'll get it back and then delivered another sweet ball to him to redeem it.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Fully agree with Dan Orlovsky!!! I don't think he was one of the fifty eligible voters in 2021, may be he is eligible this year? Nevertheless, more media folks talking about Geno for MVP is a welcome sign, I think it would be wise for NFL to take note, Geno is the best rags to riches story out there.
CORRECTOMUNDO ^^, and there aren't any follow-up Quarterback Stories that would even be a close second this year.
Geno is the real deal.

12AngryHawks

Reaction score
Not sure if anyone here has heard of Jason Brown or Steve Kim, but I heard them saying that Geno is worthy of MVP consideration. Really cool to see Geno making his name known again, and this time, better than ever.