Da Raaaiiiidddderrrrs

HansGruber

Reaction score
Grew up hating the Raiders, my dad's been a fan since they were founded in the 1960's but my mom was from Seattle and got me hooked on the Seahawks. The 1983 AFCCG sealed it for me. However, I have been rooting for them as my AFC team since Al Davis died. I really want to see them right the ship, and they deserve a new stadium... in LA. Los Angeles deserves to have a team again, and no other NFL team fits the LA profile better than the Raiders.

As to Carr, he's a lot better than anyone realizes. I've really enjoyed watching him this season. He makes good decisions quickly, really strong arm, good accuracy. Agreed that he doesn't appear to handle pressure really well, but that's generally against teams that have a strong interior pass rush, and Seattle doesn't fit that profile.

Agreed that it would be really interesting if Oakland gets the #1 pick. However, they still seem to struggle with some poor decision making and it'd honestly probably be best if Reggie McKenzie was fired along with all coaching staff. They need a change in culture, like Paul Allen brought to the Seahawks.

I'd love to see the Raiders moved to LA, and swap divisions with St Louis. I know it won't happen, but it would be awesome. Imagine 49ers and Raiders fans going at each other repping the North and South. The stabbings would probably increase ten-fold. Come to think of it, that's probably reason enough that the NFL would never consider it.

chris98251

Reaction score
Oakland bad against the run? Every team we play that has limited run stopping ability we refuse to exploit it and use the pass. This is what is seems to bite us in the ass.

Oakland playing scrappy with nothing to lose is a scary team, if we come out with our typical touchy feely offense we could get into a Tampa type situation quickly, taking a wounded animal for granted is never smart.

Also regarding Mariota, I think it will depend a lot on who gets hired as coach and or GM if that happens. Raiders could sell him off for a lot, or trade Carr also if the new Coach doesn't like his limitations or decides if he doesn't fit his scheme.

In any case, here to no injuries and a good game, appreciate the post Truth!

George Blanda sends his love!

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
I live in Fresno and know David and Derek Carr personally. I was at a Fresno State game with them a couple weeks ago in our suite at the stadium, and they remain very humble and fine men. It's a real drag that both of them were drafted by shitty teams. Derek was watching game film with his brother from the age of 10 and giving him tips long ago; something David won't readily admit to :) I can say that Derek has the same potential football IQ of Russell and Peyton in terms of understanding the game and while it won't be enough to break us in this next game, I look to great things from this young man. You couldn't have a man more diametrically opposed to the persona of his team than Derek.

Atradees

Reaction score
JonRud":2dzr29cb said:
I am no Raiders fan but it's really too bad they have been so awful forever. the NFL would be so much more interesting with a good Raiders team. I used to get so fired up for Raiders vs. Seahawks game back in the 80's and 90's.

I agree with this. I had thought the new GM would help them.

It looks to be a hot mess. I really Like Carr too.

ronnieboycefanclub

Reaction score
True confession time.

I have attended a Raiders home game this season. The International game at Wembley.

This was the game when their QB was clearly limping and was left in to take another play. When he did leave the field of play, the only pat on the back was from a Dolphins player.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Unlike the Rams and Panthers, I don't think I could take all the Raiders specialty players and HC in a fight.

I'd easily, and with glee, dispose of Sparano in a fight. No doubt in my mind. Dude has a medical condition which impairs his sight, so, I'd just stick and move my way around that chubby mug of his. I'd get in a few shots for NFL fans everywhere for him birthing the Wildcat. I usually don't like fighting coaches, I mean I do it for the team and us, but this one I'd admittedly enjoy.

My main issue is with Sebastian Janakowski. He'd be a problem. You ever see those eastern European dudes fight? They're animals, pure animals. Plus, SBas is the type who carries roofies and MDMA in his trunk. I know everyone assumes roofies make sexually assaulting co-eds easy, but, that's just not true. All a roofie does it make it so they don't remember, they're still coherent and struggle. SBas most likely has his close-proximity hand-to-hand skills honed from dispensing and utilizing all those roofies, no way I could take him.

Shaun King? He's gangly looking. Plus, he's an African American punter, so, you know he can fight. He's been teased and ridiculed his whole life, probably by his own family That's boy named "Sue" stuff right there.

AgentDib

Reaction score
If this is a trap game it is the king of all trap games. Vegas opened with us at whopping 15.5 point favorites and despite everybody thinking that seems really high it still hasn't moved down very much. In fact, most of the betting "experts" out there are expecting the Hawks to cover. I'm sure most of us are not quite that confident but outsiders are expecting a beat down.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
John Boyle ‏@johnpboyle 35m35 minutes ago
Kam Chancellor on what he remembers about the Raiders having success against them in the preseason: "I remember it was the preseason."

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
Seahawks just tweeted out this Raiders link, some interesting pics.

http://www.raiders.com/media-vault/phot ... dd09d901b7

temp10_30_14_15--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg

temp10_30_14_28--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Looking at the injury report - an awful lot of DBs are hurt for the Raiders. Hopefully the Seahawks can take advantage of this. Many are comparing this matchup to the one last year against the Bucs. The only similarity is the fact that both teams are winless. That Buc game last year was one following a MNF game. This one is like a regular Sunday battle. The Rams game couple of weeks ago was more like the Bucs game last year. I believe the Seahawks will be ready and will roll. I'll be surprised if the Raiders put up more than 10-13 points on the Seahawks.

NINEster

Reaction score
Preseason games mean absolutely nothing. Surprised there are so many posts about that.

In fact, the team that takes the preseason game more seriously usually is at a big disadvantage when playing the team in the regular season that year.

Results are almost always swapped.

Saints/49ers -2011
49ers/Vikings - 2012
Broncos/Seahawks - 2014
Seahawks/Chargers - 2014

Scottemojo

Reaction score
This game has me concerned.

Carr will make some mistakes, and he likes to hit the seams where 29 lurks. But he is throwing dimes on cover 3 beaters. Since Sparano took over, the Raiders are playing some inspired, though losing, football.

Remember when you were a kid playing b-ball with your buds, some of whom were on the HS team, and down at the gym you took on this rag tag looking group of old guys who wore short shorts and head bands? And were way better than you thought they would be because they know a lot of tricks to get you off your game? That is the Raiders. They have some accumulated football wisdom on that old losing squad. Enough to be real dangerous.

There are some big similarities to last year with Tampa. Bad records, rookie QB who throws deep strikes, abysmal run game on paper...but the similarities go deeper. As a defense, Seattle has not really struggled much with zone blocking squads, even talented groups like San Fran has. But we have had a real hard time with power schemes, like what Dallas runs, and what Tampa ran on us last year (sidepoint: you want to know why Tamps sucks this year? Lovie got rid of the power scheme and brought in a bunch of zone blockers, and they aren't up to par yet) The Raiders offensive line has some real talent. In fact, Donald Penn(last year with Tampa, and a big part of the 200 yards they rang up on us) is the left tackle, and I am guessing he is sharing his knowledge of what the power scheme did to a depleted Seattle LB corps last year. Guess what they will face this week? A depleted LB corps.

Over the last 3 games, since Sparano took over, Charles Woodson is not playing deep in cover 2 (if time has gotten past you, Woodson is not a CB anymore, but a FS) Since then, the Raiders are giving up 2.93 yards a rush. 2nd in the NFL. So the 26th in the NFL ranking may be a mirage. Granted, they have faced a San Diego squad with depleted running backs, and they shut down a Cleveland run game that is missing Mack at center, but they also held Andre Ellington to under 4 per carry, and Arians was determined to run the ball that game, so I din't think the recent run defense from the Raiders is luck, but schematic.

Since Sparano took over, Carr has 5 TDs and one INT. They are getting big plays. Carr is going after pelts too, he attacked Joe Haden a number of times. In those 3 games, McFadden is averaging 4.75 yards per run. Not bad at all. MJD is washed up, giving him the ball will be a favor to the Hawks, but the Raider run game is showing signs of life.

If anything, the big weakness of the Raiders is pass D. They give up explosive plays, and the high pass defense rank is a facade. The first month of the season, nobody had to pass on them. the 8.2 given up per pass suggests it isn't that hard. Charles Woodson has been clogging the middle of the field for them, but vs the Hawks clogging the middle is clogging unused space. Philip Rivers painted the edges and went over the top vs the Raiders, and he had a helluva day. Unless the PNW is windy as hell Sunday, I would expect Wilson to have a good day.

3Girls'HawkDad

Reaction score
I always wondered why the old guys in the gym had elbow pads on for basketball.

It was so they didn't hurt their elbows smacking you in the ribs and face to get a rebound.

I am looking for Wilson to gain more yards than Lynch (which is becoming a regularity) and the pass protection to be better.

Defense will look the same, but I see some turnovers coming the Hawks way. Raiders find a way to lose, and we are thankfully at home.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2n2dkqtw said:
This game has me concerned.

Carr will make some mistakes, and he likes to hit the seams where 29 lurks. But he is throwing dimes on cover 3 beaters. Since Sparano took over, the Raiders are playing some inspired, though losing, football.

Remember when you were a kid playing b-ball with your buds, some of whom were on the HS team, and down at the gym you took on this rag tag looking group of old guys who wore short shorts and head bands? And were way better than you thought they would be because they know a lot of tricks to get you off your game? That is the Raiders. They have some accumulated football wisdom on that old losing squad. Enough to be real dangerous.

There are some big similarities to last year with Tampa. Bad records, rookie QB who throws deep strikes, abysmal run game on paper...but the similarities go deeper. As a defense, Seattle has not really struggled much with zone blocking squads, even talented groups like San Fran has. But we have had a real hard time with power schemes, like what Dallas runs, and what Tampa ran on us last year (sidepoint: you want to know why Tamps sucks this year? Lovie got rid of the power scheme and brought in a bunch of zone blockers, and they aren't up to par yet) The Raiders offensive line has some real talent. In fact, Donald Penn(last year with Tampa, and a big part of the 200 yards they rang up on us) is the left tackle, and I am guessing he is sharing his knowledge of what the power scheme did to a depleted Seattle LB corps last year. Guess what they will face this week? A depleted LB corps.

Over the last 3 games, since Sparano took over, Charles Woodson is not playing deep in cover 2 (if time has gotten past you, Woodson is not a CB anymore, but a FS) Since then, the Raiders are giving up 2.93 yards a rush. 2nd in the NFL. So the 26th in the NFL ranking may be a mirage. Granted, they have faced a San Diego squad with depleted running backs, and they shut down a Cleveland run game that is missing Mack at center, but they also held Andre Ellington to under 4 per carry, and Arians was determined to run the ball that game, so I din't think the recent run defense from the Raiders is luck, but schematic.

Since Sparano took over, Carr has 5 TDs and one INT. They are getting big plays. Carr is going after pelts too, he attacked Joe Haden a number of times. In those 3 games, McFadden is averaging 4.75 yards per run. Not bad at all. MJD is washed up, giving him the ball will be a favor to the Hawks, but the Raider run game is showing signs of life.

If anything, the big weakness of the Raiders is pass D. They give up explosive plays, and the high pass defense rank is a facade. The first month of the season, nobody had to pass on them. the 8.2 given up per pass suggests it isn't that hard. Charles Woodson has been clogging the middle of the field for them, but vs the Hawks clogging the middle is clogging unused space. Philip Rivers painted the edges and went over the top vs the Raiders, and he had a helluva day. Unless the PNW is windy as hell Sunday, I would expect Wilson to have a good day.

Anyone else feel the old man sweat when Scotte laid out that metaphor? The old men at the gym sweat a lot, and we all ended up wearing it. It aroused me but grossed out most.

Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant post.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Also, like Pete, Sparano is not the most brilliant in game strategist. But, unlike Dennis Allen, Sparano is not interested in establishing his NFL chops. Sparano gets the best out of players, and while the Raiders are outmanned, they will be for the most part assignment disciplined.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2sspempu said:
Also, like Pete, Sparano is not the most brilliant in game strategist. But, unlike Dennis Allen, Sparano is not interested in establishing his NFL chops. Sparano gets the best out of players, and while the Raiders are outmanned, they will be for the most part assignment disciplined.

I would actually love to see the Raiders play TB or Jags. It doesn't feel right the Riders don't have a win and those two teams do. That's simply based on the "scrappy" factor.

I'd LOVE the NFL to have the worst two teams play every year for the 1st pick in the draft. I'd watch every minute of that.

kearly

Reaction score
Feels so much like Tampa last year. If we are talking about the Raiders offense.

Tampa had a defensive line (and a dirty coach) who beat the living hell out of Wilson. The Raiders do not. And Seattle's line is mostly healthy this time.

The Raiders pass defense is a sieve, and though Carr is a tough matchup, this is in Seattle, where no QB walks in and throws four TDs. Not the elite of the elite. Nobody.

I think this game will kind of feel like Buffalo in 2012, where Seattle won 50-17. The scoring probably won't happen the same way, but I expect Seattle to score plenty of TDs in this one.

In that Buffalo game, Fitzpatrick gave a heroic effort to make scores like 31-10 and 40-17 feel it was anyone's game. The Bills moved the ball well, and hell if Seattle could cover Stevie Johnson. But Fitz being who he is, chucked up a few ill-timed interceptions and failed a 4th down conversion. Take those mistakes away and the Bills moved the ball well enough to score 30 points. Without the big play TDs Seattle made on D/ST, this would have been a nailbiter.

But it wasn't. In the end it was 50-17, because Seattle made the big plays to put a pesky Bills team away. Seattle never waivered in their confidence.

Carr is almost the polar opposite of Fitz, but I think his performance could end up similar. 2 TDs, 2 picks. The Raiders roll up 14-24 points while feeling like they should have scored quite a bit more.

Carr is the kind of QB that can exploit Seattle's defense. We know this not only from watching him play, but from the success he had against Seattle's starting D in the preseason. One thing I remember from that game was how lucky Carr was on 3rd down (batting almost 1.000) and how he had multiple interceptions dropped, including a couple that were caught for first downs and touchdowns. I respect Carr but am not terribly worried. He was extremely lucky the last time he saw our D.

Meanwhile, I think Wilson will go off. And run defense means little to Marshawn Lynch, who does most of his damage on cut back runs and improvised plays. Seattle has been a pass first team this year anyway. Lynch has been averaging just 15.5 carries per game, compared to 30+ dropbacks per game for Wilson.

chris98251

Reaction score
That pass first team if it's numbers is Harvin generated, I would look at post Harvin not the force feeding that was done before.