Cuts made....

A

Anonymous

lsheldon":1ydf1vrn said:
What do you guys think about Dowtin? He looked pretty good against the Bears. Just not sure if we need another LB though with the talent we currently have at that position.

I've got the game on in the lounge and will try to pay more attention to him on this watch.

(I'm supposed to be changing a head gasket right now though...)

Tylerhawk

Reaction score
gowazzu02":70a3dmy6 said:
Wait a minute people are really surprised Bronson got cut?????
im surprised he was I one the first round of cuts. I knew he was going to get cut but I thought he was going to get cut when we go done to 53 man.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1r5zlikm said:
Bronson looked decent in spots, but he was never going to make the final roster as a tailback. The field is too crowded as it is. I think the team needs to take good long look at Ware as a RB in Oakland and continue to look at Michael as a potential RB2. In that regard, it makes sense to drop Bronson now, because the RB reps are becoming precious.

Right now, you're looking at Seattle keeping 4 or 5 of the following: Lynch, Turbin, Michael, Coleman, Small and Ware. And remember that keeping five could cost you a sixth WR (e.g. Lockette).

Lynch, Turbin, Michael, and Coleman are automatics if they stay healthy.

If Bronson clears waivers, it's unlikely Ware makes the final 53. They only need one insurance running back in case Lynch were to get hurt during the season. In that regard, I'm not sure there is a big difference between Bronson (4.1 yards per carry) and Ware (3.1 yards per carry). Both are big backs with good athleticism, and the coaches seem to have more or less given up on turning Ware into a FB.

The big question is whether they see enough utility to keep Small on the final 53 or rather risk him not clearing waivers (Jacksonville is one team searching for another FB). Maybe they take that risk after Ware clears waivers. Anyway, in the last game it seemed as though they were moving away from the FB as a major staple of the offense. One FB might be enough this year.

lsheldon

Reaction score
HoustonHawk82":152fqjmi said:
lsheldon":152fqjmi said:
What do you guys think about Dowtin? He looked pretty good against the Bears. Just not sure if we need another LB though with the talent we currently have at that position.

I've got the game on in the lounge and will try to pay more attention to him on this watch.

He played in the 4th quarter.

A

Anonymous

lsheldon":3tzhwz17 said:
HoustonHawk82":3tzhwz17 said:
lsheldon":3tzhwz17 said:

He played in the 4th quarter.

Thanks.

kearly

Reaction score
I don't know what they are thinking with Coleman. This is a team that stockpiles road graders who can't pass block, has the highest run and play action percentage in the league, and has more money and draft picks invested at RB than most teams in the NFL. Yet they seem to favor a fullback who's does everything good EXCEPT for lead blocking.

If Coleman played WR he'd be our 3rd best blocking receiver at most. Meanwhile, Small is actually showing something this preseason and seems to be getting ignored by the team and media. I don't get it.

Regarding the cuts, I think Thomas Wolfe is close to being an NFL player, but he's too small for the LOB. Wouldn't be surprised if he caught on elsewhere. Kevin Smith is sad but not surprising. There are so many receivers on the 90 man roster that even interesting players like Smith and Matthews basically had no real opportunity to make a case.

Largent80

Reaction score
Kearly, what is your opinion on Small?

I haven't been able to scrutinize his play. I have seen him knock the crap outta some people though.

kearly

Reaction score
He's quick and knows how to pop. Looks clumsy and awkward as an outlet receiver, but he's a good blocker and I like how his lack of height helped him on that 4th and 1 FB dive.

Bret Bielema raved and raved about him. The last time Bielema was so emphatic about one of his players was Russell Wilson.

Uthawk

Reaction score
On the Radio Pete seemed to indicate that they've already made their other 7 cuts. Now just waiting for a press release or someone to leak on twitter.

Largent80

Reaction score
kearly":1ldm8dm9 said:
Bret Bielema raved and raved about him. The last time Bielema was so emphatic about one of his players was Russell Wilson.

I'm sold then.

drdiags

Reaction score
Uthawk":20qkmih1 said:
On the Radio Pete seemed to indicate that they've already made their other 7 cuts. Now just waiting for a press release or someone to leak on twitter.

That makes sense, otherwise if one of the players to be cut had gotten hurt in practice today the team would be on the hook to pay a medical settlement they could have avoided.

dusktreader

Reaction score
I would like to see Ware make a lot of carries in Oakland so I can get another good look at him. I don't believe in the guy, and I don't think PC/JS are going to carry a 4th HB on the active roster just based on potential. Based on what I've seen of him, he's never going to be better than a #2 or a situational back, and we have both a solid #2 and a great situational back ahead of him. Ware isn't going to carry the mantle for Marshawn when he runs out of steam; I think that honor is CMike's to lose.

I'm not very confident it will happen, but I would like to see Kiero Small make the active roster. I think Coleman has maxed out his potential, and I'm not terribly impressed. Some of the fireworks I've seen from Small have been pretty awesome, though! He's definitely my adopt-a-rookie, and I'm cheering for him to make the 53.

Tokadub

Reaction score
DavidSeven":37joaswi said:
Bronson looked decent in spots, but he was never going to make the final roster as a tailback. The field is too crowded as it is. I think the team needs to take good long look at Ware as a RB in Oakland and continue to look at Michael as a potential RB2. In that regard, it makes sense to drop Bronson now, because the RB reps are becoming precious.

Right now, you're looking at Seattle keeping 4 or 5 of the following: Lynch, Turbin, Michael, Coleman, Small and Ware. And remember that keeping five could cost you a sixth WR (e.g. Lockette).

I think we should keep 5 and let Ware go.

But I also think we NEED to keep 6 WR's (Harvin, Baldwin, Norwood, Richardson, Kearse, Lockette).

I'd rather keep 6 WR's than 5 RB's but Ware is the only guy you listed that I would be OK letting go.

Honestly I think we should just keep 2 Tight Ends which might allow us to keep 5 RB's, 6 WR's, and 3 QBs?

I think Keeping Pryor makes a lot of sense but he won't be necessary for a Super Bowl repeat I'd rather have TJack as our back up. But we could trade TJack or Pryor in the future for some good value I think especially if Kaepernick gets injured or some other team is desperate.

AgentDib

Reaction score
I'm rooting for Pryor but I hope he does well on practice squad or with another team. TJack is a much better option in the near term and 2015-2016 can sort itself out after this season. SiriusNFL has been talking up all of the mobile QBs coming out next year and we could probably spend a 3rd or 4th on someone like Fajardo, Petty or Keeton (preferably Fajardo).

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Tokadub":145qibw9 said:
I think we should keep 5 and let Ware go.

But I also think we NEED to keep 6 WR's (Harvin, Baldwin, Norwood, Richardson, Kearse, Lockette).

I'd rather keep 6 WR's than 5 RB's but Ware is the only guy you listed that I would be OK letting go.

Honestly I think we should just keep 2 Tight Ends which might allow us to keep 5 RB's, 6 WR's, and 3 QBs?

If you're keeping a 3rd QB, then you would probably also need to cut an extra lineman (e.g. Garry Gilliam) to make the numbers work (even with only 2 TEs). Seattle almost always carries 10 OL, so that seems unlikely. I can only envision 5 RBs/6 WRs if they carry 2 QBs and 2 TEs (which they did to start 2013).

kpak76

Reaction score
AgentDib":221sgwv1 said:
I'm rooting for Pryor but I hope he does well on practice squad or with another team. TJack is a much better option in the near term and 2015-2016 can sort itself out after this season. SiriusNFL has been talking up all of the mobile QBs coming out next year and we could probably spend a 3rd or 4th on someone like Fajardo, Petty or Keeton (preferably Fajardo).

This has been mentioned before but TP is not eligable for the PS. He is either making the roster or getting cut. My thoughts are he is cut after how he looked against Chicago. He would be interesting to hold onto year 1 or year 2 in the rebuild, but we have championship aspirations now. We need every roster for guys ready to play and TP isn't ready to play yet.

CANHawk

Reaction score
Bronson is the annual pre season 4th quarter hero running back. Not even remotely surprised to see him go first. Absolutely nothing special. Looked slightly above average against scrubs.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
kpak76":1muxlnd0 said:
AgentDib":1muxlnd0 said:

This has been mentioned before but TP is not eligable for the PS. He is either making the roster or getting cut. My thoughts are he is cut after how he looked against Chicago. He would be interesting to hold onto year 1 or year 2 in the rebuild, but we have championship aspirations now. We need every roster for guys ready to play and TP isn't ready to play yet.

There are new practice squad rules this year. In addition to expanding the PS to ten players, each team will be permitted to sign a maximum of two PS players who have earned no more than two accrued seasons of free agency credit. Pryor has no more than two accrued seasons, so he could potentially be one of the Seahawks' two exceptions for the practice squad if he cleared waivers.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Pryor could play on the practice squad. Do you really fear him playing for the Rams? After the overblown reaction to the Chicago game I would think many here would be rooting for that. The Rams would probably throw money at TJack though if they could.