Cowboys' Heath not fined for hit on Seahawks' Lockette

Bigbadhawk

Reaction score
VivaEfrenHerrera":7gdxj8fq said:
mikeak":7gdxj8fq said:
Clearly the issue was fining a person 2/3's of his game salary
I think you're right, actually.

I still don't understand why the NFL doesnt go to a fine system that involves a % of their game check instead of a set amount. A 20k fine is a drop in the bucket to a person making 250k a game vs someone making 35k for the same game.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
I thought the Chancellor hit on VD was clean, I thought Tate's hit on Lee was clean. Heath's hit n Lockette was clean (and probably cleaner than the first two). If Lockette gets up and walks away, no one even bats an eye. The result was terrible, but it was a clean hit.

Msfann

Reaction score
I thought it was a clean hit too though borderline which is why I wouldn't have been surprised if there was a fine.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
The idea of it being a clean hit is kind of cloudy. There were some elements to it either way.

Regardless, it's not in the best interest as an organization for the NFL to fine the player. If they do, then it needs to be clearly defined as a correction. It would almost be an indictment that something needs to be changed. Whether or not the league wants to change something, it would need to be an issue that is thoroughly dissected before an official response is issued from a product point of view.

Really, I'd be curious to see how Lockette feels about it. I almost think that it's possible I'd be surprised at what he thinks about it. He might just take the warriors stance because that's essentially what he embodies with a job like that, which has it's pros and cons.

This isn't simple.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
Bigbadhawk":2yib06cj said:
VivaEfrenHerrera":2yib06cj said:
mikeak":2yib06cj said:

I still don't understand why the NFL doesnt go to a fine system that involves a % of their game check instead of a set amount. A 20k fine is a drop in the bucket to a person making 250k a game vs someone making 35k for the same game.

Because it's not fair.... you're going to take more money from one player than another for the same infraction just because one started with more money? If two players did the same thing it's kind of a weird message to take two different sums of money from both.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
HawkFan72":23sas9uj said:
Sign37now":23sas9uj said:
HawkGA":23sas9uj said:
Lockett ducked his head a bit so it ended up worse than it would have. But as to the other examples of things that were fined that shouldn't have been, I won't argue.

:13: I agree. Had he not put his head down he would have been hit right in the chest.. Unfortunate, yes. Dirty, no.

That's how I saw it too. It's unfortunate that Lockette got hurt, but I don't think Heath did anything wrong intentionally.
Neither did Kam Chancellor when he hit Vernon Davis, but the League still FINED his ass, and although his hit was harder than the one on Lockette, the point of contact was quite a bit lower.
Golden Tate was also FINED for a Blindside hit on a Cowboy (sean Lee).
The FINES are supposedly levied to remind them to take special precautions when making contact, ESPECIALLY around the head area.
Intentional, or unintentional makes no difference, but it is pretty pathetic that the FINES are inconsistently handed out.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
It was a blindside hit, with a sideline to sideline approach, to the head and neck, by the rules it is an illegal play.

Blaze

Reaction score
My opinion is that after dropping his head at the last second it became an unfortunate "clean hit', I also feel that if the roles were reversed in this situation then Lockette would've been fined unfortunately, I also think that petition is lame, :snack:

HawkGA

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":rvjky42y said:
Because it's not fair.... you're going to take more money from one player than another for the same infraction just because one started with more money? If two players did the same thing it's kind of a weird message to take two different sums of money from both.

Probably less unfair than opting not to fine someone because they don't make very much money. Not saying that is why he didn't draw a fine here but it definitely looks like a possibility. Any approach is going to have its problems, but at the point that you (the league) say it is a problem and then don't do anything about it when you do in other situations, that's a problem (and again, I say this as somebody who didn't think the hit was penalty or fine worthy on its own merits, but is in the context of other things the league has done).

A

Anonymous

NFL Office Supervisor: "All right folks, these fines for hits are getting out of hand. Let's start reducing the instances of fines for hits to only the really nasty and obvious ones. How about we fine only when they are in at least critical condition, or can no longer play anymore after the hit, then will nail the guy that did it"

NFL Office Minion: "Sounds great boss, where and how do we start?"

NFL Office Supervisor: "Well, I don't know, maybe we start with a team that has been one of our whipping boys for the last 10 years? (short pause...) How about Seattle?"

NFL Office Minion: "Cool! great idea boss. Those refs have long spent all that money, and, and.. the Seahawks went to the big dance three times, and we let them be champs in one of them! This way it will seem like we are now cutting them some slack. It'll be perfect!"

NFL Office Supervisor: "Nahhh, that'll be too obvious. Let's go ahead and start with the Cowboys, it'll be a nice reverse swing with all that Hardy stuff in the news. Plus, we need to throw Jerry a bone, you know, since his QB is such a glass pansy choker and everything. What do y'all think?"

NFL Office Minion: "Sounds good boss. Hey look, the Seahawks play them this weekend! Maybe we'll get lucky?"

NFL Office Supervisor: "Awesome, make it so."

NFL Office Minion: "Gee boss, I wish I was as smart as you!"

NFL Office Supervisor: "Hey now, I don't live two doors down from Belichick for my health you know."

mikeak

Reaction score
Bigbadhawk":1amwmbuc said:
VivaEfrenHerrera":1amwmbuc said:
mikeak":1amwmbuc said:

Like this? lol

http://www.businessinsider.com/a-millio ... ket-2015-3

mikeak

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":3tpnl1sl said:
Bigbadhawk":3tpnl1sl said:
VivaEfrenHerrera":3tpnl1sl said:
mikeak":3tpnl1sl said:

The fine is there to "incentivize" the player not to do it again as well as "punish" him.

You could certainly argue a fixed penalty plus a percentage made to sting a little to make sure it doesn't happen again

Trying to figure out if this used anywhere in our society......... Oh yes now I rememeber our legal system

Rocket

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1k57kv9u said:
HawkFan72":1k57kv9u said:
Sign37now":1k57kv9u said:
HawkGA":1k57kv9u said:
Lockett ducked his head a bit so it ended up worse than it would have. But as to the other examples of things that were fined that shouldn't have been, I won't argue.
:13: I agree. Had he not put his head down he would have been hit right in the chest.. Unfortunate, yes. Dirty, no.
That's how I saw it too. It's unfortunate that Lockette got hurt, but I don't think Heath did anything wrong intentionally.
Neither did Golden Tate on Sean Lee which was a "cleaner hit" but Jerruh cried to the league loud and long enough he got Tate a fine.
It almost looks like you're not a fan of the infamous Cowboys owner, Bro... :th2thumbs:

OP
OP
G

gcolby

Reaction score
ZagHawk":2mpj6lrx said:
I thought the Chancellor hit on VD was clean, I thought Tate's hit on Lee was clean. Heath's hit n Lockette was clean (and probably cleaner than the first two). If Lockette gets up and walks away, no one even bats an eye. The result was terrible, but it was a clean hit.

Chancellor on VD was right in the numbers = clean
Tate on lee was right in the numbers = clean
Heath on Lockette was neck area = not clean

Don't know how you can watch the tape and see it any other way. Blandino got it right. Thats also how Pete Carroll saw it as high and out of the strike zone on Brock & Salk

sam1313

Reaction score
Chrome_Seahawk":28h65p8e said:
HawkGA":28h65p8e said:
It wasn't a dirty hit. Really shouldn't have even drawn a penalty.
I still insist that they planned and likely even practiced the setup of Lockette on that play (the initial defender intentionally gave him inside leverage and then rode him basically right into Heath before he backed off) - but I don't believe that they intended to injure him - just to send a message. In that regard....I think it was a little dirty....not sure if it really warranted a penalty or a though.

I just started another thread in which I was saying the same thing. Sure seemed planned to me. Should have been fined more in that case...

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
If it was illegal, how was it not fined? Makes no sense.

nanomoz

Reaction score
It very clearly wasn't a blind-side hit. If it was, Lockette wouldn't have known to brace for impact.

It was probably schemed to get a big shot on him with coverage misdirection, since he's a great gunner, but that's not illegal, no matter what we feel about the hit.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
sam1313":2xqh9638 said:
Chrome_Seahawk":2xqh9638 said:
HawkGA":2xqh9638 said:
It wasn't a dirty hit. Really shouldn't have even drawn a penalty.
I still insist that they planned and likely even practiced the setup of Lockette on that play (the initial defender intentionally gave him inside leverage and then rode him basically right into Heath before he backed off) - but I don't believe that they intended to injure him - just to send a message. In that regard....I think it was a little dirty....not sure if it really warranted a penalty or a though.

I just started another thread in which I was saying the same thing. Sure seemed planned to me. Should have been fined more in that case...
I couldn't agree more.
Sean Peyton was suspended, and the NO Saints got their asses FINED for their Bounty horse shit.
Pete Carroll is getting all kinds of accolades across the League, High schools, & Colleges for instilling a safer tackling technique, and yet the Seahawks are FINED while some of the others around the League aren't even getting their hands slapped?
If Heath would have had to pay $20 k +, it would have definitely sent him AND a few others a message... There's going to be some stiff consequences.
Like I said before, Intentional or not makes no difference, some of these guys are intentionally hitting as hard as they can, but not making the necessary adjustments to minimize making contact to the head.

Latest posts