Could Fumbles Be An Issue Today? (Study Says So)

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
I posted this in another thread, but after doing so decided to delete that and make this its own topic, as I was afraid that this would probably just end up getting buried.

I was out and about today listening to a non-sports radio station (which I don't normally do) ... and the host began talking about the game on Sunday and actually cited an interesting study ESPN conducted about athletic performance and the cold. I was intrigued, so found it when I got home and actually just through reading through it. Here is the print form of that study (I've noted a couple of the more meatier paragraphs from that study below) ...

Even though they may be used to playing in the frigid cold, such conditions do have an impact on a football player’s performance, as by the ESPN Sport Science crew in a recent video. In the video, John Brenkus and his team start by collecting baseline measurements of his reaction time, his grip strength, and both his skin temperature and his core temperature.

Those baseline measurements revealed that Brenkus’s skin temperature was 72 degrees and that his core temperature was 99 degrees. He then entered an ice truck, where the temperature was 10 degrees, to simulate the cold-weather conditions faced by NFL football players. After just 15 minutes, the skin temperature of his hands fell to approximately 35 degrees. This caused his grip strength to be reduced by more than half as his cardiovascular system began to pump less blood to his extremities.

Thirty minutes into the experiment, his core temperature remained unchanged, but at a cost. To maintain core temperatures, his body began to burn glucose five times faster than in warm weather, leaving less energy for performance and reducing his total reaction time by 45 percent.
Source:
How much does cold weather actually affect football?
http://www.redorbit.com/news/science/1113311322/how-much-does-cold-weather-affect-football-010915/

You can actually WATCH his experiment at the following link:
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=12137030

Now, one potential criticism of the study that is immediately apparent to me -- the test subject John Brenkus was inside of an ice truck. He wasn't really exercising -- moving around like the guys will be this Sunday. That certainly would seem to me to affect those results. Secondly, at least as far as the defense is concerned, I would say that they will probably be rotating guys often. I would think there probably will be heaters on the sidelines for the players there, which will also impact performance I would say. The offense certainly won't be out on the field all the time, so I'd think they'd have a chance to get warm on the sidelines.

I'm hoping that's the case and that they've developed ways to effectively combat the cold ... because honestly there could be something to the whole reduced reaction times and decreased grip strength (i.e. higher chance of fumbles, missed tackles, etc.) thing. Case in point ...

Sample of the Coldest Recorded Games in NFL History ...

Jan 20, 2008 -- NFC Championship at Lambeau Field (Temp -4 Degrees ... Wind Chill -24 Degrees)
Giants 23 ... Packers 20
Giants had 5 Fumbles ... Packers had 1 Fumble

Jan 15, 1994 at Ralph Wilson Stadium (Temp 0 Degrees ... Wind Chill -32 Degrees)
Bills 29 ... Raiders 23
Bills had 3 Fumbles ... Raiders had 2 Fumbles

Dec 26, 1993 at Lambeau Field (Temp 0 Degrees)
Packers 28 ... Raiders 0
Raiders had 5 Fumbles ... Packers had 1 Fumble

Dec 22, 1990 at Lambeau Field (2 Degees)
Lions 24 ... Packers 17
Packers had 3 Fumbles ... Lions had 2 Fumbles
Source:
http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/09000d5d824da7dd

Let's hope that the Hawks find ways to effectively counter the cold and that they at least find a way to hold on to the ball.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I think so. I think it will be for our RB's and for them Teddy "small hands" Bridgewater, and AP.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
It's quite frankly the only real fear I have tomorrow is turnovers deciding the game. I was quite pleased to see C Mike wrapping the football up on that big 50 yard run last week against the Cardinals. Towards the end of the run he wrapped that ball up like it was his newborn infant.

THAT is the C Mike we need to see today.

Rob12

Reaction score
Call me crazy but I wouldn't mind if RW led the team in carries tomorrow. A lot of read option, and a lot of passes. I'm impressed with Michael, but I don't know if I trust him enough to carry the rock 15-20 times in beyond frigid temperatures. I hope I'm wrong... But the Seahawks have to find a way to protect the football in some pretty bad weather conditions.

Silver lining? If the weather is a problem, no one is better at fumbling the ball than Adrian Peterson. I predict he gives at least one to us, and probably more.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
One potential perk is that the Refs might back off on the ticky tack stuff and allow both teams to be a little chippy. They're the guys who are gonna be out there for the most part without heaters. More penaties = more stoppage = more stoppage = longer game = the longer the game.

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
Pandion Haliaetus":3hwn1dcz said:
One potential perk is that the Refs might back off on the ticky tack stuff and allow both teams to be a little chippy. They're the guys who are gonna be out there for the most part without heaters. More penaties = more stoppage = more stoppage = longer game = the longer the game.

So, So true! :th2thumbs:

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2r2r0fqt said:
I think so. I think it will be for our RB's and for them Teddy "small hands" Bridgewater, and AP.

Bilgewater wears gloves, so I doubt that will be an issue. Russ refuses to wear gloves, so perhaps his big hands will save him. Our RBs scare the crap outta me!

OP
OP
Hawkscanner

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Thanks for chiming in guys. You know, when I first read the article and began writing this post ... I started off somewhat skeptical. After all, the test subject (John Brenkus) wasn't moving around and really exercising ... so of course the effects he would be more pronounced. He wasn't working up a sweat, getting his heart rate up and getting that blood flow really moving quickly to his extremities.

And then I took a look at the data from some of the coldest recorded NFL games in history -- that really got my attention. I mean ...

The Giants-Packers 2008 NFC Championship at Lambeau Field ... 6 Total Fumbles

The Bills-Raiders game from Jan 15, 1994 at Ralph Wilson Stadium ... 5 Total Fumbles

The Packers-Raiders game from Dec. 26, 1993 at Lambeau Field ... 6 Total Fumbles

The Packers-Lions game from Dec. 22, 1990 at Lambeau Field ... 5 Total Fumbles

Good Night!! If that doesn't speak to the issue decreased grip strength, I don't know what does.

Curious enough to me in looking at the numbers from those games is the fact that the Packers had far fewer fumbles than their opponents. I'm wondering if they eventually figured out some effective strategies for helping to eliminate fumbles in extreme cold weather situations. This is where John Schneider's experience in Green Bay could really potentially benefit us today. I'm wondering if he knows about those potential interventions already or if he's talked to his Packer contacts about this. I'm thinking Holmgren might have some possible insights on effective strategies. Hopefully the Hawks have taken a look at data like this already and are working on ways to effectively counter the effects of the cold today. We'll see how it goes for sure.

hawkfannj

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":2ukg0qph said:
I'm not sure about that after that bengals Pitt game last night it might be a flag fest

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Interesting that about the 2008 game is how much the teams threw the ball. Manning threw 41 times. Favre 35 times.

OP
OP
Hawkscanner

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1ei9prlw said:
Interesting that about the 2008 game is how much the teams threw the ball. Manning threw 41 times. Favre 35 times.

Yeah, I thought that was interesting too -- just how much some of these teams threw the ball and the amount of success they had. Plaxico Burress had 11 catches for 151 yards in that game. So it is possible to have huge passing/receiving days contrary to popular belief. You just have to HOLD ON to the darned football in these kinds of games -- that's all.