Copycat league: Chiefs go for noise record

LandofBoz

Reaction score
To be at the CLINK Sunday night -- having traveled 6,000 miles round trip from Connecticut to be part of history -- was a bucket list moment for this diehard Hawks fan.

So forgive me if I'm a little protective of our World Record.

Now, apparently our one-time AFC West nemesis is trying to one-up the 12s.

Chiefs fans will try to break the noise record when they play the Raiders on Oct. 13 at Arrowhead.

http://www.kctv5.com/story/23452000/chiefs-fans-hope-to-set-stadium-noise-record-at-arrowhead

I feel we have several things working in our favor, from us battling for NFC supremacy in a nationally-televised primetime game to stadium design to the fact that Hawks fans spent the entire day lubricating the vocal chords with adult beverages.

I guess imitation is indeed the best form of flattery.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
LandofBoz":36dydb03 said:
To be at the CLINK Sunday night -- having traveled 6,000 miles round trip from Connecticut to be part of history -- was a bucket list moment for this diehard Hawks fan.

So forgive me if I'm a little protective of our World Record.

Now, apparently our one-time AFC West nemesis is trying to one-up the 12s.

Chiefs fans will try to break the noise record when they play the Raiders on Oct. 13 at Arrowhead.

http://www.kctv5.com/story/23452000/chiefs-fans-hope-to-set-stadium-noise-record-at-arrowhead

I feel we have several things working in our favor, from us battling for NFC supremacy in a nationally-televised primetime game to stadium design to the fact that Hawks fans spent the entire day lubricating the vocal chords with adult beverages.

I guess imitation is indeed the best form of flattery.

Yeah they announced shortly after it was confirmed we were doing it, that several other teams were going to go for the record too

Scottemojo

Reaction score
That is a big and loud stadium. Maybe they get it? So what? Compete.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Scottemojo":yph6nit0 said:
That is a big and loud stadium. Maybe they get it? So what? Compete.

I see what you did there...

drdiags

Reaction score
The Saints and Vikings should try as well. The NFL has encouraged home field noise because of the atmosphere it adds to the broadcasts. If the record falls, just have to make another run at it in a few years. The Fluke db meter they used here looked like a new age meter. Hopefully the cal sticker hadn't expired.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Arrowhead is the only place that has a legit shot to challenge us. If they can't do it, no one else can.

LawlessHawk

Reaction score
It was quite amusing watching the Stealers Bengals game Monday and seeing all the defensive players for the Bengals walking around between plays giving the "raise the noise" arm gestures, they were doing it the whole game. Funny because all those players probably watched the Hawks game in shock and awe the night before and were trying to get their fans to be revved up like that... They didn't sound even close to what was rocking the Clink.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
I have been there. They are loud, but no way does it touch the Clink. I am talking completely different level here.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
HawkFan72":2i3wgsx6 said:
Arrowhead is the only place that has a legit shot to challenge us. If they can't do it, no one else can.

Maybe the Georgia dome? Or the Superdome?

I don't think any other team will do it though.

drdiags

Reaction score
I hear the Ravens home stadium is pretty loud as well. That is what some of the AFC teams that visit mention when reporters ask them if they are worried about playing in Seattle with the crowd noise.

kearly

Reaction score
If they do get it, against the Raiders, I'll be impressed.

Msfann

Reaction score
"Seattle definitely has an advantage acoustically, but Arrowhead seats about 10,000 more fans! It can be done."

Not with them playing the raiders heh.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I plan to troll their most popular forum when the person running it Tweets out the first/best result. I'll be banned in moments, but it'll be worth it.

"127.4 decibels. Sea of red? More like sea of fail. Go tend to your cows, or something. #136.6"

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Imitation is definitely the sincerest form of flattery, and a testament to what folks in Seattle have been able to accomplish. No small feat, and something to be very proud of.

All that said, I think there's the chance that the degree to which this has captured the public consciousness might not be a good thing for Hawks fans in the long run.

The NFL lifted some restrictions in promoting crowd noise this offseason (see: http://goo.gl/OtZQM9 ), but as I know many of you remember from the Kingdome, teams have historically gotten penalized if crowd noise was disruptive, and that's still in the rule book (see #4 on p. 100 for the ref's signal for the crowd noise penalty): http://goo.gl/q7N4n ).

Goodell has also historically been quite clear on how he believes crowd noise should play a role, and should not play a role ( http://goo.gl/e2X7GV ):

Goodell said he believed that noise should lift a defense, not interrupt an offense. He said he did not want to hush the crowd, just limit its impact.

“That’s what our game is about: our athletes and coaches playing at the highest possible level and being able to execute their game plans,” Goodell said Sept. 6, during his first news conference after succeeding Paul Tagliabue.

“To some extent right now, I think we are hindering that a little bit, because they come into an opposing stadium and they are not able to put the full offense in, they are not able to run plays in, they are not able to change the plays at the line of scrimmage.”

This from the same piece back in '06 about the CLink where Goodell first forwarded the idea of putting wireless headseats in the offenses helmet for pre-snap use.

So, nothing to really be concerned about at this point and a lot to be very proud about, but I have to imagine the Hawks org probably isn't too pleased that someone is already trying to imitate them, and definitely hoping it doesn't become a trend.

Latest posts