Copa America

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
SeatownJay":3i2xt84h said:
John Brooks was amazing tonight. On to the quarterfinals. If Costa Rica can somehow manage to beat Colombia, then the US wins the group and will play in Seattle.

That's looking like a very strong possibility with 30 minutes left.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
JSeahawks":3p6ofahl said:
SeatownJay":3p6ofahl said:
John Brooks was amazing tonight. On to the quarterfinals. If Costa Rica can somehow manage to beat Colombia, then the US wins the group and will play in Seattle.

That's looking like a very strong possibility with 30 minutes left.
Costa Rica hold on for the win. Now we have to wait to see what happens tomorrow to find out who the US will face. It's a bit of a shame that DeAndre Yedlin won't get to play in his home town, though it is his own fault.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Wish I could go to the quarter final but tickets are too expensive to swing last minute.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
It will be USA v Ecuador on Thursday. USA beat Ecuador 1-0 in a friendly less than a month ago so these teams are familiar with each other.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Brazil gets knocked out. They got absolutely screwed. Dude from Peru punched the ball into the goal, no hand ball called.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2hefoinv said:
Brazil gets knocked out. They got absolutely screwed. Dude from Peru punched the ball into the goal, no hand ball called.
Yes, it was a handball, but I can't be too chuffed about it considering Brazil should've lost the opener to Ecuador but for a referee error in their favor.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
SeatownJay":1ymoerzm said:
It will be USA v Ecuador on Thursday. USA beat Ecuador 1-0 in a friendly less than a month ago so these teams are familiar with each other.

Good matchup for the US

Uncle Si

Reaction score
yep... nice tap in from 12... no word on whether the distributor will be awarded both an assist and a goal for making it so easy.

He was rubbish after that and had to be subbed off once Yedlin went mental. I'm sorry. I don't want him off the roster, but I can't wait for the day when this nation can effectively replace him. Same with Jones. Same with Bradley.

I guess I look at this way, and Dempsey is a chief example: is scoring a goal "production" or having a good game? I remember him scoring one minute into the game with ghana. he was non existent the rest of the match. Good game?

I will leave you to ponder...

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3j4i41hk said:
yep... nice tap in from 12... no word on whether the distributor will be awarded both an assist and a goal for making it so easy.

He was rubbish after that and had to be subbed off once Yedlin went mental. I'm sorry. I don't want him off the roster, but I can't wait for the day when this nation can effectively replace him. Same with Jones. Same with Bradley.

I guess I look at this way, and Dempsey is a chief example: is scoring a goal "production" or having a good game? I remember him scoring one minute into the game with ghana. he was non existent the rest of the match. Good game?

Production is production, I don't care how it happens, or for what length of time it happens for.

The job of a striker and/or forward is to produce, and Dempsey produces, period. Far more than anyone else on this roster, and it's not even close.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Production is Production? Woof...If you think the job of a striker is just to score goals then i don't know what to tell you. You're missing a really intriguing sport out there though.

Yeah, he produces more than anyone on the roster... which is sad. He also can't help the team in possession when needed, can't defend, doesn't lift his head up to spring attacks and generally kills most forward movement.

But yeah, he produces. One day we might actually see someone who plays that position at its intended (Ozil, Mkhtaryian, Di Maria, De Bruyne, David Silva, Marco Reus, Isco) do so for the US...

Until then we will just idly accept Clint Dempsey and his production.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2upxprxa said:
Uncle Si":2upxprxa said:

Production is production, I don't care how it happens, or for what length of time it happens for.

The job of a striker and/or forward is to produce, and Dempsey produces, period. Far more than anyone else on this roster, and it's not even close.

If scoring is production...then it doesn't make sense why Jozy Altidore was left off the team. Jozy is a better scorer than Dempsey plus is more of a speed threat than Clint. Clint is great but doesn't impact games as he once did - in MLS or on USMNT.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
hawkfan68":2un1y27k said:
If scoring is production...then it doesn't make sense why Jozy Altidore was left off the team. Jozy is a better scorer than Dempsey plus is more of a speed threat than Clint. Clint is great but doesn't impact games as he once did - in MLS or on USMNT.
Altidore isn't with the squad because he's recovering from his annual Summertime injury.

On another subject, why can't we use all natural grass venues to host International soccer matches? I really don't like the sod laid over the top of turf that seems to make up the majority of playing surfaces in this tournament. I sincerely hope that our bid for the 2026 World Cup specifies only natural grass facilities. It wouldn't be that hard.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawkfan68":3fk1m84i said:
Sgt. Largent":3fk1m84i said:
Uncle Si":3fk1m84i said:

Altidore is hurt, that's why he's off the roster. Maybe he should show up anyway, sit on the bench and throw tantrums to help his team to victory.

btw, Dempsey has more goals and WAY more assists than Altidore, so your statement isn't even true.

Smurf

Reaction score
A player has a good game when their influence is felt regardless of where they appear on the score sheet.

A player can have a good game, and be productive with the ball without appearing on the scoresheet in any fashion.

Si, and I agree on this. Which is weird.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1jkpfdmn said:
Altidore is hurt, that's why he's off the roster. Maybe he should show up anyway, sit on the bench and throw tantrums to help his team to victory.

Get a hold of yourself.

Smurf

Reaction score
Uncle Si":z72dc907 said:
Sgt. Largent":z72dc907 said:

Get a hold of yourself.

LOL.

Latest posts