Coordinators interviewing for HC jobs during the playoffs

seabowl

Reaction score
Both of our coordinators have interviewed with other teams for their vacant head coaching positions. Now I'm certainly all for allowing them to rise up the corporate ladder "so to speak", however, I do not agree that the NFL should allow anyone to interview while the playoffs are going on. With this I mean any teams coaches whether in or not in the playoffs. IMO this is a huge distraction to not only the team that the coordinator is a part of but also the coordinator himself while trying to prepare for the next playoff opponent. Nobody can tell me that Bevell or Quinn hasn't been somewhat distracted from their day to day with going on interviews or thinking about the whole situation. We were lucky to get the week off because if we did not then they would have been interviewing the same week as we were playing.

I believe the NFL should put a moratorium while the playoffs are happening with regards to hiring personell that are coordinators or head coaches. I am aware this will probably never happen but want to see what others feel on this subject.

2_0_6

Reaction score
They interviewed on the bye week, when the team had a couple days off.

If anything, I think that they will put even more of an emphasis on calling a great game to make their resume look even better.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":1huatjy7 said:

If anything, I think that they will put even more of an emphasis on calling a great game to make their resume look even better.

I understand they interviewed during the bye week however it still is a distraction. Also, would you be somewhat upset if they interviewed next week for a position assuming we win this wee? I would. To you second point I too thought about them calling a good game this week to enhance their chances of being hired. I then thought the teams looking to hire will probably not judge the candidates on how their team does during the one week of the playoffs.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Do some research.

If you do, you'll find that there ARE rules in place.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":5chgpgvd said:
Do some research.

Not with our coordinators interviewing for jobs last week.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I have never understood why there isn't a rule in College or the NFL that says you must wait until the season is finished before starting the interview process. It's a distraction and I don't care who says otherwise.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
Aros":2pu455ba said:
I have never understood why there isn't a rule in College or the NFL that says you must wait until the season is finished before starting the interview process. It's a distraction and I don't care who says otherwise.

Obviously I agree. Just think about this:

Imagine there is a large corporation about to embark in a few days on a huge deal, aquisition, product launch etc... and all of the sudden a few competitors interview your 2 top managers for CEO positions. Do you think the managers would be just a little distracted from their resonsibilities prior to this big event?

The funny thing is not only does this happen in the NFL, but they ask and are granted the interviews by the team they are currently employed with. I know that Pete and John are doing what others in the league do but I bet if you asked them and all other head coaches, GM's and owners around the league, they probably don't want this to be allowed. I just don't get it.

Shock2k

Reaction score
I would like John Synder and Pete to immediately start taking interviews with OC and DC candidates, just to make the point.

In my business world, if an employee's starts interviewing other places and you want to keep them, you do your best to make an offer that works for both them and the company. If it doesn't, you let them go, and start looking for the "next man up."

Not even saying you don't give them the most glowing fantastic review possible, but once somebody's mind is on other things, it may be time to just let them walk. I would like some OC's/DC's that see the advantage of being on a legitimate yearly contender, under a head coach you have a lot to learn from before moving to a "bad" situation on another team before your ready to handle it.

Problem is I'm sure their representation tells them to strike while the iron is hot or you may not get the same opportunity again.

Look at all the Coaches that were under Bill Walsh, Marty Schottenhimer, Bill Parcels. You will find the elite of the coaching world. Give it some time. Coming in one year to the Hawks then leaving for Tennessee with yet another bad QB situation is silly. Stick around and wait for one of the big team jobs to come around. The Giants will be looking within the next 3 years.

Bevell, you are free to go, I get it, you want to go fix the Vikings.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
It would certainly be interesting if we were to suddenly interview the saints LB coach and OL coach for our potential openings however I believe the rules may be different in that we do not actually have the vacancies yet and the position is not HC.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
seabowl":2cajuqfk said:
onanygivensunday":2cajuqfk said:
Do some research.

NFL rules allow assistant coaches on playoff teams with a bye during the week leading to the wild card games to interview for potential head coaching jobs. Such is the case with Seattle's coordinators.

So, rules are in place and they were not broken in the cases of Bevell and Quinn.

Until the Hawks are eliminated, teams with head coaching vacancies are restricted from interviewing Bevell and Quinn... unless the team agrees to such interview(s).

You can argue with the rules... but there are rules and they have been followed to date.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
brimsalabim":1gmdbu69 said:
It would certainly be interesting if we were to suddenly interview the saints LB coach and OL coach for our potential openings however I believe the rules may be different in that we do not actually have the vacancies yet and the position is not HC.

Why the Saints? Are the Saints interviewing any of the Hawks coaches?

If someone requested to interview the coaches of their upcoming playoff opponents the team that was requested would obviously just say no (the team can say no to any interview request, they just don't do so in practice). Of course nobody would request to interview an upcoming playoffs opponent in the first place because playoff teams aren't firing their HCs and coordinators before playoff games anyway.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
seabowl":3iwpctub said:
Hawk_Nation":3iwpctub said:

I understand they interviewed during the bye week however it still is a distraction. Also, would you be somewhat upset if they interviewed next week for a position assuming we win this wee? I would. To you second point I too thought about them calling a good game this week to enhance their chances of being hired. I then thought the teams looking to hire will probably not judge the candidates on how their team does during the one week of the playoffs.

There is no RIGHT answer.

You of course want your coaches 100% focused on the playoff game, but on the other hand you can't deny them the opportunity to become a head coach. The team's that are looking for their next head coach don't want to wait until possibly after the SB to hire their next head coach.

IMO it's not that big of a deal. I don't see how Bevell or Quinn flying out to Cleveland for a half a day early in the bye week is going to affect their jobs here. Especially in 2014 with iPads and wifi, they can work, watch tape, scheme, etc. at the airport, during their flight, on the way to Brown's HQ, on their way back to the airport and all the way home on the flight.

mikeak

Reaction score
seabowl":3v184aop said:
onanygivensunday":3v184aop said:
Do some research.

Nope but they are not allowed to interview next week which was an example you used in your next post

We already have an extra week to rest players. We have additional time for coaches. We don't know our opponent - how much advantage should the team on a bye week have?

I think it is fine as it is happening for teams with a bye week only.

The people that should be complaining are assistant coaches on wildcard teams as they are not allowed to interview while competing coaches are allowed to interview which makes it less likely for them to get job offers......

The Radish

Reaction score
Aros":1gnofwit said:

It used to be that way but the coaches complained they missed out on job opportunities the other coaches in non playoff teams had. So they went to this method.

I also think it used to be teams couldn't recruit coaches until after the SuperB owl but that was a while ago.

:les:

mikeak

Reaction score
^ In addition it puts teams that need a new HC in a disadvantage against teams that have finished the season. So the teams that are in the worst position is in further disadvantage. That doesn't help the league at all. New coaches want to be on board as quickly as possible to review the players they have and scout for the draft

AgentDib

Reaction score
Any distraction caused by this is offset by the morale boost given to the rest of the coaching staff when Carroll demonstrates that he sees them as friends rather than assets. It is a good thing to have coordinators with HC aspirations and the drive to work towards their goals. Carroll truly believes that everybody should be focused on self improvement and complacency about staying in your current position forever is anathema to his philosophy.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
mikeak":1ro341pn said:
The people that should be complaining are assistant coaches on wildcard teams as they are not allowed to interview while competing coaches are allowed to interview which makes it less likely for them to get job offers......

There is some truth to this, but if the team wants that coach, they're going to wait until he's available. Look no further than both Gruden getting hired, and Zimmer being up for a few openings from the Bengals, who were a Wildcard weekend team.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
mikeak":28dr6rih said:
seabowl":28dr6rih said:
onanygivensunday":28dr6rih said:
Do some research.

Nope but they are not allowed to interview next week which was an example you used in your next post

We already have an extra week to rest players. We have additional time for coaches. We don't know our opponent - how much advantage should the team on a bye week have?

I think it is fine as it is happening for teams with a bye week only.

I was not aware of the rule that does not allow our coaches to interview next week. With this said I think making teams wait until the playoffs are done (moratorium) would be better served for the league and especially the teams in the playoffs.

SaintsFan1998

Reaction score
The rule used to forbid all interviews, but it was changed b/c it was seen as unfair to the best coordinators and their HC aspirations.