Consider in your mocks

BASF

Reaction score
the depth chart for the upcoming season. Defense is our main need talent wise and as you all make your mocks, you need to prioritize the holes we have on the defense considering who is under contract for the 2023 campaign:

DE: Shelby Harris (if we cut him will save us $9M)/ Quinten Jefferson (if we cut him we save $3.9M, whose play has been lackluster)

NT: Al Woods (who will be 37 and I would be surprised if he does not retire or we could cut him to save $3.7M)/ Bryan Mone

OLB: Darrell Taylor/ Uchenna Nwosu/ Boye Mafe/ Alton Robinson/ Tyreke Smith

ILB: Jordan Brooks

CB: Tariq Woolen/ Tre Brown/ Coby Bryant/ Isiah Dunn

S: Jamal Adams/ Quandre Diggs (who will save us $9.8M when we cut him)/ Joey Blunt

That is a ton of open roster spots, especially at inside linebacker. According to overthecap.com we only have under $35M in effective cap next season, which is why I highlighted the cap casualties and their savings. We are going to need to use the draft for at least two inside linebackers. We are going to need to use the draft for at least two defensive tackles. We are going to need to use the draft for at least one safety. We will have to bring in cheap free agents to fill out the other holes. People have brought up choosing Anderson, but the truth is he is not heavy enough to play DE in what we like to run and OLB is where we have our most signed players for next season.

TransGenderHawkFan

Reaction score
Where are you getting your 35 million cap number? OTC has us at roughly 53 million available for 2023. Curious as to where the 18 million dollar discrepancy is coming from?

Also, if the 35 million number is accurate, I would make every single one of those cuts that you mentioned which would place us around the 53 million rang again.

We do have a lot of roster spots to fill, bit we aren't looking too grim.

With that said, you can see from my mock that I went heavy defense anyway because that is our greatest need anyway. I also added a Center and Guard

OP
OP
BASF

BASF

Reaction score
Where are you getting your 35 million cap number? OTC has us at roughly 53 million available for 2023. Curious as to where the 18 million dollar discrepancy is coming from?

Also, if the 35 million number is accurate, I would make every single one of those cuts that you mentioned which would place us around the 53 million rang again.

We do have a lot of roster spots to fill, bit we aren't looking too grim.

With that said, you can see from my mock that I went heavy defense anyway because that is our greatest need anyway. I also added a Center and Guard
The eighteen million discrepency is based on the $53M available, but with twenty roster spots to fill since only thirty-three players are signed to contracts.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
I was assuming you were transposing 53 to get 35. With the increased cap for 2023 Hawks will be $53 million under the cap with 33 players under contract. This doesn’t include signing Smith and at least $10 million for draft picks

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
Every year NFL GMs are having to scramble to make the budget work some of them employing a “capalogist”

The most painful contract the Hawks have is Adams. At Sportrac.com it goes into more detail including breaking down how many and what players are counting against the dead cap and how much

Another team that I am following that will have interesting cap issues this off season is the Ravens with Jackson wanting the bag and trying to sign Roquan Smith and had slightly worse of an existing cap situation as the Hawks