Congrats to Jed York and Trent Baalke

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
After witnessing Michigan's third straight shut-out and return to prominence today, it was clear to see they weren't saying please or thank you when receiving punts. A Michigan defensive back also recklessly returned an interception for a touchdown without even asking if it was OK to do so.

This kind of ill-mannered winning has no place in football -- and Jed York and Trent Baalke should be applauded for eliminating it from the NFL. The 2015 version of the 49ers are a leading light in the league, rich in class. The generosity shown by Colin Kaepernick with those two early pick-six's against Arizona should be used as a teaching moment for all teams. Kaepernick didn't even offer any indication what was coming -- it was a pleasant surprise for the Cardinals defense. Like a surprise birthday party.

Jim Tomsula's unfortunate fart during a press conference is the only blemish on an otherwise successful season. The 49ers haven't offended anyone so far, while Michigan are playing an overly-aggressive, mean-spirited brand of winning football.

rlkats

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":ay5q6bim said:
After witnessing Michigan's third straight shut-out and return to prominence today, it was clear to see they weren't saying please or thank you when receiving punts. A Michigan defensive back also recklessly returned an interception for a touchdown without even asking if it was OK to do so.

This kind of ill-mannered winning has no place in football -- and Jed York and Trent Baalke should be applauded for eliminating it from the NFL. The 2015 version of the 49ers are a leading light in the league, rich in class. The generosity shown by Colin Kaepernick with those two early pick-six's against Arizona should be used as a teaching moment for all teams. Kaepernick didn't even offer any indication what was coming -- it was a pleasant surprise for the Cardinals defense. Like a surprise birthday party.

Jim Tomsula's unfortunate fart during a press conference is the only blemish on an otherwise successful season. The 49ers haven't offended anyone so far, while Michigan are playing an overly-aggressive, mean-spirited brand of winning football.

I feel this way right now. But your post is so true.

:229031_banghead:

KPA

Reaction score
When you have a winning /competitive program, sometimes you need to check your ego at the door. York & Baalke apparently could not do that.

drdiags

Reaction score
Wouldn't be the first HC that had to be shown who was boss. Didn't think it would happen with Jim at San Fran but not winning that Superbowl against the Ravens, then seeing the upstarts up north win one had to be the tipping point of deciding it was time to split up the band.

SF49r

Reaction score
Amen.
:th2thumbs: :th2thumbs: :th2thumbs: :th2thumbs:

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
But at least the players like Tomsula! They can hold hands and smile all the way to a 5-11 record!

Seriously though, didn't it raise any eyebrows in the locker room when all the veterans bailed?

rlkats

Reaction score
WindCityHawk":1akaqg6r said:
But at least the players like Tomsula! They can hold hands and smile all the way to a 5-11 record!

Seriously though, didn't it raise any eyebrows in the locker room when all the veterans bailed?

Im sure it did but you wont hear about it now. My niners are sure in a mess but hopefully it will soon get better

byau

Reaction score
rlkats":3fv9rk80 said:
WindCityHawk":3fv9rk80 said:

Im sure it did but you wont hear about it now. My niners are sure in a mess but hopefully it will soon get better

It was just one of those summers that you felt like that team hit a low, and then find out a few days later ... no, it could actually get worse.

I liked sport hating the 49ers a lot. Whereas I think I just plain hate York and Baalke. Sucks for anyone to have that done to their team

rideaducati

Reaction score
It was so much more fun hating the niners when their fans actually believed they had a franchise QB and that they had the deepest team in the league. Now they know what I've known all along and they're going to run that QB and their GM out of town and they might end up with competent replacements which will bring their fans back...yuck.

mikeak

Reaction score
rlkats":2fuvr2uf said:
WindCityHawk":2fuvr2uf said:

Better draft position is coming up!

So there is that

rideaducati

Reaction score
mikeak":19beedh8 said:
rlkats":19beedh8 said:
WindCityHawk":19beedh8 said:

Better draft position is coming up!

So there is that

But then Baalke makes the picks...

rlkats

Reaction score
Ya im not jumping for joy that Balke is still around.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Just wait until Michigan wins the Big Ten and finds themselves in the playoff as the Niners begin to debate Bosa or Goff in the draft.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":5jk0i5fd said:
Just wait until Michigan wins the Big Ten and finds themselves in the playoff as the Niners begin to debate Bosa or Goff in the draft.

Bosa or Goff? Did they go down with ACL injuries? If not, they won't be niners.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
rideaducati":2mftrj3h said:
Hasselbeck":2mftrj3h said:

Bosa or Goff? Did they go down with ACL injuries? If not, they won't be niners.

You're right, my bad, gave Baalruskell too much credit.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":18slcy66 said:

I don't think Michigan playing well does or should surprise anyone. Harbaugh has yet to go anywhere and not turn a ship around. The question is what's happening three or four years from now, and if he's Bill Parcells, or someone who can actually function in an organization for more than a few years, which he hasn't done yet.

Heck, maybe he can, but we'll have to wait find out. And if his career is like Parcells and he just goes around righting ships, that doesn't take anything away from him either. It's an incredibly special and unique skill set. If he can stay somewhere I think he's incredibly smart to stay at the college level, as there's enough player turnover to keep things at least a little fresh (although he'll likely always have the Sherman's and Baldwins on his team too).

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Popeyejones":22q9mnlo said:
Hasselbeck":22q9mnlo said:

I don't think Michigan playing well does or should surprise anyone. Harbaugh has yet to go anywhere and not turn a ship around. The question is what's happening three or four years from now, and if he's Bill Parcells, or someone who can actually function in an organization for more than a few years, which he hasn't done yet.

Heck, maybe he can, but we'll have to wait find out. And if his career is like Parcells and he just goes around righting ships, that doesn't take anything away from him either. It's an incredibly special and unique skill set. If he can stay somewhere I think he's incredibly smart to stay at the college level, as there's enough player turnover to keep things at least a little fresh (although he'll likely always have the Sherman's and Baldwins on his team too).
True, and it was a point that myself and others brought up during Harby's run with the Niners, only to be told by vocal Niner fans (I'm not claiming you did btw) that is was going to be different "this time".

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2m3hsckl said:
True, and it was a point that myself and others brought up during Harby's run with the Niners, only to be told by vocal Niner fans (I'm not claiming you did btw) that is was going to be different "this time".

Yeah, in his first three years I think 9ers fans could at least tell themselves the story that Harbaugh going from USD to Stanford when he had the opportunity made sense, and that him going from Stanford to the NFL when he had the opportunity made sense.

They could explain away USD and Stanford not even bothering to try to retain him as the result of it being pointless because he was moving "up," rather than potentially a sign of something else going on.

FWIW I think given his history and Schembecler obsession it's more likely he actually stays at Michigan than anywere else he's been, but it's really the stories from Stanford rather than the stories from the 9ers that make me think he might just be a short term guy for the rest of his career. If he can't make it work for more than a few seasons at Michigan, it's just never gonna happen anywhere.

The other thing is that although a psychopath, it's not like he's a dumb guy, and it's possible he ends up staying at Michigan because he actually changes a little bit. Despite being a total psycho, he does show the ability to be self-aware. The most telling quote I've ever heard from Harbaugh was when a reporter asked him about his history of bouncing around after the 9ers canned him, and he didn't dispute it, and acknowledged that wherever he's been after a few years folks have grown tired of him. At least being self-aware enough to recognize that means he has the POTENTIAL to not keep on repeating himself, although who knows if he does or not.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1a9dkbwf said:
Sports Hernia":1a9dkbwf said:

Yeah, in his first three years I think 9ers fans could at least tell themselves the story that Harbaugh going from USD to Stanford when he had the opportunity made sense, and that him going from Stanford to the NFL when he had the opportunity made sense.

They could explain away USD and Stanford not even bothering to try to retain him as the result of it being pointless because he was moving "up," rather than potentially a sign of something else going on.

FWIW I think given his history and Schembecler obsession it's more likely he actually stays at Michigan than anywere else he's been, but it's really the stories from Stanford rather than the stories from the 9ers that make me think he might just be a short term guy for the rest of his career. If he can't make it work for more than a few seasons at Michigan, it's just never gonna happen anywhere.

The other thing is that although a psychopath, it's not like he's a dumb guy, and it's possible he ends up staying at Michigan because he actually changes a little bit. Despite being a total psycho, he does show the ability to be self-aware. The most telling quote I've ever heard from Harbaugh was when a reporter asked him about his history of bouncing around after the 9ers canned him, and he didn't dispute it, and acknowledged that wherever he's been after a few years folks have grown tired of him. At least being self-aware enough to recognize that means he has the POTENTIAL to not keep on repeating himself, although who knows if he does or not.
I agree with most of what you posted, and I really agree that Harbaugh isn't dumb, you don't have that track record of success by being dumb. It's his abrasive personality and ego at times that "gets in the way".