Time to hold Jed York accountable. Approved Writers List?

RationalNiner

Reaction score
marvin why do you always feel the need to the defend the team on a seahawks forum even when you are wrong. does your wellbeing depend that much on a team you root for. jesus go play catch with your dog or something

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Marvin49":271e3csi said:
dontbelikethat":271e3csi said:
Gotta give credit to Kawakami for being right about the implosion all along. Dude was first one to call it, gotta give him his props for that reporting.

Wow. Impressive. If I tell you 10 times between noon and 9PM that its gonna get dark, does that make me a master prognosticator?

If you predict doom and gloom non-stop, you are eventually bound to be right and everyone forgets all the times you were wrong.

That's Kawakami.
He was right about the how and the why.

You may hate him, but he was 100% spot on about the details.

NINEster

Reaction score
hawknation2015":1ngqsmzq said:
Marvin49":1ngqsmzq said:
DavidSeven":1ngqsmzq said:
One thing I want to follow closely is whether or not the SF media/fans will acknowledge Roman's success as a playcaller with Buffalo (assuming he continues to do well). I find it fascinating that the Bay Area outcry for Harbaugh to fire Greg Roman and Harbaugh's refusal to do so seemed to create a lot of the tension that led to this whole disaster.

...and now Roman is looking like an early genius in Buffalo with a first-year starter (still early, obviously), and Kap looks worse than he's ever looked. Harbs and Roman have to feel some sense of vindication, but not sure certain SF fans/writers should feel the same way since they were against them on this pretty crucial point.

Romans success doesn't surprise me at all.

He's an OUTSTANDING RUN game coordinator, but he isn't the Passing Game coordinator. If the Niners could have kept him just to call running plays, I'd have thought it was a great idea.

He certainly made Kaepernick look a look a lot better than he really is.

One day we might be saying the same thing about Bevell and you know who.

Roman was good with the run. If they got a legit passing game coordinator, and found a way to integrate the two in play calling all would have been well probably.

Marvin49

Reaction score
RationalNiner":105px1wm said:
marvin why do you always feel the need to the defend the team on a seahawks forum even when you are wrong. does your wellbeing depend that much on a team you root for. jesus go play catch with your dog or something

Why do you care? I enjoy talking football with opposing fans. You appear only to enjoy trolling fellow niner fans.

Gratz.

NINEster

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2xxoprkl said:
hawknation2015":2xxoprkl said:
Now it’s just about money. Tomsula came cheap. They promoted two yes-men to the coordinator positions (Mangenius — LOLOL). They had enough cap room to sign Evan Mathis, but NO. They decided to trade for a Patriots reject in Jordan Devey instead.

BASG isn't a reporter, but he tends to be pretty good (you should be careful though, because he also tends to write about how idiotic Grant Cohn and Tim Kawakami are).

In any case though, I tend to give him the benefit of the doubt, but disagree with him on these points.

It's pretty well known that they intended to go with Gase, and then backed out at the very last second because he wanted to retain Fangio as the d-coordinator (the 9ers wanted a clean break) or to get Vance Joseph (the Bengals wouldn't let him interview). Things devolved from there and and Gase and Fangio ended up as the two coordinators in Chicago.

As for the two coordinators, that was ultimately a ripple effect of the Gase thing, as one of the major problems with the Tomsula hiring (as both Marvin and I have already explained) is he doesn't have a network of coaches to draw from. After drifting around in the wind the 9ers were forced to promote internally, and try to round out the coaching staff with a bunch of guys with previous HC and coordinator experience.

As for the Mathis thing, like the rest of the league, they were just never going to give a 34 year old guard big money. It's why he sat around forever.

The 9ers are clearly in shambles right now, but that it's about money is a really shallow analysis, IMO. (it's about having a HC who couldn't attract coordinator talent, a whole slew of pro-bowlers being lost to injury/retirement and arrest, and the natural progression of dealing with the salary cap and having their depth sucked away through overpriced FA contracts over the last few years)

I agree.

Kawakami might have been right overall, but the idea of "being cheap" (which I've heard some Niner fans refer to as well) seems idiotic to me.

Really, cheap? LMAO.

I could see it if it meant the difference between paying a coach $80 million versus $2 million, but we all know the difference is pocket change for an owner.

Even the "yes man" stuff I read seems silly too. If York is anything like his Uncle, then winning trumps everything, which includes employing a guy who may have the balls to stand up to you if he knows better (someone like Bill Walsh for instance).

Now if Harbaugh crossed a certain line, then hey I'm not one to debate that with the lack of information on the topic.

Let's face it..........this crap is on all three of these guys......York, Baalke, and Harbaugh (and maybe even others like Parag Marathe). There had to be some slack York could have cut Harbaugh if he really was a d****, and Baalke at the very least should have tried to play mediator and fix it.

If Harbaugh was the ultimate POS doing things comparable to sleeping with York's wife then I can understand having an unconditional hatred for the guy.

Only issue though is that if this was known so far in advance they should have done a better job planning the regime change.

BTW Marvin, it's a good idea to not battle Kawakami so aggressively. Even a broken clock is right twice a day, and to deny that would not be ideal. Our fellow 12s here want nothing more than to see us agree with Kawakami just once. :mrgreen:

NINEster

Reaction score
Just thinking about York vs. Debartolo........

Both were/are YOUNG in their Niner tenure.......more or less the same age, early to late 30s.

Big difference from what I can see is that Eddie was a better people person than his nephew. I have no doubts he would have been able to deal with Harbaugh man to man, even if we were talking about a 35 year old Debartolo as opposed to him in his late 60s now.

Eddie admitted to being hard on Walsh but at the same time acknowledged this being on him because of his intense passion for winning (hatred of losing a better description maybe). You can see a human element to Eddie D that his nephew lacks.

It does seem like York has a bit of entitled hubris without the credentials.

The whole thing is disappointing because from 2009 to 2014, York was anything but good to the team compared to his parents.

Unreal.

greenblue_eye's2

Reaction score
chris98251":sukopbar said:
When do they start screaming for Eddie D to take over THE S.S. Minnow.......................

First and foremost.....No Shade Marvin, no shade...
The Fan Base of the 49ers have been there, and done that Chris, begging for Eddie to come back. The York Family Ownership, with the principal owner being Denise DeBartolo York, Jeb's Mother, ain't going nowhere. Especially true since Levi's has been built, & with the PSL's, the Yorks are making money hand over fist. I believe this is the most frustrating thing for the Fan Base of the 49ers now, the Yorks being the owners. Then you add in the fact they they have no real football people on the premises, wise men to advise ownership, like Ed DeBartolo had with Carmen Policy, and Bill Walsh. Jed York, and Trent Baalke are the sole wise men in the building, running the show at 49ers Headquarters, now everyone is seeing the results of their handy work. Weak leadership abounds for this historic Franchise, for years to come, as long as the Yorks are in charge of the 49ers. And it really sad, because the Niners, & Seahawks had such a great rivalry. :|

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Marvin49":1dah4mm0 said:
dontbelikethat":1dah4mm0 said:
Gotta give credit to Kawakami for being right about the implosion all along. Dude was first one to call it, gotta give him his props for that reporting.

Wow. Impressive. If I tell you 10 times between noon and 9PM that its gonna get dark, does that make me a master prognosticator?

If you predict doom and gloom non-stop, you are eventually bound to be right and everyone forgets all the times you were wrong.

That's Kawakami.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Classic Marvin.

Send the angst to Tim Kawakami, not the dumbo's destroying your football team.

Keep on trucking, Marvin.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
dontbelikethat":9qh4i11q said:
Popeyejones":9qh4i11q said:
LOL WHUT?

Your guys' hard-on for Kawakami is so bizzare.

You're talking the same Kawkami who two weeks ago declared that the 9ers defense is still really good and they'll win on the back of their defense? That Kawakami?

Or maybe the Kawakami who made this bold prediction after the 9ers got blown out by the Steelers:

It could go in any direction -- good, terrible, mediocre, whatever; it's all up in the air, maybe for the first time in about five years.

So is the problem with genuflecting to a clown.

Thing is though, his early reports were getting dismissed by many 49er fans (as every fanbase probably would), but dude stuck to his guns and it pretty much came out to be true. That's all I'm saying. He was right about his reporting with the downfall of the front office of the 49ers. I give him credit for putting out that info.

If you read the above quotes he didn't "stick to his guns" nor does he ever. It's the problem with only reading Kawakami selectively. This is the same game who said before last season that Harbaugh and Baalke had repaired their relationship and that the 9ers were going to win the NFC West. :lol:

I think what's important, and what people keep on ignoring, is that Kawakami isn't a reporter. He's a columnist. He's not paid to report things, he's paid to say stuff.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
NINEster":nrlrttoe said:
the idea of "being cheap" (which I've heard some Niner fans refer to as well) seems idiotic to me.

Really, cheap? LMAO.

Yep. There's no shortage of problems with Jed York, but the problem being that he's "cheap" is just incredibly lazy and stupid.

IN DESCENDING ORDER, THE PROBLEMS WITH YORK ARE:

1) He's simply young and out of his depth. He's reactionary, and (at least yet) doesn't have the temperament to be a team owner.

2) He's a Silicon Valley brat, and has bought into valley culture way too deeply. You can see all the "CEO-as-charismatic leader" BS and "disruption" ethos in many of the things he does.

3) Put those two things together, and he's a total schmuck. He's Mark Cuban without the success.

chris98251

Reaction score
Popeyejones":l5abr02l said:
NINEster":l5abr02l said:
the idea of "being cheap" (which I've heard some Niner fans refer to as well) seems idiotic to me.

Really, cheap? LMAO.

Yep. There's no shortage of problems with Jed York, but the problem being that he's "cheap" is just incredibly lazy and stupid.

IN DESCENDING ORDER, THE PROBLEMS WITH YORK ARE:

1) He's simply young and out of his depth. He's reactionary, and (at least yet) doesn't have the temperament to be a team owner.

2) He's a Silicon Valley brat, and has bought into valley culture way too deeply. You can see all the "CEO-as-charismatic leader" BS and "disruption" ethos in many of the things he does.

3) Put those two things together, and he's a total schmuck. He's Mark Cuban without the success.

Except Marks teams love him, he also earned his billions, much easier to garner respect when you walked the walk and talk versus here's the keys son, go drive our team to a Championship as the York drives around with the bling but no idea what it takes to get a ring.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
chris98251":2uutjt73 said:
Except Marks teams love him, he also earned his billions, much easier to garner respect when you walked the walk and talk versus here's the keys son, go drive our team to a Championship as the York drives around with the bling but no idea what it takes to get a ring.

Nonsense. If under Cuban the Mavs were bad he'd be Dan Snyder.

The "made his own money" thing is a total herring. It's just about winning.

Al Davis made his own money and was one of the best owners in the league (as a guy who made his own money) until he drove his team into the ground and was one of the worst owners in the league (as a guy who made his own money. It's the same story with Jerry Jones, who's now back again as a "good owner" after first being a "good owner" and then a "bad owner" not because of how he made his money changing, but because of the Cowboys' success changing back and forth over time.

If it's true where are all the people saying that Dan and Art Rooney Jr. are awful owners because they inherited their team, or that Bill Bidwell is an awful owner because he inherited his team or that Shahid Khan is a great owner because he made his own money?

I mean, Jimmy Haslam made his own money and he's gotta be the worst owner in the NFL.

It's just balderdash.

chris98251

Reaction score
Made his own money refers to learning and knowing how a business works and how you have to work with, use, manipulate and control all in a balance to be successful.

Jed York has not had that kind of experience, everyone you mentioned has, good or bad, if they know how to do it and set their ego aside and use the knowledge they have gleened they are successful. Snyder never got past his ego, Cuban trusted Basketball people and provided the best environment a player could want as well as backed them all up.

Seems I touched a nerve here, feeling a bit chaffed lately?

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1queeuq6 said:
Nonsense. If under Cuban the Mavs were bad he'd be Dan Snyder.

The "made his own money" thing is a total herring. It's just about winning.

Al Davis made his own money and was one of the best owners in the league (as a guy who made his own money) until he drove his team into the ground and was one of the worst owners in the league (as a guy who made his own money. It's the same story with Jerry Jones, who's now back again as a "good owner" after first being a "good owner" and then a "bad owner" not because of how he made his money changing, but because of the Cowboys' success changing back and forth over time.

If it's true where are all the people saying that Dan and Art Rooney Jr. are awful owners because they inherited their team, or that Bill Bidwell is an awful owner because he inherited his team or that Shahid Khan is a great owner because he made his own money?

I mean, Jimmy Haslam made his own money and he's gotta be the worst owner in the NFL.

It's just balderdash.

Being handed the position of owner, rather than having a proven track record of business acumen and experience, is absolutely something that must be overcome.

Those with that business acumen and experience may have other things to overcome:

(1) Lack of any knowledge of the game (CHECK- Jed never played the game in HS)

(2) Hubris (CHECK - Jed insisted that a Super Bowl championship was his only barometer)

(3) Unethical (CHECK - Jed lied about having not fired Harbaugh and waited until the fans were locked into SBLs to do so)

(4) Poor Judgment (CHECK - Jed elevated a simpleminded defensive line coach, with no experience in a coordinator role, to the position of head coach)

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Jed York is an absolute clown shoes.

Haslam the worst owner in the league? Why? For carrying on the well-earned reputation in Cleveland for terrible football?

Jed had a winner. An elite contender. And he made an absolute dogs dinner of it.

Now look what he's left with.

Embarrassing. Out of his depth.

253hawk

Reaction score
He's like the west coast version of Dan Snyder. Just an all-around incompetent sleazeball.

SANTA CLARA -- After the San Francisco 49ers rallied support for their new stadium by promising to pay for new youth soccer fields, the NFL team isn't following through with its part of the deal -- and taxpayers will be left footing the multimillion dollar bill.

Jed York, owner of the 49ers, told the soccer league in a letter two years ago that the team would fund replacement fields. But the team's front office shocked the soccer league last week by telling them the Niners had abandoned those plans.

http://www.mercurynews.com/southbayfoot ... heated-new

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Jed York sorta reminds me of Kim Jong Un on the Googlebus out of the city.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
chris98251":1wbcch1l said:
Seems I touched a nerve here, feeling a bit chaffed lately?

Nah, I'm feeling good. :lol:

The nerve you've touched, and really my only nerve that gets touched (and I've said this before) is a dislike for bad arguments.

If I wasn't criticizing Jed in this thread that would be something else entirely.

Bad arguments just get on my nerves. :lol:

Made his own money refers to learning and knowing how a business works and how you have to work with, use, manipulate and control all in a balance to be successful.

As an example, that's absolutely not what "made his own money" means. You're subsituting "successful business leader" with "made his own money." The point was that some of the best owners (i.e. "successful business leaders) in the NFL inherited their team (the Rooneys) and some didn't (Kraft), whereas some of the worst owners (i.e. "bad business owners") also made their own money (Haslam) or inherited their team (Virginia McKasky).

Again, I'm not saying Jed York is a good owner (I've said he isn't upthread), I'm merely saying that arguing that he's a bad owner because he grew up through the organization is simply a bad argument

Jed York has not had that kind of experience, everyone you mentioned has, good or bad, if they know how to do it and set their ego aside and use the knowledge they have gleened they are successful. Snyder never got past his ego, Cuban trusted Basketball people and provided the best environment a player could want as well as backed them all up.

Cuban got past his ego? :lol:

Nonsense, he's just successful.

The "trusted basketball people" is also a herring, as Jerry Jones is a successful owner and is famous for not trusting football people, and if you want to criticize Jed for something, it's for lacking leadership and trusting football people (Baalke and Marathe) too much.

Another bad argument:

hawknation2015":1wbcch1l said:
Jed never played the game in HS

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I mean seriously, if you care at all about the difference between good arguments and bad arguments, this has got to drive you wild. I guess Paul Allen is a bad owner because as a teenager he was too busy nerding out with a freshman learning how to code on a teletype after school. What a schlub. :lol:

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
253hawk":37zajmgw said:
He's like the west coast version of Dan Snyder. Just an all-around incompetent sleazeball.

SANTA CLARA -- After the San Francisco 49ers rallied support for their new stadium by promising to pay for new youth soccer fields, the NFL team isn't following through with its part of the deal -- and taxpayers will be left footing the multimillion dollar bill.

Jed York, owner of the 49ers, told the soccer league in a letter two years ago that the team would fund replacement fields. But the team's front office shocked the soccer league last week by telling them the Niners had abandoned those plans.

http://www.mercurynews.com/southbayfoot ... heated-new
Total class. :sarcasm_off:

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Ugly all around (as is always the case with the public financing of private football stadiums; not the first or last time I'll criticize any and all municipalities that do it and teams that demand it), but the context of what's going on isn't really included in that piece.

Basically the original plan was for the the 9ers to build soccer fields as part of the stadium package.

Then, as got reposted here awhile back, the soccer league didn't want to give up their field next to the stadium in exchange for having fields built. The 9ers were still offering 2.5 million to build new fields (and found locations for them), but the soccer league believed they were promised fields regardless of if they gave up the field next to the stadium site, whereas as the 9ers believed that they were building multiple fields in exchange for the field by the stadium.

Since then those other sites have been repurposed, and the 9ers have backed down saying that the league doesn't have to give up the field by the stadium, but just has to give the stadium usage of it 20 days a year.

The league said no dice on that one too, and demanded the 2.5 million for their additional fields, to which the 9ers said no deal.

Basically this is just brinksmanship. What will end up happening IMO is the league will give up that field 20 day a year and the 9ers will spend the 2.5 million on new fields. These last developments (not giving the 20 days, and pulling back the 2.5 million) have just been chess moves.

More broadly, IMO this is part of the bigger problem of publicly financing stadiums. The soccer league is motivated not by the field, but by a signficant portion of of S.C. residents rightly not liking that S.C. contributed to the cost of building Levi's. The soccer field is just a stand-in for that.

TL;DR This is all negotiating silliness. Unless wild insanity ultimately prevails the soccer league will grant the 9ers access to the fied for 20 days a year and the 9ers will put a few million into building new fields.

Latest posts