Coming out of week 1

HawkStrong

Reaction score
Trust me if the shoe was on the other foot, that's all we would be hearing.

There was even a thread about it. Yet here we are with people overreacting to one game.

Overreacting, or just not reacting the way you want people to react? Let people have their fun, you don't need to be a wet blanket in every thread. There is absolutely no harm that can be done by fans be overly celebratory, especially within the context of that win.

Like, we get it...you don't think the Hawks are very good this season. Thanks for your contribution and observation.

Rainger

Reaction score
Hell, if he left more of the in-game management up to competent coordinators I probably wouldn't have much of a problem with him as head coach either.
Please provide me with the concrete evidence that most of the time he doesn't do that.

Pete will always fall on the sword for his staff and players, like he did for years over RW,s failings.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
Please provide me with the concrete evidence that most of the time he doesn't do that.

Pete will always fall on the sword for his staff and players, like he did for years over RW,s failings.
You disagree with me fine, but I am not going to spend time going back over the last 7 years to find you examples of things that in my opinion have been fairly obvious.

GemCity

Reaction score
Trust me if the shoe was on the other foot, that's all we would be hearing.

There was even a thread about it. Yet here we are with people overreacting to one game.
Major overreaction. The win was FABULOUS but by all accounts, we didn’t win that. Denver lost.

The goal line turnovers. The FG attempt.

Seattle’s offensive efficiency (lack thereof) in the 2nd half.

These same folks are saying Russ sucked. I suppose if we add in the indecisiveness, which isn” absolute, there’s an argument.

He still threw for 340 yards…I hope Geno sucks like that in the future.

Again…loved the redemption and putting Russ on his ass. This game meant the world to the Hawks.

But….

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
Major overreaction. The win was FABULOUS but by all accounts, we didn’t win that. Denver lost.

These same folks are saying Russ sucked. I suppose if we add in the indecisiveness, which isn” absolute, there’s an argument.

Again…loved the redemption and putting Russ on his ass. This game meant the world to the Hawks.

But….
Until the league starts awarded points for passing yards, they don't mean sh!t outside of FF. Look at his chart for the game. There's a lot of dots within a couple yards of the LOS. lots of yards creditable to the person catching the ball combined with bad tackles. I don't think you'll find anyone credible with knowledge of breaking down the position that will give that game a grade above average

GemCity

Reaction score
Until the league starts awarded points for passing yards, they don't mean sh!t outside of FF. Look at his chart for the game. There's a lot of dots within a couple yards of the LOS. lots of yards creditable to the person catching the ball combined with bad tackles. I don't think you'll find anyone credible with knowledge of breaking down the position that will give that game a grade above average
Maybe so. And if that was above average, I hope Geno can do that during this season.

I’m not saying Russ had a better game. But I don’t believe Geno’s performance in the first half is sustainable. Hell, whether it was playcalling or whatever, we didn’t see it in the 2nd half.

It was a great win….regardless. I’d take 16 more just like it.

But what I said is true.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
Maybe so. And if that was above average, I hope Geno can do that during this season.

I’m not saying Russ had a better game. But I don’t believe Geno’s performance in the first half is sustainable. Hell, whether it was playcalling or whatever, we didn’t see it in the 2nd half.

It was a great win….regardless. I’d take 16 more just like it.

But what I said is true.
2nd half he was fine. The real issue was only 3 drives. DK fumble, Penny run called back, Geno sack. The only thing Geno was at fault for was the sacks and probably being more cautious in the 2nd half. With only 3 possessions things have to be virtually perfect to produce many points.

That very well could be his ceiling Monday night. If so, it's fine for this season. I don't expect him to really melt down often unless our OL breaks down all day. He probably brings less variance than Russell, but probably less top end potential. Or maybe not. We'll find out. I expect Geno to have higher floor (less really bad/negative yardage plays) and less explosive plays than Russell would've.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
If they are going 5-12 regardless, why did you start a thread worried about them being overconfident this week?

Nervous that might lead them to be 4-13 instead?
He and Twisted are throwing anything they can think of to re-fuel the fire Pete train up get it back on the track. That's the only reason they're here. They went all in on it the last 2 years and thought it was in the bag. They're too deep in to lay it down now.

Ignore them.

BASF

Reaction score
A few things regarding this thread:

The first thing that popped in my head was the 2003 Bills/Patriots game where the Bills fans were rabid after a 31-0 drubbing of the team almost everyone chose to win their division. It was an emotional game and the teams went in completely different directions after that with the Pats winning the Super Bowl and the Bills finishing with just six wins.

Bringing up Wilson's 340 yards like it was some tremendous accomplishment is weird when more than 200 of them (I haven't actually gone through to get the accurate number) were on run after the catch.

The issues with clock management and being undisciplined were obviously a big Wilson issue. He tries his absolute best to read the defense pre-snap which apparently takes him until the clock expires. The fact is that he can't see over the linemen so he is trying to compensate to see if the defense will tip what they are doing. While he is trying to read the defense the linemen get jumpy for the penalties. They were also holding (many not called) more than they apparently did last year. Maybe the linemen are worried about Wilson throwing them under the bus as he has in the past to make himself look better.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
A few things regarding this thread:

The first thing that popped in my head was the 2003 Bills/Patriots game where the Bills fans were rabid after a 31-0 drubbing of the team almost everyone chose to win their division. It was an emotional game and the teams went in completely different directions after that with the Pats winning the Super Bowl and the Bills finishing with just six wins.

Bringing up Wilson's 340 yards like it was some tremendous accomplishment is weird when more than 200 of them (I haven't actually gone through to get the accurate number) were on run after the catch.

The issues with clock management and being undisciplined were obviously a big Wilson issue. He tries his absolute best to read the defense pre-snap which apparently takes him until the clock expires. The fact is that he can't see over the linemen so he is trying to compensate to see if the defense will tip what they are doing. While he is trying to read the defense the linemen get jumpy for the penalties. They were also holding (many not called) more than they apparently did last year. Maybe the linemen are worried about Wilson throwing them under the bus as he has in the past to make himself look better.
I think most of the "rabid" energy of this win comes from two places:

1. It was against Russ
2. It came after the most negative off season in a long time, so it felt satisfying to have something positive to enjoy

I think most hawk fans realize this is going to be a bumpy season at times, but there were enough good things in week 1 to give a spark of optimism too, which is nice after the heavy summer

Lagartixa

Reaction score
If they are going 5-12 regardless, why did you start a thread worried about them being overconfident this week?

Nervous that might lead them to be 4-13 instead?
Looking for ANYTHING to say after the team he told us was so well-run, with such a better coach than the Seahawks, and with such an all-time great QB, got beaten by the team he's told us is so mismanaged, and with a cast-off backup starting at QB. What CAN an idiot like that do, other than grumble that the Seahawks got lucky and warn that they and we are putting too much into our celebration of a great win?
We're Seahawks fans. He's a fan of an overrated and overpaid, self-aggrandizing quarterback. Of course we're not going to see things the same way.

I really don't care how many games the team wins for the rest of the season. Seeing the Seahawks beat the saboteur's new team and show a lot of promise for the future while doing it made watching the game completely worthwhile. Seeing Wilson show his yellow streak on the final 4th and 5 was delicious icing on the Seahawks-victory cake! And how nice it is that it's the still-loathed Broncos who now have their head coach thrown under the bus for Wilson's failure to live up to his contract, rather than our team's. Just a great, great result all around.

Rock_the_Hawk

Reaction score

But….
But what.. just gotvto keep things
49ers have a potent running game, we have questionable run defense.
49ers have good DL, our OL still young and inexperienced.

This week's match may be a battle of fat boys in the trenches, but we have KW3 back, so we could potentially run more to give Geno some help.
They had a questionable run D vs Denver. Im curious how they scheme up vs the Niners. Clearly this game is going to be won or lost in the trenches. Clearly which ever team is able to control the tempo of the game is going to walk out with the W. Its a chess match between shannahan and Carroll.. but as always a big play on special teams could make a big difference i just keep remembering its about all phazes of the game playing well... its an interesting match up for sure