coach Fisher Troll Game on One Hunnid!

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Yeh, this is pretty hilarious. Who cares about being classy when we're talking about the Redskins? Love it when HC's go douchemode.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1rlpgw9r said:
2 things. Fisher is the de facto GM of the Rams, so this leg humping move is both hilarious and telling. I wonder if at some time in the past Fisher was a possible hire for Snyder?
and it only confirms that last year when they visited the Clink he instructed his guys to play cheap ass manufactured toughness football. Fisher gets into the ego part of the game way too much. Not a great trait in a guy who is on the competition committee.

100%. And the only reason I (sorta') dread playing his team to conclude this '14 campaign. The guy is straight from the school of if you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullsh*t. Watching his antics yesterday, I tried to put myself in his shoes. I asked myself what possibly could have went down between the Rams and Skins that forced Fish to rub Washington's nose in the deal. Did the negotiations get so heated that the 2 teams became bitter enemies? I can certainly understand the Skins feeling this way...but the Rams, beneficiaries of perhaps the worst trade in football history? Sometimes it just is what it is....Fish is a punk. Worse, playing a team with absolutely zero to lose, Fish could have actually endangered his own players with such an adolescent act.

I hate to be a killjoy, but I found nothing humorous or admirable in or about his actions. Players are asked to conduct themselves with class and respect for other players, but then a guy on the rules committee pulls a stunt like this? Hell, he could have started a riot. Things happen. IF Goodell, I'd fine his ass 100k, whether he broke any rules or not. When has that ever stopped the commish?

I so wish we were in control of the NFC. I'd pull my starters before the 2nd quarter.

getnasty

Reaction score
volsunghawk":33vw8a6b said:
getnasty":33vw8a6b said:
Someone needs to tell Fisher he got all those picks and he's still 8-8 without a QB. Quit worrying about the Redskins and do something with your own team douche.

I think he has done something with his team. He may not have a franchise QB, but he's beaten the Hawks, the Broncos, and the 49ers this season and just shut out two teams in back to back games.

All without a QB.

I'm not a Fisher fan, but you can't deny that he's got his team heading in the right direction. And once they get out from under Bradford's contract, they could be a serious threat if they find that franchise QB.

Ever year its the same thing with the Rams, they win a few games and everybody thinks there gonna be a force the following year. At the end of the day Fisher is mediocre and the Rams are mediocre. If doing something with a team is winning 6 to 8 games the the Hawks were very productive in the 90's.

kearly

Reaction score
And once they get out from under Bradford's contract, they could be a serious threat if they find that franchise QB.

Not picking on you Volsung, but this is what people say every single year. And it drives me crazy.

I've never bought into Fisher as anything other than the NFL's most effective pain in the ass. Let's be real, the Rams have had an abundance of opportunity to draft a QB. The fact that they viewed Bradford as the guy for all those years is incredibly damning of their scouting ability, or at best, it's a sign they suffer from the kind of sunk-cost mentality that Carroll has proven to be against time and again (Harvin to Jets, Housh, Lendale White, etc). The Rams have done a very poor job scouting pretty much every other area on offense as well, it's not just at QB where that FO and coaching staff have struggled.

Even when they have drafted good players, it's all randomly thrown together without a master plan, much like the way Tim Ruskell built a team and how his assistants that moved to Tennessee built a team there. One example: Tavon Austin is roughly on par with Brandin Cooks and Odell Beckham in terms of talent, but the Rams have no idea how to utilize him.

The Rams DL is their bright spot personnel wise. But their defense as a whole is insanely inconsistent. On offense, they are the Tennesee Titans of the NFC. The Rams really are who their record says they are.

I think what's really damning of Fisher is that Bruce Arians walked onto a less talented team and had them win games IMMEDIATELY. Even with Drew Stanton, the worst starting QB in the NFL, IMO, the Cardinals are still winning games. Even with a barrage of injuries and IR's to their best players. Is anybody making excuses for Arians? No, because Arians is an elite coach. Fisher is just an average one who's elite at game management and finds ways to get wins against good teams occasionally.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Fisher is the best special teams coach in the NFL. Highest paid too.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Fisher is the NFC's version of John Fox, just a guy that's been around so long that he's friends with everybody, so when there's a franchise that wants a coach that won't make waves or ask for too much he's your guy.

There are 10 coaches in the NFL that would have already been in the playoffs with the talent the Rams have accumulated.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":8e56j6cb said:
Fisher is the NFC's version of John Fox, just a guy that's been around so long that he's friends with everybody, so when there's a franchise that wants a coach that won't make waves or ask for too much he's your guy.

There are 10 coaches in the NFL that would have already been in the playoffs with the talent the Rams have accumulated.
And 3 of those coaches are in the NFC West, which is why Fisher can't get over the hump.

hawk35fan

Reaction score
Couple years back on his way out the door in Tennessee, he trolled his team and fans by wearing a Manning jersey and proclaiming he wanted to see what it felt like to be a winner. I guess when playoffs are always nearly out of the question he can console himself with some good old-fashioned trolling.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
kearly":1cnetjyg said:
And once they get out from under Bradford's contract, they could be a serious threat if they find that franchise QB.

Not picking on you Volsung, but this is what people say every single year. And it drives me crazy.

I've never bought into Fisher as anything other than the NFL's most effective pain in the ass. Let's be real, the Rams have had an abundance of opportunity to draft a QB. The fact that they viewed Bradford as the guy for all those years is incredibly damning of their scouting ability, or at best, it's a sign they suffer from the kind of sunk-cost mentality that Carroll has proven to be against time and again (Harvin to Jets, Housh, Lendale White, etc). The Rams have done a very poor job scouting pretty much every other area on offense as well, it's not just at QB where that FO and coaching staff have struggled.

Even when they have drafted good players, it's all randomly thrown together without a master plan, much like the way Tim Ruskell built a team and how his assistants that moved to Tennessee built a team there. One example: Tavon Austin is roughly on par with Brandin Cooks and Odell Beckham in terms of talent, but the Rams have no idea how to utilize him.

The Rams DL is their bright spot personnel wise. But their defense as a whole is insanely inconsistent. On offense, they are the Tennesee Titans of the NFC. The Rams really are who their record says they are.

I think what's really damning of Fisher is that Bruce Arians walked onto a less talented team and had them win games IMMEDIATELY. Even with Drew Stanton, the worst starting QB in the NFL, IMO, the Cardinals are still winning games. Even with a barrage of injuries and IR's to their best players. Is anybody making excuses for Arians? No, because Arians is an elite coach. Fisher is just an average one who's elite at game management and finds ways to get wins against good teams occasionally.

This is really the first year that I've felt the Rams were starting to become a legitimate threat since the early 2000s. I understand that the hype machine has always loved to pump up the 3rd and 4th place teams in our division every offseason, so I understand your frustration. But I've never bought that line because I've always felt that the Rams were a disaster on offense (even when Steven Jackson was there).

Since Les Snead arrived in St. Louis as the GM before the 2012 draft, I've gotten the sense that the Rams are attempting to build a team in the mold of the other NFC West teams. They've invested heavily in the D-line and secondary and added a LB in the 1st round in 2013, as well. They've also worked on investing in a run game. They've taken some shots with WRs, but those aren't panning out as well, clearly.

But this all has the feel to me of a team that is working on building its identity first and hoping to put a QB in there once they're able to move on from Bradford. I understand that they aren't winning like Arizona is, but they're younger than Arizona is. The Rams have the feel of the 2011 Seahawks to me right now. Does that mean I think that they're going to have the same success we've had since 2011? Not at all. They've actually got to HIT on a franchise QB, and that's clearly easier said than done. Plus - as I mentioned in my post - I'm not a Fisher fan. I think if they find a QB and an OC that can make use of their weapons, they could be a 10-win team. But I don't think the ceiling is really any higher than that.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1fami7gc said:

Good comparison. Like John Fox, I think Fisher is a guy who can take your 3-13 club and get it to 8-8 status. I think expecting anything more of him requires some excellent talent on the field.

kearly

Reaction score
volsunghawk":1pwlg6vv said:
This is really the first year that I've felt the Rams were starting to become a legitimate threat since the early 2000s. I understand that the hype machine has always loved to pump up the 3rd and 4th place teams in our division every offseason, so I understand your frustration. But I've never bought that line because I've always felt that the Rams were a disaster on offense (even when Steven Jackson was there).

Since Les Snead arrived in St. Louis as the GM before the 2012 draft, I've gotten the sense that the Rams are attempting to build a team in the mold of the other NFC West teams. They've invested heavily in the D-line and secondary and added a LB in the 1st round in 2013, as well. They've also worked on investing in a run game. They've taken some shots with WRs, but those aren't panning out as well, clearly.

But this all has the feel to me of a team that is working on building its identity first and hoping to put a QB in there once they're able to move on from Bradford. I understand that they aren't winning like Arizona is, but they're younger than Arizona is. The Rams have the feel of the 2011 Seahawks to me right now. Does that mean I think that they're going to have the same success we've had since 2011? Not at all. They've actually got to HIT on a franchise QB, and that's clearly easier said than done. Plus - as I mentioned in my post - I'm not a Fisher fan. I think if they find a QB and an OC that can make use of their weapons, they could be a 10-win team. But I don't think the ceiling is really any higher than that.

My point is this. They are a team that allegedly wants to be a physical NFC West team. So they pay big to draft... Tavon Austin? Then they invest BIG on a pure road grader prospect #2 overall. Now it's time to draft a bruising RB. They pass on Carlos Hyde and select... finesse speedster Tre Mason?

These are WTF moves that show a glaring lack of consistency or structure. A BPA grab-bag mentality. As Pete has shown, it's far better to simply draft your guys instead of Mel Kiper's best available. That lesson is lost on Fisher and Snead.

On defense, they've never really done anything other than draft very good D-lineman with early to mid 1st round picks. Yes they are good players, but they should be good given where they were drafted.

They are the same team now that they were in 2012. They've had more draft ammunition than ANYONE the last three years and have gone nowhere with it.

This team isn't turning a corner. They had some eye opening blowout wins last year too, and they sucked badly to open 2014 anyway. They are a slightly below average team (this bears out in DVOA) with wild swings in effectiveness. When they get on a hot streak they look like they might be on to something, but in truth they are not. They remind me so much of the mid-90s Seahawks.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
kearly":2j3wj7ir said:
volsunghawk":2j3wj7ir said:

My point is this. They are a team that allegedly wants to be a physical NFC West team. So they pay big to draft... Tavon Austin? Then they invest BIG on a pure road grader prospect #2 overall. Now it's time to draft a bruising RB. They pass on Carlos Hyde and select... finesse speedster Tre Mason?

FYI, Mason was selected at the end of the 3rd Round, while Hyde went in the 2nd. Mason has looked great this year, leading this rookie class in broken tackles. I don't disagree with your overall point. However, this needed to be corrected.

kearly

Reaction score
I know, but they still passed on Hyde to take Mason later. Hyde would fit a physical team, Mason does not. The broken tackles stat is lying with statistics, he is a 5'8" speed back who you wouldn't trust in power running situations. Take this last game for example. Game on the line, 3rd and goal from the 1. They pass. 4th and goal from the one, down 9 with six minutes to go. They kick the field goal. They know as well as I do that Mason is not a complete back.

And besides, even if the Rams tried to use Mason like Marshawn Lynch he would snap in half like Andre Ellington did within half a season.

Now, this is just my subjective opinion, but I've never been impressed with him. I thought he was a hype job at Auburn. I think he's a dead average RB in the NFL, at least so far. I think he's a classic 3rd down back that's being over-played due to his team having a craptastic stable of RBs. Similar to Ellington in AZ.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
kearly":1brpg4p6 said:
I know, but they still passed on Hyde to take Mason later. Hyde would fit a physical team, Mason does not. The broken tackles stat is lying with statistics, he is a 5'8" speed back who you wouldn't trust in power running situations. Take this last game for example. Game on the line, 3rd and goal from the 1. They pass. 4th and goal from the one, down 9 with six minutes to go. They kick the field goal. They know as well as I do that Mason is not a complete back.

And besides, even if the Rams tried to use Mason like Marshawn Lynch he would snap in half like Andre Ellington did within half a season.

Now, this is just my subjective opinion, but I've never been impressed with him. I thought he was a hype job at Auburn. I think he's a dead average RB in the NFL, at least so far. I think he's a classic 3rd down back that's being over-played due to his team having a craptastic stable of RBs. Similar to Ellington in AZ.

I see where you're coming from . . . then you may be overrating Carlos Hyde, who is unathletic, slow to the hole, and has done virtually nothing this year (3.6 yards per carry). I would definitely take Mason over Hyde if both had been available at the end of the 3rd Round. He has the potential to be an average back with good vision, explosiveness, and tackle-breaking ability, while Hyde's skill set appears to be below the average.

PositiveDapperAlabamamapturtle.gif

Mason (First Down)

MedicalShinyHeifer.gif

Mason (TD)

Sherman4Prez

Reaction score
It was hilarious and awesome. Rams fans need something to smile about after playing this many games with a backup QB. Their team isn't far from being contenders. Had they had Bradford healthy all year, no telling what might have happened. It's always next year for that team...