Cliff Avril plans to continue playing

Seymour

Reaction score
Nice follow up article on NFL.com about Cliff possibly returning here.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...intends-to-play-football-again-despite-injury

Would Avril want to return to a Legion of Boom without the recognizable boom?

"I think we're still close enough," Avril insisted. "I for sure think they'll keep the core group of guys around. I think they'll keep the guys who are great leaders around to bring the young players along. So I don't think they'll take too much of step back if they do decide to rebuild."

scutterhawk

Reaction score
vin.couve12":cy0ga2bw said:
I don't think there's any question as to if Avril wants to come back. Same with Kam. It's not a question as to if either wants too though. I also think there's some misleading titles to this topic where there's an indication where each says that they are as a matter of fact. It's obvious that both know that there are obstacles and milestones.

That's not to say that I don't like the fortitude. I love it, but that's not the whole of it. The thought of seeing one of them down with no arms or legs moving is terrible. The money doesn't matter at that point.

I think Lockette's stint in the hospital convinced him that the money isn't worth the chances of taking just one more hit and wind up paralyzed for the rest of his life.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Mojambo":1m25yeio said:
Hoping for a rebound. He wasn't terribly great before the injury.

Chancellor is the one I want back.

He may not be great in your opinion but there is a noticeable difference in the Seattle's pass rush when he's in there vs. when he's not.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Love Cliff, but no way he's back here unless he's OK with re-doing his contract knocking it down to a no guarantee incentive heavy vet minimum deal where he has to get through training camp and pre-season games with a clean bill of health.

AF_BASS_MAN

Reaction score
When he was answering the questions about his future plans on NFLN, you can tell while he did say those things, he knew that the odds were stacked against him and he acknowledged the risk of further severe injury being a reality.

Of course a player that still possesses the skill set to perform at a high level will desire to play.

Of course that’s because he’s talking with his heart at this point, and not his brain.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
I have not seen Cliff Avril's X-rays posted on this site, so why are so many posters saying that he cannot play again?
Just seems premature to me.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1nlvaldk said:
Love Cliff, but no way he's back here unless he's OK with re-doing his contract knocking it down to a no guarantee incentive heavy vet minimum deal where he has to get through training camp and pre-season games with a clean bill of health.

I agree with this.

BigBill1945

Reaction score
2_0_6":26h9k4yp said:
Unless he is 100% healed with no risk of sever damage then why risk it?

I agree. I know he loves the game. But, I would advise against it. I have posted the medical reasons in an earlier post. I played D1 in college but not in the pros. I am an old man now and am dearly paying for the sins of my youth. He and his doctors will have to make the decision obviously. I do hope they will be totally transparent about the possible negative outcomes with playing again. That is just me.

OP
OP
original poster

original poster

Reaction score
Bit more insight -

[tweet]https://twitter.com/gbellseattle/status/953672069044039680[/tweet]

hawxfreak

Reaction score
That's a very telling tweet
Sure doesn't sound like he'll be playing again from that
Even with all the care they gaet as pro's a little twinge of pain can turn into problems when you you put it to the test
I know after breaking two vertebrae when I was 19 and it's followed me all my life now at 52
Granted I didn't get the medical care he does but have seen a zillion Drs. and surgery is still not 100% effective at all
I know the moneys attractive but that's a lot to ask from bones and facing what he is I wouldn't chance it
Time will tell but for us is the cap hit worth the risk of injury ?
Good luck Cliff

OP
OP
original poster

original poster

Reaction score
I wish him the absolute best of luck in whatever he decides.

Hell of a man, on and off the field.

Reaction score
hawxfreak":168pnfsj said:
Even with all the care they gaet as pro's a little twinge of pain can turn into problems when you you put it to the test
I know after breaking two vertebrae when I was 19 and it's followed me all my life now at 52
Granted I didn't get the medical care he does but have seen a zillion Drs. and surgery is still not 100% effective at all
I know the moneys attractive but that's a lot to ask from bones and facing what he is I wouldn't chance it
Good luck Cliff

The cap hit is the same regardless. He can't pass a physical right now, so his money is guaranteed. Gotta pass a physical for the team to be able to cut him without the injury settlement (which hits the cap)

OP
OP
original poster

original poster

Reaction score
QuickLightning":cqjm24cz said:
hawxfreak":cqjm24cz said:
Good luck Cliff

The cap hit is the same regardless. He can't pass a physical right now, so his money is guaranteed. Gotta pass a physical for the team to be able to cut him without the injury settlement (which hits the cap)

Of course he’ll be able to pass a physical.

The problem for him isn’t about never getting better, it’s reinjury.