Clay Matthews on plan vs Kapernick, hit the QB

Marvin49

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2l64uhcy said:
themunn":2l64uhcy said:
Marvin49":2l64uhcy said:
You mean the guy with a busted knee before the game started?

As for HOW he busted his knee...that was stupidity on his part. The sideline and the slide are your friend. Kaep knows that. Wilson knows that. RGIII...not so much.

And how do you think he busted his knee in the first place? Teams took shots at him all season long, and they'll do the same to Wilson and Kaepernick whenever they get the chance. Both guys are good at avoiding the hit, so it might not work as well as hoped, but the strategy is sound
There was a video posted on here of all RG's runs. Go watch it. Count how many hits he takes behind the line running the read option. That is not how he got hurt.

This stuff from the Pack is saber rattling. Same thing the Ravens did before the SB, talk about hitting the QB. I thought they actually followed through on that, but then I watched again and no, the Ravens barely touched Kaep as he executed handoffs and fakes.

That said, Russell WIlson is the RO guy most affected by this, because he is the guy who actually holds the ball the longest on these fakes.

Agree.

I've read alot about how the Ravens got to Kaep with those hits. Please.

Most of those "hits" were no more than light shoves. The guy most often delivering those "hits" said after the game...."Man...I hate QBs. But that Colin Kaepernick? That kids special. He'll play in a few of these. I tip my hat to him". Yup...sounds like the hits really got to Kaep. That was Suggs BTW.

As for Wilson...I dunno. I think he's smart enough by a long shot to get rid of the ball and not expose himself to the hits. He's easily the most elusive of the three in tight spaces.

RGIII needs to learn to get out of bounds and to slide. He does his team no good on the sideline. There should never be an opportunity for Haloti Ngata to plant him the way he did several yards downfield. Thats just not smart play.

Kaep took those hits in college and learned to get down or out of bounds. RGIII needs to do the same.

mikeak

Reaction score
^ While I agree that RG3 needs to learn how to slide take a look at the video. Unlike Kaep and RW RG3 ran designated plays up the middle where you cannot avoid impact. His coach is the only one that ran LOTS of plays knowing that his franchise qb would take major hits just like a RB. I don't understand the thinking behind it but not that worried about Kaep (unfortunately :D) and RW

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
What happens when the qb runs the read option, pulls the ball back away from the tailback and instead of running it sets up to pass? The officials are going to still have to afford the qb protection as they do now.

The defense really is hamstrung by this scheme.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":3elmpwwa said:
What happens when the qb runs the read option, pulls the ball back away from the tailback and instead of running it sets up to pass? The officials are going to still have to afford the qb protection as they do now.

Yessir.

chris98251

Reaction score
I think once he is outside the tackles he's a runner and fair game and it doesn't matter, much like a WR or a Halfback pass.

It will take one time of a QB getting blasted front and back for them to have to really look at things though, nobody wants Andrew Luck having a metal grill and a straw to eat with for 2 months.

seedhawk

Reaction score
RW reminds me a lot of Fran Tarkenton. Smallish, holds the ball, runs around like a dervish. Lots of teams tried to beat Tarkenton up and found it darn near impossible, cuz they had to catch up to him first.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
Maybe that's why we have so many linebackers on the roster, just keep throwing fresh bodies in there to beat the hell out of the QB? :sarcasm_off:

mikeak

Reaction score
chris98251":l2y4n6kx said:
I think once he is outside the tackles he's a runner and fair game and it doesn't matter, much like a WR or a Halfback pass.

It will take one time of a QB getting blasted front and back for them to have to really look at things though, nobody wants Andrew Luck having a metal grill and a straw to eat with for 2 months.

Key here is outside the tackles. Wildcat is continuously outside the tackles. RO not so much

Secondly I don't know why everyone thinks the qb's will fall apart as soon as they are tackled

kearly

Reaction score
I agree with Scottemojo's saber-rattling comment, for an additional reason. CK weighs 230 pounds and runs a 4.53. It's harder to lay a big hit on faster players and it's harder to injure bigger players. Quite frankly, I don't think CK gives a shit if you hit him or not. His "truck" index is better than Andrew Luck, and when Luck gets hit he giggles and pats the dude on the back. "Nice Hit!"

Stone Cold

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2hdullkt said:
Tech Worlds":2hdullkt said:

Yessir.

Yes. People got caught up thinking Harvin would be running the RO with Wilson, but I would imagine they traded for him thinking of bubble screens and variations off of that play that meant him catching the ball. The guy at Grantland who runs the Smart Football blog has been doing a ton of work on similar stuff this summer and the whole time I was reading it I was thinking, "holy shit, Percy Harvin!" Sucks he got hurt, but it could mean a huge year for Tate. And if Harvin does come back in November...