Clark Judge: Sea vs SF rivalry best in NFL

BASF

Reaction score
sutz":g13k56ml said:
Actually, it very well could be three times in 2013-if you count the playoffs.

:)

The mere inference brings back Frank Hawkins and Marcus Allen flashbacks.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
I don't agree about the Wilson in SF remark.

Now, if you want to talk about how our DL looked defeated in the last 20 minutes, I'm going to concede that. I just really felt that SF game was one that was very even and I give credit to Alex Smith and Harbaugh in making the adjustments to exploit our weak middle pass defense. Like a pitcher who works a hole in a batter's swing, they just mercilessly beat us down with the shallow stuff.

Then they just figuratively ripped the arms out of our DL's sockets and beat them do death with their own appendages. That was the most sufficiently dominated seattle D I saw all year. We knew what was coming and there was no way we could stop it. We were physically destroyed.

Wilson kept us in that game. In fact, I said on more than one occasion that I considered that his breakout game. Not the Chicago game.

I just cannot wait for this season. The anticipation for this rivalry/war is mind blowing.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Yet, Attyla, our defense still held the 49ers to 13 points.

Ugh. We so should have won that game. Sooooooo many dropped balls.

Giedi

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":5tc85q7h said:
I don't agree about the Wilson in SF remark.

Now, if you want to talk about how our DL looked defeated in the last 20 minutes, I'm going to concede that. I just really felt that SF game was one that was very even and I give credit to Alex Smith and Harbaugh in making the adjustments to exploit our weak middle pass defense. Like a pitcher who works a hole in a batter's swing, they just mercilessly beat us down with the shallow stuff.

Then they just figuratively ripped the arms out of our DL's sockets and beat them do death with their own appendages. That was the most sufficiently dominated seattle D I saw all year. We knew what was coming and there was no way we could stop it. We were physically destroyed.

Wilson kept us in that game. In fact, I said on more than one occasion that I considered that his breakout game. Not the Chicago game.

I just cannot wait for this season. The anticipation for this rivalry/war is mind blowing.
I look forward to seeing how this 'hawk defense plays this year. Defense wins championships.

hawk45

Reaction score
You guys chased Disp away, how is that fun for the rest of us?

The only time you see panic from RW is when he shows up at 5am and the projector isn't setup with all of last year's games on tap for him. Elsewise he has cold, dead eyes.

two dog

Reaction score
The Seahawks and "9ers, like a boxer challenging the champion, must be overwhelming
to get this "best rivalry" notation from the Eastern press.

Usually it's the "real teams", you know, the Giants, Packers, Falcons and the Cowboys
for cryin' out loud. New England, Miami and the everlovin' Jets (AFC Cowboys).

I'm just glad someone with national exposure agrees with what we already knew.
(National exposure, just imagine the possibilities. sigh)

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":xra7qqaa said:
Yet, Attyla, our defense still held the 49ers to 13 points.

Ugh. We so should have won that game. Sooooooo many dropped balls.

I also will add to your argument for the Seahawks against any San Fran Fan...

1. Q) How many Seahawks rookies played last season compared to the 49ers?

A) 2 Rookie Starters (Wilson and Wagner at positions of Leadership, QB and MLB, with 35 starts), and 4 others with solid to significant contributions with 10 combined starts (Irvin, Turbin, Lane, Sweezy, and Scruggs) and another that played in about 4 games (Guy).

49ers fielded LaMichael James, only after, Kendell Hunter went down.... I think that's it from what I researched.

2. What is the age difference between the two teams?

In 2012, I know Seahawks were one of the youngest teams (top 5) but how about them 49ers, who were probably on old to older extreme in league comparison.

To drive the points 1 and 2 home, 8 Seahawks rookies with 45 combined starts saw action on the field on an already incredibly young team overall.

3. When the Seahawks met the 49ers, a team who was playing their 3rd home game in a row, for the first time Thursday night on a short week... 49ers got decimated by a NY Giants team that, the prior week, who were pedestrian on offense, instead capitalizing on Defense that racked up 6 sacks and forced 3 Alex Smith INTs. ... while the Seahawks defense got dominated by the up-tempo, no huddle Patriots offense for much of the game... NE T.O.P. 36:00 minutes, 85 total plays vs SEA T.O.P 24:00 minutes, 55 plays…

Yet the Seahawks were still able to hang on to win and hold the Patriots to 23 points… Then go to SF on the short week and still lose only 13-6. With Sea WRs dropping at least 2 scoring opportunities.

NE, SF games were also important in the sense that both teams exploited the Seahawks defense miserably. NE did it with Brady, Welker and Co torching the Seahawks coverage inside specifically Marcus Trufant. SF with Gore and his dominant O-line taking control of a tired Seahawks defense and gutting them up with well designed draw plays. A blue print to the rest of the league in which contributed to Seahawk losses vs Det and Mia)

What happened when SF played NE, and then played SEA the next week?… a 42-13 embarrassing loss by the SF who can’t say they weren’t playing for anything like their Offensive Coordinator later indicated because if SF won they win the NFC West outright, and not on the glorifications of a tie or the possibility of choking against the Cardinals the following week and losing. Thus, allowing the Seahawks to become the 2nd Seed with a bye week and never losing Chris Clemons to a shitty field vs the Redskins…

Who knows what would have happen then?

4. Lastly, the Seahawks weren't blown out in any game in 2012. Losing only on the road by 4 points @ ARZ, 6 points @ STL, 7 points @ SF, 4 points @ DET, 3 points @ MIA, and then 2 points @ ATL in the playoffs after trailing 20-0 to make it 30-28 without the momentum killing help of a stadium blackout.

All I’m trying to say is… to any San Fran Fan who actually believe with the strongest of convictions that the 49ers are the better team between the Seahawks… you better pray more. And I’m not saying the Seahawks are better but I think the upside and potential is there once youth becomes experience.

Disp

Reaction score
You guys sure are inferring a lot from what I wrote. I said Kaepernick’s game reminded me of Wilson’s game at the 49ers. All QB’s have bad games, and I didn’t say Wilson is a bad quarterback.

I think most of us can agree that Profootballfocus is unbiased, and much better analysts than any of us, so I’ve got a couple charts from their site. The main thing you can take away is both played poorly under pressure, decently with no pressure, and overall both were ineffective. Kaepernick was 2/9 with a pick and Wilson was 1/9 with a pick with pressure. Without pressure they were both close to 60% passing, and relatively efficient. Both avoided taking many sacks despite pressure, they each had a couple dropped passes, and both were bad on 3rd downs. Seattle was 4-13 overall on 3rd down @ SF, and SF was 3-13 overall on 3rd down @ Seattle. Beyond that, it was Kaep’s 6’th start and Wilson’s 7’th start, so they were at similar points in the season. That's why Kaepernick's performance reminded me of Wilson's earlier in the year.

As far as debating whether Kaepernick was rattled and Wilson wasn’t, does it matter? Rattled or not, they both played bad games. If you think Wilson played a good game then we’ll just have to disagree. After the 1st quarter the Seahawks had 7 drives, and Wilson had just as many passing first downs as interceptions in that 45 minute timeframe. Take it as a dig if you want, but I don’t think anyone outside of Seattle will claim he had a good game, just as no one will claim Kaepernick had a good game @ Seattle. Like I said, all QB’s have bad games, and having a bad game vs. the 49ers or Seahawks defense isn’t exactly uncommon.

Attachments

• kaepwilson.jpg
    kaepwilson.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 1,718

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Disp":df0nb4mb said:
If you think Wilson played a good game then we’ll just have to disagree. After the 1st quarter the Seahawks had 7 drives, and Wilson had just as many passing first downs as interceptions in that 45 minute timeframe. Take it as a dig if you want, but I don’t think anyone outside of Seattle will claim he had a good game, just as no one will claim Kaepernick had a good game @ Seattle.

You disagree with Jim Harbaugh. I believe he lives outside Seattle. ;)

Q: What did your defense do to succeed against QB Russell Wilson the first time you faced him?

Harbaugh: "Well, they made plays. We made plays. And Russell played very well in that game. I remember a few critical drops. Otherwise, he would have had a few other big completions. And a few more plays. Tight game. Limit him? I don't know that we did. I think it probably came out pretty even. And might have been for a couple of those drops."

http://www.ninersnation.com/2012/12...49ers-vs-seahawks-press-conference-transcript

Giedi

Reaction score
DavidSeven":cqm63hkb said:
Disp":cqm63hkb said:
If you think Wilson played a good game then we’ll just have to disagree. After the 1st quarter the Seahawks had 7 drives, and Wilson had just as many passing first downs as interceptions in that 45 minute timeframe. Take it as a dig if you want, but I don’t think anyone outside of Seattle will claim he had a good game, just as no one will claim Kaepernick had a good game @ Seattle.

You disagree with Jim Harbaugh. I believe he lives outside Seattle. ;)

Q: What did your defense do to succeed against QB Russell Wilson the first time you faced him?

Harbaugh: "Well, they made plays. We made plays. And Russell played very well in that game. I remember a few critical drops. Otherwise, he would have had a few other big completions. And a few more plays. Tight game. Limit him? I don't know that we did. I think it probably came out pretty even. And might have been for a couple of those drops."

http://www.ninersnation.com/2012/12...49ers-vs-seahawks-press-conference-transcript

I think you also have to factor in that the 49ers were healthier at that time too, defensively. Not taking anything away from a legit Seahawk win at CLink at all. But the 49ers after Justin's injury was just not the same defensively that they were earlier in the year.

What I will say going for any team into enemy territory is that defense will play a big part of any wins this next season. Seattle has beefed up their pass rush, so it's going to be a different game defensively than it was at the 49er game. The 'hawk D Line should perform much better than it had when they were at Candlestick. If they do, it will be a loss for the 49ers.