Chuck Powell interesting idea - trade Russell

OP
OP
Tical21

Tical21

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2y5xpa4b said:
Tical21":2y5xpa4b said:
I love Russell but it became pretty obvious this year that Marshawn and the defense stirred the drink. Seems kind of a waste to pay any qb a bunch of money. The more we pass, the worse we get.

What made you think that? The part where we made the playoffs at 10-5-1, or the part where we were three Steve Haushcka misses and a Jermaine Kearse foot away from being the #1 seed?

Wilson is worth 10 wins a year and comes with half an offensive line built-in in the form of his mobility. He's got more years ahead of him than any other star QB. I fail to see the value in getting rid of him at the height of his success.
Watching our offense this year. Where did we end up? We had a butter soft schedule and a weak division.

Also, you've never seen a top-5, which I don't agree Russell is, QB traded. Never been done. Come on, I thought we were trend setters here. Let's get ahead of the curve! Way more teams have not traded their franchise quarterback and failed than traded him and failed.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
Tical21":56hc7y2z said:
Chuck made a pretty compelling argument the other day. Since the highest paid qbs never win Super Bowls, it is smarter for us to go super cheap at quarterback?

Pretty sure the last 2 years just saw the highest paid QB's win super bowls.

OP
OP
Tical21

Tical21

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":3d6gktxp said:
Tical21":3d6gktxp said:
Chuck made a pretty compelling argument the other day. Since the highest paid qbs never win Super Bowls, it is smarter for us to go super cheap at quarterback?

Pretty sure the last 2 years just saw the highest paid QB's win super bowls.
Brady is like 12th, Manning is lower. 2007 Manning is the only qb since 1999 to win a Super Bowl as one of the 5 highest paid qbs.

Fade

Reaction score
See 2011 Seahawks.

The End.

It would be a lot easier to spend $10M in 2017 on Andrew Whitworth. Find a new OC & OL Coach. Then to find another championship QB.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Our whole offense is designed around Wilson, and Wilson's ability to escape. With any other QB most assuredly we'd have to develop a offensive line, which means spending money and finding players to do this. THen, when all that is done, we don't even know if we have a QB yet.

Josea16

Reaction score
Fade":13mkujf3 said:
See 2011 Seahawks.

The End.

It would be a lot easier to spend $10M in 2017 on Andrew Whitworth. Find a new OC & OL Coach. Then to find another championship QB.
Duh. Especially an OL coach. Bevell isn't the problem Cable is the problem. Unless you figure Pete is.... which may be totally valid at this point. My opinion is if another bullshite 10-6 and one win one loss playoffs happens with THIS collection of talent happens he's done.

I wouldn't feel this way if we didn't already have every piece in play to roll like New England year after year if we only had an average OL. Just AVERAGE, not good, not great just average. Prosise, Rawls, Graham and Wilson would shame the current Atlanta Falcons if Wilson and gang had a decent OL running a scheme that actually works to the strength of the OL Tom Cable picked.

All this with an actual defense.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I think the Pats should trade Tom Brady (his value will never be higher) , and the Packers should trade Aaron Rodgers.....can you imagine what you can get for them on the open market?

See how dumb that sounds.

That mentality is why I hate fantasy football and Madden.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Actually now I am convinced. Get rid of Wilson for a 3rd rounder (fitting right?) and have Boykin carry the team for most of the game, then to a double-switch in the late innings and have our athletic utility man Fant take over with Boykin moving to wideout and Jimmy to LT (he's brought inline to block half the time anyway). And for the ultimate irony we'll suit up Bevell for a few jet sweeps and bubbles ala Bryan Walters style. And if this hasn't sold you already, just think of the super duper neato cap savings we get by dumping ole #3! :sarcasm_on:

In actuality folks, remember progessive does not equal pragmatic.

Anthony!

Reaction score
well one thing is for sure the OP may not have written the story but his agenda is clear

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
ZagHawk":12luis8m said:
Gotta build around the Franchise QB IMO. I'd be more willing to trade Sherman and/or Chancellor to get more youth and depth in the defense. And if PC and DB are so hell bent on being this run first team, then trade Graham bring in another RB without the head issues of Michael. And do what it takes to have a good Run Block O-Line

The thing is, they don't have to trade Graham, sherm or anyone to accomplish this. I don't know why everyone is so quick to want to break up the band. They have everyone they need, except for Reece, and maybe ahead as a backup, under contract. Not only do they have that, but also 27 million dollars to play with. They can address everything they need to through free agency and the draft.

To me, this next year is exciting. We are a few pieces away from being lethal. A veteran o lineman or two through fa or trade. Maybe a good corner through fa or draft. That leaves a rb and defensive depth in the draft. If they take grab at least one lineman and a corner in fa, they can get the bpa, and stop passing up talent for need.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Jimjones0384":3m1jqxnd said:
ZagHawk":3m1jqxnd said:
Gotta build around the Franchise QB IMO. I'd be more willing to trade Sherman and/or Chancellor to get more youth and depth in the defense. And if PC and DB are so hell bent on being this run first team, then trade Graham bring in another RB without the head issues of Michael. And do what it takes to have a good Run Block O-Line

The thing is, they don't have to trade Graham, sherm or anyone to accomplish this. I don't know why everyone is so quick to want to break up the band. They have everyone they need, except for Reece, and maybe ahead as a backup, under contract. Not only do they have that, but also 27 million dollars to play with. They can address everything they need to through free agency and the draft.

To me, this next year is exciting. We are a few pieces away from being lethal. A veteran o lineman or two through fa or trade. Maybe a good corner through fa or draft. That leaves a rb and defensive depth in the draft. If they take grab at least one lineman and a corner in fa, they can get the bpa, and stop passing up talent for need.

Agreed great post

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Absolutely! Do it in a heart beat. Because in my 41 years of watching this team, getting good QBs has been the easiest thing in the world. I can't even begin to name all the great franchise QBs the Seahawks have had!! :roll:

Chapow

Reaction score
Tical21":1uggni8e said:
Chuck made a pretty compelling argument the other day. Since the highest paid qbs never win Super Bowls, it is smarter for us to go super cheap at quarterback? We could get two very high first rounders from Cleveland. We could get Watson and pay him pennies on the dollar for four years, spend the extra money on a couple more pro-bowlers, keep our picks and add another from Cleveland. We may even be able to get more!

You found this to be a compelling argument?

Trade away a franchise QB, the best QB our team has ever had, in his prime, for a couple of draft picks?

And then use one of those picks on a guy that will be exceptionally lucky to ever become even remotely as good as Russ already is right now?

So we would almost certainly end up with a giant, and I mean GIANT, downgrade at QB and one high draft pick. For a franchise QB in his prime.

I'm not seeing how this is a compelling argument.

StoneCold

Reaction score
Chapow":21134di2 said:
Tical21":21134di2 said:
Chuck made a pretty compelling argument the other day. Since the highest paid qbs never win Super Bowls, it is smarter for us to go super cheap at quarterback? We could get two very high first rounders from Cleveland. We could get Watson and pay him pennies on the dollar for four years, spend the extra money on a couple more pro-bowlers, keep our picks and add another from Cleveland. We may even be able to get more!

Trade away a franchise QB, the best QB our team has ever had, in his prime, for a couple of draft picks?

And then use one of those picks on a guy that will be exceptionally lucky to ever become even remotely as good as Russ already is right now?

So we would almost certainly end up with a giant, and I mean GIANT, downgrade at QB and one high draft pick. For a franchise QB in his prime.

You don't seem to understand the Hawk's are BROKEN and in need of drastic fixes.

Does that help? :)

OP
OP
Tical21

Tical21

Reaction score
Chapow":284q6c0y said:
Tical21":284q6c0y said:

I dunno, isn't there like a sell high argument to be made here? Getting two firsts for the 14th rated passer in the league, that is at the least showing signs of regression doesn't seem like too awful of a deal. I mean, I dunno, it's really risky, but could be exactly what this franchise needs.

OP
OP
Tical21

Tical21

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":1krmdl67 said:
Absolutely! Do it in a heart beat. Because in my 41 years of watching this team, getting good QBs has been the easiest thing in the world. I can't even begin to name all the great franchise QBs the Seahawks have had!! :roll:
So you're saying we're due to hit on a couple in a row?

StoneCold

Reaction score
Tical21":1t4n4s61 said:
Chapow":1t4n4s61 said:
Tical21":1t4n4s61 said:

I dunno, isn't there like a sell high argument to be made here? Getting two firsts for the 14th rated passer in the league, that is at the least showing signs of regression doesn't seem like too awful of a deal. I mean, I dunno, it's really risky, but could be exactly what this franchise needs.

Injuries and an inexperienced Oline and Mr 14th still squeaked out 10 wins (almost 11 except for a missed field goal).

Think I'll keep him.

mrt144

Reaction score
Tical21":ikshaso9 said:
Chapow":ikshaso9 said:
Tical21":ikshaso9 said:

No, there isn't, because selling high for such an integral position deprives you of the yield from the asset that can't be offset by whatever draft picks you gain in a reasonable time period. Literally you are suggesting that 2 in the bush are better than 1 in the hand.

And why enterain one of the highest risk moves to zazz things up when there are so many smaller less risky things that objectively need improvement from CB depth to a consistent performing OL to a DT with interior pass rush bonafides. None of these improvements requires trading an integral player out.

And this entire thread is just window dressing for your dislike of Wilson. I see it, other people see it, it's as transparent as it is boring and impossible to dissuade you from.