Christian McCaffrey skipping the Sun Bowl

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":73x5vuds said:
Hasselbeck":73x5vuds said:
Seahawkfan80":73x5vuds said:
So he is going off of his resume at Stanford and not gonna finish to go off of the bowl game. Sounds like a Loser that has his own interests at heart above the team's. That aughta make him some brownie points in the draft.

It's the Sun Bowl. :lol:

Ahh....I see....not a good bowl game like the Idaho Potato Bowl. :shock:

Well yeah clearly if he skipped out on the Potato Bowl and the free iPad and Beats headphones that came with it - that'd be a much different situation.

;)

This would be like getting up in arms over a projected 1st round pick in the NBA backing out of playing in the CBI.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Largent80":12iospzn said:
Damn, what has happened to pride and tradition?...Money and greed is the answer. Grow a pair Mc Caffrey.

College football jumped the pride and tradition shark decades ago.

IMO this isn't even on McCaffrey, it's on David Shaw. Urban Meyer said this week that you'll never see one of his players skipping a bowl game, cause that's not how he rolls as a program.

Shaw needed to lay down the law to his players, and his recruits coming to play for Stanford. "If you come here, you play, period, we don't act selfishly here."

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3i414dow said:
"If you come here, you play, period, we don't act selfishly here."

This is the NCAA, right?

I wonder how all those kids at Florida felt when Urban just quit on them.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":ym6uhv99 said:
Sgt. Largent":ym6uhv99 said:

This is the NCAA, right?

Definitely some hypocrisy to his statement. Also how many times is Ohio State going to play in a nothing bowl under Myer?

The sentiment still holds true though, if this is the sign of the times and something coaches and programs have to address long before the athlete and his agent opt out of bowl games.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":rlcmeqfe said:
Uncle Si":rlcmeqfe said:
Sgt. Largent":rlcmeqfe said:

This is the NCAA, right?

Definitely some hypocrisy to his statement. Also how many times is Ohio State going to play in a nothing bowl under Myer?

The sentiment still holds true though, if this is the sign of the times and something coaches and programs have to address long before the athlete and his agent opt out of bowl games.

Oh I agree. I don't like it. I'm just saying under the current conditions no one should be too critical of McCaffrey for his choice.

If the NCAA or (and?) NFL ever figure out a way to make college football more meaningful the players I think they will stem the tide of this type of behavior.

Largent80

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1h3sw7dw said:
Largent80":1h3sw7dw said:
Damn, what has happened to pride and tradition?...Money and greed is the answer. Grow a pair Mc Caffrey.

What a Pussy move, I might get hurt and squander my NFL career...PLEASE. People are asking if he is Seahawky?...NO, he screams Joey Galloway all day.

Money and greed is college sports though. Why shouldn't the players be able to play within it?

He is simply playing in the system that was created around him. He's been at Stanford for what, 3 years already. Stanford and the NCAA have made a ton of money with him. No other part of the system has to remain "loyal."

So why are we upset when a 20-22 year old "kid" exercises the same business options that his coach, the school or the ruling organization can elicit at any time? Why are the athletes the only ones with no control in this situation and when they try to help themselves people jump on them?

I understand people are fearful that this may signal a crack that may lead to the rupture of college athletics. But come on... we are cheering for kids who are basically being used to make millions upon millions of dollars and try and pretend as if they should just do it for the sake of "pride, tradition" or even better, "college."

He literally has nothing to gain from playing in this game. He used his skills to put himself in this position. He was used for his skills to make other people lots of money. He now has one opportunity to think about himself. Why shouldn't he?

With this kind of logic, why even have bowl games? A team plays as a team for a goal (a bowl game) and now we have a completely different set of rules because a player is so worried about getting hurt that he bows out of the team goal?

What is the point of even having a goal?

Answer?....GREED and MONEY.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Largent80":3rm70kap said:

This is correct. College football, the NCAA, TV, corporations, the colleges, and coaches have been making millions upon millions off these kids for decades.

One kid decides he's going to look out for himself in the very end and HE"s the greedy and selfish one?

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3jbex2c4 said:
Shaw needed to lay down the law to his players, and his recruits coming to play for Stanford. "If you come here, you play, period, we don't act selfishly here."

Laying down the law wouldn't have prevented this though. What is Shaw going to do to force a player to play? Especially one with one foot out the door heading into the NFL.

What created this is the college playoff rendering these bowl games even more useless than they already were AND players, especially collegiate athletes, becoming more and more aware of their worth and health.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Even Pete said in his presser today he was not appreciative of the fact that some are not playing in their bowl games. But he also mentioned that some dont play in the probowl. So it sets a different precedent. It was near the end of today's presser.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Largent80":bunkwruh said:
With this kind of logic, why even have bowl games? A team plays as a team for a goal (a bowl game) and now we have a completely different set of rules because a player is so worried about getting hurt that he bows out of the team goal?

What is the point of even having a goal?

I can guarantee with 100% certainty that not a single Stanford player or coach had a goal of going to the Sun Bowl.

jkitsune

Reaction score
I love this thread. I totally get both reactions, but have to say, I absolutely agree w/ CM here. And I bet you that many Stanford grads have taken enough business courses to know that this is absolutely the right economic decision for CM, his future, and his family. When you're weighing millions of dollars, potentially enough to set yourself and your family up for life, over the Sun Bowl, it's pretty hard to ignore the math. I respect players who choose to finish it out, but absolutely understand why CM made the decision.

Very few of us are fortunate enough to be blessed with a multi-million-dollar talent like his, and there's no shame in wanting to make sure you get a chance to reap the rewards of that before your career ends. Yes, a scholarship is not nothing, but as others have pointed out, it is dwarfed by a) what the NCAA/Stanford makes off him, and b) what he has an opportunity to attain if he doesn't get hurt.

That being said, he has to know that his teammates will remember it. Some will understand, some won't, and a lot (particularly the ones who don't have NFL prospects) will resent it, especially if the team loses. That's the cost of making this decision. And if he's a grown man who can handle the consequences of his decision (including any consequences it has in terms of how teams, fans, or teammates view him), how does that make him a p*ssy, or soft?

Part of being an adult is making hard decisions and living with the consequences. In fact, decisions like this are likely to be a much larger portion of the rest of his life than anything directly related to football. Get back to me if he whines about people resenting him for it, but I'm guessing he won't.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2hkcs3p6 said:
IndyHawk":2hkcs3p6 said:
I'm so glad our coach doesn't care for players wimping out on bowl games,I don't think we will be drafting any of those types :2thumbs: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... owl-games/ (PC's words)

Yea, it sure would suck to have a wimp like Leonard Fournette on the SEahawks.
PC won't have it so accept it man.I think there is a bunch of rb's we can get who will do more for less.Ones who are team players not me players.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
IndyHawk":24zn3ja8 said:
JSeahawks":24zn3ja8 said:
IndyHawk":24zn3ja8 said:
I'm so glad our coach doesn't care for players wimping out on bowl games,I don't think we will be drafting any of those types :2thumbs: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... owl-games/ (PC's words)

PC won't have it so accept it man.I think there is a bunch of rb's we can get who will do more for less.Ones who are team players not me players.

If Fournette was on the clock when we were picking i'd bet PC would pull both hamstrings running up to the podium to make the pick, even after he skips out on his teams bowl.

mrt144

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":k2ibvs3r said:
So he is going off of his resume at Stanford and not gonna finish to go off of the bowl game. Sounds like a Loser that has his own interests at heart above the team's. That aughta make him some brownie points in the draft.

Great point at the New Year's 6. If they would chop down the everyone gets a trophy for participation bowl, then these games would have more meaning. Of course that may be the point of all the games too. Maybe they are trying to showcase a lot more recruits for the nfl so they can have a lot more UDFAs making it big. I suppose it all comes down to what is being taught in economics. I dunno...

One play away from never playing again.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Look what happened to Tyler Lockett, Marcus Mariota and David CArr yesterday.

Still think McCaffrey should play in an absolutely meaningless game?

IndyHawk

Reaction score
He sure did not take after his dad.He was a player who didn't think scared.

Rat

Reaction score
IndyHawk":3fohy6xr said:
He sure did not take after his dad.He was a player who didn't think scared.

His father wasn't considered a first round prospect like he is. I think Shock Linwood is stupid to be sitting out, but guys like McCaffrey and Fournette? I can't blame them. Their teams probably don't even care if they win their games. I'll bet a lot of deep reserves end up getting time for Stanford in the Sun Bowl.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
JSeahawks":pbzu4dqx said:
IndyHawk":pbzu4dqx said:
JSeahawks":pbzu4dqx said:
IndyHawk":pbzu4dqx said:

If Fournette was on the clock when we were picking i'd bet PC would pull both hamstrings running up to the podium to make the pick, even after he skips out on his teams bowl.

"Sorry Leonard, I know you're compared to Adrian Peterson but the Citrus Bowl is serious business. You won't be a Seahawk so just accept it man."