Christian McCaffrey skipping the Sun Bowl

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
McCaffrey would be stupid and completely irresponsible with his potential NFL career by playing in a meaningless game.

We see it almost every year. Top round talent gets A) hurt B) in trouble with the law C) pinned as "high risk" and the guy misses out on MILLIONS because he got bumped back a round or two.

You would be an absolute fool to not control these factors if/when you can.

Threedee

Reaction score
fenderbender123":15nvemc5 said:
This is good. We want the ratings on lower tier bowl games to be hurt by this, so that maybe they will start getting rid of them so that the bowl games that do get played will actually have more meaning.

This.

I want all of the participation bowl games gone. Leave the Rose Bowl, as well as the Sugar, Orange, Cotton, and Fiesta bowls. Actually, the Sun Bowl is one of the oldest ones, so keep that. Someone snuck the Fiesta Bowl in back in the 70s, and I kind of would like to see it fail, because it's ridiculous that it's been elevated to the level of Rose and Sugar.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Threedee":ftnqlrwy said:
fenderbender123":ftnqlrwy said:
This is good. We want the ratings on lower tier bowl games to be hurt by this, so that maybe they will start getting rid of them so that the bowl games that do get played will actually have more meaning.

This.

I want all of the participation bowl games gone. Leave the Rose Bowl, as well as the Sugar, Orange, Cotton, and Fiesta bowls. Actually, the Sun Bowl is one of the oldest ones, so keep that. Someone snuck the Fiesta Bowl in back in the 70s, and I kind of would like to see it fail, because it's ridiculous that it's been elevated to the level of Rose and Sugar.

A little birdy told me it used to be called the Siesta bowl...but everyone got tired of it so they changed the name. :sarcasm_off: :stirthepot:

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
SeatownJay":20s3d9wl said:
He's decided to join Leonard Fournette in skipping his team's bowl game to prep for the NFL draft. Personally I think this is the beginning of a terrible precedent where, unless the team is playing in a New Year's Six bowl game, the best players start skipping them to protect their NFL prospects.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2017/story ... i-sun-bowl

Recap:
Fournette - skips bowl - 4th overall pick
McCaffrey - skips bowl - 8th overall pick
Jake Butt - plays in bowl, tears ACL - 145th overall pick

If you're an elite prospect and you're not in the playoff, forget the New Years Six since Butt tore his ACL in the Orange Bowl and Jaylon Smith blew his knee the year before in the Fiesta Bowl .. why even risk it?

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1gjbf7c7 said:
SeatownJay":1gjbf7c7 said:
He's decided to join Leonard Fournette in skipping his team's bowl game to prep for the NFL draft. Personally I think this is the beginning of a terrible precedent where, unless the team is playing in a New Year's Six bowl game, the best players start skipping them to protect their NFL prospects.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2017/story ... i-sun-bowl

Recap:
Fournette - skips bowl - 4th overall pick
McCaffrey - skips bowl - 8th overall pick
Jake Butt - plays in bowl, tears ACL - 145th overall pick

If you're an elite prospect and you're not in the playoff, forget the New Years Six since Butt tore his ACL in the Orange Bowl and Jaylon Smith blew his knee the year before in the Fiesta Bowl .. why even risk it?

Yep, the strategy paid off huge for Fournette and McCaffrey. This will become the new norm. All the agents will be recommending this as well as skipping the Senior Bowl, etc.

And as guys will begin skipping New Year's games, then finally we may see a transition to a larger college playoff and phasing out of the bowl system.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I hate the Bowl skipping as you see in older posts above BUT if it leads to phasing out the stupid bowl system
I love it .I hope it leads to playing 2-3 more games in playoffs instead of holding out for one.
I will always root against any player that skips out on their team for selfish reason(s)
I don't care how it worked out for them in the draft.

replicant

Reaction score
I just read this about Jake Butt. I wonder if all these players have "loss of value insurance"

Thanks to "loss of value insurance" for his injury, Butt will be awarded $543,000 for slipping all the way to the fifth round, according to ESPN's Darren Rovell. Had he not torn his ACL, Butt may have been selected as early as the second round.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/bro ... li=BBnb7Kz

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
replicant":3n2f4hmc said:
I just read this about Jake Butt. I wonder if all these players have "loss of value insurance"

Thanks to "loss of value insurance" for his injury, Butt will be awarded $543,000 for slipping all the way to the fifth round, according to ESPN's Darren Rovell. Had he not torn his ACL, Butt may have been selected as early as the second round.

Very interesting. I'm sure most highly touted prospects can seek special insurance just like racehorse owners in the event of catastrophic injury. I cannot imagine what the premiums might be.

chris98251

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":ahz1f9pz said:
replicant":ahz1f9pz said:

Very interesting. I'm sure most highly touted prospects can seek special insurance just like racehorse owners in the event of catastrophic injury. I cannot imagine what the premiums might be.

College Students taking out Injury insurance at high premiums, who is paying for this stuff, we need a NCAA investigation.