Chris Petersen is the new Washington coach

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
AF_Hawk":2ns8x9dt said:
Love it, MUCH better coach, recruiter, etc. than Sark. Good riddance Sark.

Don't agree with the recruiting part, but coaching.. absolutely.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2ql4s1er said:
There are more Boise State alums in the NFL than UW alums (also more than Arizona, ASU, Oregon State, WSU).

He's either recruiting top-end talent or developing it in-house. Either way, he knows how to put good players on the field. Being in Seattle with a sparkling new facility is only going to help. He had to convince kids to play on blue turf in Boise, Idaho before this.

As a watcher of Pete, He brings in decent talent and makes them team players that excel in their positions on a TEAM effort. You could say that he is a younger PC?? Great acquisition for you all. I did not expect this, but his value is worth what the new team is paying in spades. He needs to run the offense and use the play book. We were talking that he has trade value this year but I did not expect it so soon. UW scored a valuable asset.
:th2thumbs:

chris98251

Reaction score
Want to point out something, when the UW was in a class by themselves James used teaching as well as in state recruitment to develop lineman, didn't have the 5 star guys all the time and based on his teaching ability or being able to hire staff that did ala Cable for the hawks and Lambright and Gilbertson he was able to field a class team

We have been focusing on RB's,WR's and DB's a lot since Neuheisel was here, hopefully Peterson will get back to trench warfare, he does that then the position guys will come becasue of the success had. Defense wise the Huskies will need to be aggressive and nasty, another point we lost since Neuhiesel, we have had some good players, but not great team defense in a long while.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
chris98251":2is8zmdh said:
Want to point out something, when the UW was in a class by themselves James used teaching as well as in state recruitment to develop lineman, didn't have the 5 star guys all the time and based on his teaching ability or being able to hire staff that did ala Cable for the hawks and Lambright and Gilbertson he was able to field a class team

We have been focusing on RB's,WR's and DB's a lot since Neuheisel was here, hopefully Peterson will get back to trench warfare, he does that then the position guys will come becasue of the success had. Defense wise the Huskies will need to be aggressive and nasty, another point we lost since Neuhiesel, we have had some good players, but not great team defense in a long while.

Pete's done a pretty good job of developing talent on the line. Of the 20 or so guys he's put into the NFL I think half are OL/DL.

Starrman44

Reaction score
Just want to say how happy and excited I am. Petersen was my 1st choice absolutely. I would have fired Sark to hire Petersen if necessary. So, I am super stoked this morning.

kearly

Reaction score
Thank heavens. Petersen saves us from Nussmeier. Maybe Nussmeier makes a good head coach, but his profile to this point is Darrell Bevell-esque.

I'm going to give some point by point analysis on this hire, some of it might not be 100% complimentary. That doesn't mean I think this hire is anything less than fantastic for UW.

Okay then, is Petersen an upgrade over Sark? In terms of reputation, obviously, but I won't give Petersen the edge until we see how his assistant coaching staff fills out. Do we keep Wilcox and Tosh L.? This must be job one for Petersen.

I haven't watched a ton of Boise State, but I did think that Sark clearly outcoached Petersen in their head to head season opener this year. Petersen was not prepared for that game at all. I also thought that Boise States play selection was incredibly uninspiring. They called a ton of dumpoff passes for 5 yards or less. It was the same in the bowl game the year before. That said, it was a totally different style of offense when Kellen Moore and Doug Martin were there, Moore had a weak arm but he took a ton of shots down the field. BSU's QB this year was a smart, quick QB, but he had some issues with arm talent and also confidence, so that might explain the ultra-pussyfied play calling.

I think Petersen's two biggest assets are his name brand which will help recruiting and his phenomenal track record with developing players for the NFL. The fact that he turned a 6'0", no tools nobody from a remote SE Washington High School into one of college football most prolific ever QBs speaks volumes.

Petersen recruits better than Sark, IMO. Sark might get the better scout/rivals ratings, but he did it by recruiting a gajillion high rated skill position players, whereas Petersen has done a very good job of recruiting and developing offensive and defensive linemen. I thought Sark was doing a good job, but even I thought he'd probably never bring us physical Don James football. Petersen may not be Nick Saban, but his teams play physical.

To me the biggest thing about this change is how it impacts next years starter at QB. Petersen seems to prefer "Tony Romo" type QBs instead of the more athletic types that dominate UW's roster. I expect he'll give all 3 QBs an honest competition next Spring, if Miles was the anointed one he probably isn't any more, though he of course might still win the job. A big bullet in Miles favor is that Petersen is not afraid of QBs with piss poor arms. I just hope the best QB on the team gets the job, and I hope that Miles isn't the best option available. Whatever happens, I trust Petersen's judgement as his track record with under-talented QBs is as good as anybody.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
kearly":9k196992 said:
Thank heavens. Petersen saves us from Nussmeier. Maybe Nussmeier makes a good head coach, but his profile to this point is Darrell Bevell-esque.

I'm going to give some point by point analysis on this hire, some of it might not be 100% complimentary. That doesn't mean I think this hire is anything less than fantastic for UW.

Okay then, is Petersen an upgrade over Sark? In terms of reputation, obviously, but I won't give Petersen the edge until we see how his assistant coaching staff fills out. Do we keep Wilcox and Tosh L.?

I haven't watched a ton of Boise State, but I did think that Sark clearly outcoached Petersen in their head to head season opener this year. Petersen was not prepared for that game at all. I also thought that Boise States play selection was incredibly uninspiring. They called a ton of dumpoff passes for 5 yards or less.

I'm just getting started here, I'll edit the rest in a bit later, computer issues.

True, but that was the very first time that Sark unveiled his Chip Kelly Jr. offense, so it's hard to fault Petersen for being unprepared. The UW Ducks tape didn't exist yet. Boise also had a down year, generally (for them).

Scottemojo

Reaction score
kearly":2bcqsj5l said:

Okay then, is Petersen an upgrade over Sark? In terms of reputation, obviously, but I won't give Petersen the edge until we see how his assistant coaching staff fills out. Do we keep Wilcox and Tosh L.?

I haven't watched a ton of Boise State, but I did think that Sark clearly outcoached Petersen in their head to head season opener this year. Petersen was not prepared for that game at all. I also thought that Boise States play selection was incredibly uninspiring. They called a ton of dumpoff passes for 5 yards or less.

I'm just getting started here, I'll edit the rest in a bit later, computer issues.

If you are going to answer to alumni, then yes Peterson is better than Sark. Victories over Oregon is the Koolaid flavor.

For the last part, Boise St. Fans seem to really be unhappy with the QB they had running things this year.

kearly

Reaction score
DavidSeven":24gzt347 said:
True, but that was the very first time that Sark unveiled his Chip Kelly Jr. offense, so it's hard to fault Petersen for being unprepared. The UW Ducks tape didn't exist yet. Boise also had a down year, generally (for them).

Well, it was common knowledge that UW was switching to an Oregon style for months before that game. BSU had zero prep done and they had all offseason to plan for it. Could have at least watched some Oregon tape to get an idea. They failed to adjust as the game went on too.

kearly

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2993xrat said:
For the last part, Boise St. Fans seem to really be unhappy with the QB they had running things this year.

As far as "easy to hate" QBs go, Southwick was the perfect specimen. Christian Ponder skillset with Colin Kaepernick mental toughness. Smart QB though, and nifty. You can see why Petersen stuck with him too long despite some horrible flaws. Southwick is a very poor man's Tony Romo.

Subzero717

Reaction score
kearly":2esuhayq said:
DavidSeven":2esuhayq said:

Well, it was common knowledge that UW was switching to an Oregon style for months before that game. BSU had zero prep done and they had all offseason to plan for it. Could have at least watched some Oregon tape to get an idea. They failed to adjust as the game went on too.

Hearing someone is doing something and having tape of them do it is different.

kearly

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":31som39v said:

Fair point, they couldn't have known the exact plays and how to game plan them. That said, the D-line from that game played lights out, especially in regards to making tackles and staying assignment correct. The defense executed the game plan to near perfection, and still got blown out because the game plan was a complete and utter failure. I don't think we can just chalk that up not having certain plays prepared for and that's it. They just did not look ready for a no-huddle offense in general. You wouldn't expect UW to walk into Oregon in week 1 and put 600+ on them.

Subzero717

Reaction score
kearly":30ym8mop said:
CALIHAWK1":30ym8mop said:

Fair point, they couldn't have known the exact plays and how to game plan them. That said, the D-line from that game played lights out, especially in regards to making tackles and staying assignment correct. The defense executed the game plan to near perfection, and still got blown out because the game plan was a complete and utter failure. I don't think we can just chalk that up to a surprise factor. You wouldn't expect UW to walk into Oregon in week 1 and put 600+ on them.

No I don't expect UW to do that. I do know Oregon routinely walks in here and hang around 600 on us and we know what their going to do before they do it.

Fuzzman55

Reaction score
I'll be very, very interested to see which way UW goes on offense early on. All the trends say run the spread and pistol, and both UW and Boise did that this year, but I'm not crazy about going that way. I'm sure i'm being shortsighted, and if we get the right O coordinator it probably won't matter, but IMO Boise St was always much more dynamic with their motions and TEs than they were with a spread. As has been mentioned, the QB might have had a lot to do with it. We'll see.

As far as the hire goes, I love it. I was one of those that thought Washington would benefit from a coaching change. This might have been the best case in that scenario. Petersen is one of those coaches with a clear philosophy and voice, and he'l be a great leader for the program. I'm excited and I give major kudos to the UW brass for showing continual dedication to football over the last few years.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Cool stat that I don't think has been posted here yet:

Petersen is 8-2 in his career vs. the PAC-12. His only two losses are to UW.

:D

Seahawks4Ever

Reaction score
Everyone wanted Petersen and the Huskies land him. One would almost think that the HC job was Petersen's college dream job. Pat Haden has to be beside himself. Haden would have given up his left nut to have landed Petersen, yet, he couldn't. Pat now has to live with Sark, I would love to be a fly on the wall when Haden explains to the Alumni how they have to settle for Sark when the U-Dub gets one of the hottest coaches in college. Sark better win and win a lot and fast or he will be out the door and take Haden with him.

seahawk2k

Reaction score
Seahawks4Ever, I believe that Haden, after interviewing Petersen, decided to go in another direction. Petersen doesn't have the style to fit in LA, Haden knew that, and Petersen did too.

Latest posts