Chris Matthews needs to see some game time

crosfam

Reaction score
I hope(d) that with Graham getting more attention form the defense, some other receivers would get more balls, especially bigs like Matthews, Willson, maybe Lockette that don't otherwise get open as much. I think that helped Kearse get some balls last week. I don't think Graham will get nearly the catches he got with the Saints, but hope this is the byproduct, more open targets with the other guys.

RussB

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":3at7x8gm said:
Hendo66":3at7x8gm said:
Should be 6 total receptions. (Last play SB).
Dude is just a better WR than RL. Get his ass in the game.

After NE shifted Browner to Matthews he didn't catch another pass.
Because browner is 6'4. Theres no other cb's that tall. Anyone shorter matthews will probably burn in 1 on 1

MVP53

Reaction score
Paschtorian":1t3qauf1 said:
I'll take him over Ricardo Lockette,............ANY DAY (and I used to be a HUGE RL supporter).

It's just,.........Matthews does nothing but MAKE PLAYS!!!!!

I know, I know, I know,.........it was "Just the Superbowl",...............but REALLY?

What does this guy have to DO to get on the field?

You can't tell me it's because he's not as "highly-paid or drafted". What happened to "competition at EVERY position". This guy has earned it, and should see some prime-time in the games-to-come.

Just sayin'.

He's earned it based on what?

If he's inconsistent in practice, then he's probably inconsistent in games.

So, unless you have access to the film to know what he's doing when he's NOT thrown the ball, then you have no idea what he's earned.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I agree that Matthews needs more opportunities. He targeted once last Sunday and he caught the ball thrown to him. On the other hand, it seems that Jermaine Kearse is becoming the Seahawks #1 WR. Not because of ability but because of the amount of targets he seems to be receiving from Wilson. Here's the team stats from espn - http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/stats/_/name/sea.

This is been going on from the end of last season too. He targeted Kearse a lot late last season. So I'm concluding that Kearse is Wilson's primary WR and the rest are just secondary options. I don't really like the sound of Kearse being #1 WR. Kearse isn't terrible but not great either. He's what you call average. Average receivers aren't #1 WRs. Matthews has a potential to be a #1 or #2 WR if given enough targets or chances. He's got great size, good catching radius, great hands, and good speed. He's made most of the opportunities he's had in terms of balls thrown his way.

Veilside

Reaction score
hawkfan68":3qew17jd said:
I agree that Matthews needs more opportunities. He targeted once last Sunday and he caught the ball thrown to him. On the other hand, it seems that Jermaine Kearse is becoming the Seahawks #1 WR. Not because of ability but because of the amount of targets he seems to be receiving from Wilson. Here's the team stats from espn - http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/stats/_/name/sea.

This is been going on from the end of last season too. He targeted Kearse a lot late last season. So I'm concluding that Kearse is Wilson's primary WR and the rest are just secondary options. I don't really like the sound of Kearse being #1 WR. Kearse isn't terrible but not great either. He's what you call average. Average receivers aren't #1 WRs. Matthews has a potential to be a #1 or #2 WR if given enough targets or chances. He's got great size, good catching radius, great hands, and good speed. He's made most of the opportunities he's had in terms of balls thrown his way.

I don't think you'll have to worry about that all too much longer. Lockett is probably going to be Wilson's top target eventually this season (health permitting). He's just too good at getting separation for Wilson to ignore for long. Last season Richardson was starting to get more looks until he got injured. With Graham, Lockett and now Jackson, this offense is going to take a large step up if the O-line improves which I believe it will. Kearse will be slowly phased out is my guess.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Lockette only played 5 snaps.

This isn't Lockette vs. Matthews. If you want Matthews to play more, you have to take one of the starters off the field.

netskier

Reaction score
Hawkstorian, I recall that Matthews caught one nine yard pass after Browner switched to him, thus occupying Browner, and exposing the defense to the next tallest receiver. Do you have evidence for your claim that Browner shut down Matthews? I don't yet have evidence beyond my almost positive memory, but we can check the records.

netskier

Reaction score
MVP 53, Matthews has already been consistent in the two games he has been targeted. Why do you think that practice is a better predictor than games?

netskier

Reaction score
Matthews may have practicing inconsistency problems, but it is now clear to me that the bigger problem is with his coaches, who kept hook out of the games, until Pete over road then, and ORDERED them to play Mathews in the Superbowl, where he was arguably the offensive MVP of Seattle.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
DavidSeven said:

This isn't Lockette vs. Matthews. If you want Matthews to play more, you have to take one of the starters off the field.[/quote

Agreed, the anger is directed at the wrong player. The usual hate train should be Kearse directed, not Lockette directed. Unless you're mad at the other Lockett, who was the only player not named Kearse or Baldwin to get a decent number of snaps.

Code:
Player	Team	Position	Started	Total Snaps	Off Snaps	Off Snap Pct	Def Snaps	Def Snap Pct	ST Snaps	ST Snap Pct
11-B.Daniels	SEA	WR	NO	0	0	0.0%	0	0.0%	0	0.0%
13-C.Matthews	SEA	WR	NO	7	3	4.0%	0	0.0%	4	12.0%
15-J.Kearse	SEA	WR	YES	80	76	92.0%	0	0.0%	4	12.0%
16-T.Lockett	SEA	WR	NO	68	58	70.0%	0	0.0%	10	30.0%
83-R.Lockette	SEA	WR	NO	14	5	6.0%	0	0.0%	9	27.0%
89-D.Baldwin	SEA	WR	YES	78	77	93.0%	0	0.0%	1	3.0%

MVP53

Reaction score
netskier":2mmggehl said:
MVP 53, Matthews has already been consistent in the two games he has been targeted. Why do you think that practice is a better predictor than games?

What is he doing on the plays he's not thrown the ball?

Maybe he's not getting thrown to because he's either not open, or not where he's supposed to be.

Or maybe Wilson is just playing favorites?

Veilside

Reaction score
netskier":3nvraepd said:
who kept hook out of the games

For a second there I thought I missed out on a new nickname that had caught on

Chris (Captain Hook) Matthews

MVP53

Reaction score
netskier":21tn396i said:
Matthews may have practicing inconsistency problems, but it is now clear to me that the bigger problem is with his coaches, who kept hook out of the games, until Pete over road then, and ORDERED them to play Mathews in the Superbowl, where he was arguably the offensive MVP of Seattle.

So Pete only overrode them in the Super Bowl? And has since gone back to letting him wallow on the bench?

You realize how little sense that makes?

MVP53

Reaction score
bmorepunk":2ov3hekt said:
DavidSeven":2ov3hekt said:

This isn't Lockette vs. Matthews. If you want Matthews to play more, you have to take one of the starters off the field.[/quote

Agreed, the anger is directed at the wrong player. The usual hate train should be Kearse directed, not Lockette directed. Unless you're mad at the other Lockett, who was the only player not named Kearse or Baldwin to get a decent number of snaps.

Code:
Player	Team	Position	Started	Total Snaps	Off Snaps	Off Snap Pct	Def Snaps	Def Snap Pct	ST Snaps	ST Snap Pct
11-B.Daniels	SEA	WR	NO	0	0	0.0%	0	0.0%	0	0.0%
13-C.Matthews	SEA	WR	NO	7	3	4.0%	0	0.0%	4	12.0%
15-J.Kearse	SEA	WR	YES	80	76	92.0%	0	0.0%	4	12.0%
16-T.Lockett	SEA	WR	NO	68	58	70.0%	0	0.0%	10	30.0%
83-R.Lockette	SEA	WR	NO	14	5	6.0%	0	0.0%	9	27.0%
89-D.Baldwin	SEA	WR	YES	78	77	93.0%	0	0.0%	1	3.0%

Or the anger could be directed at Matthews, who despite obvious ability & size is apparently not consistent enough to garner more snaps & targets.

Just a thought.

netskier

Reaction score
Matthews caught the one pass thrown to him, for a one hundred percent rate, which I consider good. The coaches kept him from being thrown to ask last season and playoffs until the Superbowl.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
netskier":290jks1n said:
Hawkstorian, I recall that Matthews caught one nine yard pass after Browner switched to him, thus occupying Browner, and exposing the defense to the next tallest receiver. Do you have evidence for your claim that Browner shut down Matthews? I don't yet have evidence beyond my almost positive memory, but we can check the records.

Haha I'm not emotionally invested enough in my view to check it out the details, but sounds like we agree that Matthews had less success after NE adjusted.

netskier

Reaction score
He played against the Rams and caught the one pass thrown to him. Rebounder's can catch balls thrown high forcing high jumps to catch the ball.

I have written here about my concept of VERTICAL separation, which is independent of the normal horizontal separation.

netskier

Reaction score
Matthews just his shoulder covering a kick in preseason. Maybe he can not use it to reach or fight for a high ball yet. I don't recall the coaches informing us about this.

Latest posts