CB Artie Burns to Seattle $2 million

Hawknight

Reaction score
Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter

Former Bears’ cornerback Artie Burns is going to the Seahawks on a one-year $2 million deal, per his agents
@DrewJRosenhaus
and
@NFLrecord

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
Former 1st round pick. On his 3rd team. Hopefully the 3rd times the charm.

OP
OP
Hawknight

Hawknight

Reaction score
Mistashoesta":1aid6avz said:
Former 1st round pick. On his 3rd team. Hopefully the 3rd times the charm.

Pete loves giving outside players 2nd and 3rd chances.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
He has worked with Sean Desai in Chicago. Worth a flyer and may be our next DJ Reed. I don't think we should spend $10+ Mil APY on a CB until we have our front 7 bolstered. Pete has churned through mid rd and FA CB's and we have managed just fine. Every year I wonder how much better our Secondary would have been if we had even a slightly above average pass rush. Been hard to get pressure since Bennett and Avril have left.

Reaction score
Never feels good to pick up a CB with "Burn" in his name - but hopefully I'm wrong. ;)

flmmkrz

Reaction score
QuahHawk":1h33h20x said:
He has worked with Sean Desai in Chicago. Worth a flyer and may be our next DJ Reed. I don't think we should spend $10+ Mil APY on a CB until we have our front 7 bolstered. Pete has churned through mid rd and FA CB's and we have managed just fine. Every year I wonder how much better our Secondary would have been if we had even a slightly above average pass rush. Been hard to get pressure since Bennett and Avril have left.

This is the pivotal info, Desai obviously liked him enough to recommend him to the team. Could be a player to keep an eye on.

TreeRon

Reaction score
People keep mentioning this guy for depth, that guy for depth. Aren't we supposed to have a starter in those positions that is better than the depth? Seems the last few years we've had a team full of depth.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
TreeRon":2vbzx56a said:
People keep mentioning this guy for depth, that guy for depth. Aren't we supposed to have a starter in those positions that is better than the depth? Seems the last few years we've had a team full of depth.

Always Compete! When a starter emerges because steel sharpens steel your whole team is better.

JPatera76

Reaction score
my in laws are chicago fans, and love this kid. they said hes an average to capable of being above average CB just needs good coaching

Spohawks

Reaction score
He will make his way on the field and 2 million for a contributor is a steal.

FREAKING PLAYOFFS BABY!!

Seattle Person

Reaction score
Burns is a hedge with upside. Nothing wrong with the contract or the player. If Browns breaks out in camp then give him the job. If Jones gets injured then Burns is there. 2 million to maybe be a backup? Not horrible.

They should also draft a rookie to make it a solid group 4.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Never feels good to pick up a CB with "Burn" in his name - but hopefully I'm wrong. ;)
Makes me wonder if "Toast" Patterson is still available and maybe has tread left on his tires, and can lock down the other side from "Burns"? ;-) He's gotta be younger than Tom Brady, right?

olyfan63

Reaction score
Burns is a hedge with upside. Nothing wrong with the contract or the player. If Browns breaks out in camp then give him the job. If Jones gets injured then Burns is there. 2 million to maybe be a backup? Not horrible.
Lack of serviceable DB depth in SB has cost Seattle TWO Superb Owls. So this is probably what Pete is thinking.
1) SBXL, we lost S Marquand Manuel in 1st half, and his replacement was man-off-the-street Etric Pruitt. Stealers noticed and took advantage in 2nd half.
2) SBXLIX, we lost Jeremy Lane to broken arm + ACL, on his return of picking off Brady in EZ. Insert Tharald "Toast" Simon and Patriots target him repeatedly FTW.

If Burns can be serviceable CB depth when starter(s) go down, it's a win to have an actual NFL-level replacement to plug in, and for $2M. Maybe even blossom in Seattle into starter quality, a Byron Maxwell in reverse? (Maxwell starred in Seattle, sucked for other teams after he left) Coaching up DBs is Pete's specialty, it's what he played in college. Well, with Tre Flowers, not so much.

Latest posts