Cary Williams situation not very "seahawk-y"

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
hawknation2015":14jal4f2 said:
flmmkrz":14jal4f2 said:
hawknation2015":14jal4f2 said:
captSE":14jal4f2 said:
Saw one play Williams did good on. Oh yeah, he should have gotten flagged for pass interference but didn't get caught.

Anyone is better than this so called
veteran - Get rid of the bum.

:les:

I didn't see anything close to a PI from Williams in this game.

Once again, groupthink.

then you were off refilling your nachos and turned away from the screen cause it was pretty damn close to PI, don't know how you miss it.

Can you identify the play with any specificity?

He's talking about a long pass to Ginn that Cam overthrew and the ref let it go. This came after Ginn had Cary beat but Avril got to Cam and caused an INT.

Again though, my defense of Cary is that everyone seems to rail against him because he's not an "OG" member of the LOB. The cold truth is, right now his play has been on par with his counterparts in the secondary. But no one would dare say "CUT SHERM!" "CUT KAM!" "CUT EARL!"

massari's revisionist history of free agency is also incredibly amusing.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Williams has struggled as of late, but wasn't that to be expected?

Let's talk about the other corner who we made the highest paid CB in the league last year. Shouldn't Sherman have more picks than PI and "miscommunications?"

Dude's played like absolute crap. Frankly, I don't see the fire anymore. Glad he got paid and had a baby, but it's made him soft and play uninspired football.

We could get by with Williams if the REAL members of the LOB played like they're used to playing. They're not, ESPECIALLY Sherman.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":uavs3x5x said:
hawknation2015":uavs3x5x said:
flmmkrz":uavs3x5x said:
hawknation2015":uavs3x5x said:
I didn't see anything close to a PI from Williams in this game.

Once again, groupthink.

then you were off refilling your nachos and turned away from the screen cause it was pretty damn close to PI, don't know how you miss it.

Can you identify the play with any specificity?

He's talking about a long pass to Ginn that Cam overthrew and the ref let it go. This came after Ginn had Cary beat but Avril got to Cam and caused an INT.

Again though, my defense of Cary is that everyone seems to rail against him because he's not an "OG" member of the LOB. The cold truth is, right now his play has been on par with his counterparts in the secondary. But no one would dare say "CUT SHERM!" "CUT KAM!" "CUT EARL!"

massari's revisionist history of free agency is also incredibly amusing.

If that is the play everyone is talking about, i.e. Kam's INT, I didn't notice any PI from Williams there.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":b9fe27om said:
Williams has struggled as of late, but wasn't that to be expected?

Let's talk about the other corner who we made the highest paid CB in the league last year. Shouldn't Sherman have more picks than PI and "miscommunications?"

Dude's played like absolute crap. Frankly, I don't see the fire anymore. Glad he got paid and had a baby, but it's made him soft and play uninspired football.

We could get by with Williams if the REAL members of the LOB played like they're used to playing. They're not, ESPECIALLY Sherman.

Bingo.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Having re-watched that play now, Williams does not appear to even touch Ginn. One of the TV announcers is bellyaching about how "Williams was beat," but he appears to be running stride for stride with him. The major separation does not occur until AFTER Newton had already released the ball, while being hit by Avril, and it would have been clear at that point from the ball's trajectory that it was about to land in the middle of the field. That is when Williams lets up.

massari

Reaction score
hawknation2015":1c45gid8 said:
massari":1c45gid8 said:
hawknation2015":1c45gid8 said:
We would not have needed Carry Williams if our developmental prospect, Tharold Simon, did not prove to be injury prone. He played great for the entire regular season last year, then gets hurt again and plays like hot garbage. There was no way they were going to be able to rely on Simon this season. Thankfully, they did not. Instead of complaining about a player who is actually playing reasonably well, perhaps we should be commending the team for their foresight. Without the Williams signing, we might now have a rookie starting at cornerback.

Williams is very much a "Seahawk-y" player: aggressive man coverage (sometime too aggressive) and ability to contest a jump ball, 33" arms, and great athleticism for his size with 4.4 speed. I hate to think where we would be without him

But why didn't they go after cheaper CB's like Tillman(2M), Alan Ball(3M), Tarell Brown(2M) who seem just as productive as Williams(7M) except way cheaper? (Tarell Brown is on the season ending IR so probably got lucky there).

And why did Williams get way more money then those guys, I don't get it.

Because they needed a starter-quality player. Tillman is 34 years old, Brown had a history of foot problems, and Ball has also been hurt a lot over the last couple years.

Ball and Tillman are playing good enough/healthy so far. if injuries were the concern, they needed to take a gamble given how bad the OL is/was.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
massari":9ox5g53u said:
hawknation2015":9ox5g53u said:
massari":9ox5g53u said:
hawknation2015":9ox5g53u said:
We would not have needed Carry Williams if our developmental prospect, Tharold Simon, did not prove to be injury prone. He played great for the entire regular season last year, then gets hurt again and plays like hot garbage. There was no way they were going to be able to rely on Simon this season. Thankfully, they did not. Instead of complaining about a player who is actually playing reasonably well, perhaps we should be commending the team for their foresight. Without the Williams signing, we might now have a rookie starting at cornerback.

Williams is very much a "Seahawk-y" player: aggressive man coverage (sometime too aggressive) and ability to contest a jump ball, 33" arms, and great athleticism for his size with 4.4 speed. I hate to think where we would be without him

But why didn't they go after cheaper CB's like Tillman(2M), Alan Ball(3M), Tarell Brown(2M) who seem just as productive as Williams(7M) except way cheaper? (Tarell Brown is on the season ending IR so probably got lucky there).

And why did Williams get way more money then those guys, I don't get it.

Because they needed a starter-quality player. Tillman is 34 years old, Brown had a history of foot problems, and Ball has also been hurt a lot over the last couple years.

Ball and Tillman are playing good enough/healthy so far. if injuries were the concern, they needed to take a gamble given how bad the OL is/was.

I think Williams is playing better than either one of them. It's a difficult position to play opposite Richard Sherman. QBs are constantly looking for you, and play callers are scheming it. You are going to get a lot of balls thrown your way. I remember people complaining constantly about Byron Maxwell when we were losing games at the beginning of last year. Being the sacrificial lamb is kind of the nature of the position.

massari

Reaction score
hawknation2015":1j93vp4l said:
I think Williams is playing better than either one of them. It's a difficult position to play opposite Richard Sherman. QBs are constantly looking for you, and play callers are scheming it. You are going to get a lot of balls thrown your way. I remember people complaining constantly about Byron Maxwell when we were losing games at the beginning of last year. Being the sacrificial lamb is kind of the nature of the position.

I'll take your word for it since I've only seen Tillman/Ball against the Seahawks.

But the OL needed some help so Tillman/Ball seems like the way they should've went. To me anyways.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
marko358":1euti7zy said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/evansilva/status/657199465758138368[/tweet]

Further proof that PFF is awful.

His one terrible outing the last 3 weeks was against the Bengals. He held his own against Calvin Johnson and was fine against Carolina.

We have bigger problems on this team than Cary Williams.

massari

Reaction score
marko358":252kxjb5 said:
Ouch.

Although, I imagine he'd do pretty well if they were ranking the most overpaid CB's. He covers that category pretty well.

ivotuk

Reaction score
hawknation2015":3h0ftesc said:

Williams is very much a "Seahawk-y" player: aggressive man coverage (sometime too aggressive) and ability to contest a jump ball, 33" arms, and great athleticism for his size with 4.4 speed. I hate to think where we would be without him.

This board is falling into the same boring trap it always does, which is to blame what is new or the unknown, without actually putting any modicum of brain power into independently analyzing the situation. That is our groupthink.

Best response yet, even though there were a couple of good ones.

There is/was no one else to replace him with, and that's part of the reason he got $6 million. I disliked him to begin with, but unlike the rest of our DBs, he has no experience in this system. I see him steadily improving each game and once he gets the technique, the defense, and the calls down, he's going to look like a steal at $6 million by the end of the season.

Admittedly, he's made some glaring mistakes, but he is in no way the reason why this team has lost 4 games. The biggest factor is Cable, and his overconfidence in his ability to put together an offensive line out of a matchbox, rubber bands and a used condom.

I have faith in Cabes though, he has chosen some brutish players, who aren't very smart, but once he gets them tuned up, imaho, we will have a Top Ten OLine. My main gripe is that he needs to simplify things for them.

"Get in the way of the guy in front of you, if you're able to get him on the ground, look for someone else to kill." Instead they have what appear to be complicated "chip this guy and get to the 2nd and 3rd level as fast as you can" calls that allow free runners to the QB/RB every other snap. STOP IT! Stop having them block to the left on one play, then to the right on the next play, then double, then single, then second level. It's like telling a baby to wipe it's own ass before it can even talk or walk!

I get so pissed when I see those missed blocks and Britt is trying to block a DB who dances around him and makes him fall on his face! UgH!

Carey Willimas is a decent defensive back who will only get better. Sure he's not "Seahawk-Y" But he doesn't need to be. Just play his assignment, and let the other 10 guys, many of them All-Pros, take care of business, which they haven't been doing on a consistent basis.

We can only pay so many defensive stand outs, there have to be fillers here and there on the team. Byron Maxwell left for $10 million, we saved $4 Million by signing Carey over him. That's another good player we can put on the roster.

So don't blame Carey, he's a good DB who will only get better.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
bbsplitter":1y954v4p said:
First of all, I am not trying to add to the outright negativity going around, but the Seahawks are not acting like themselves with Cary Williams. Like Percy Harvin, they overpaid. Unlike Percy Harvin, they do not seem ready to a dress it as a mistake and at least let him ride the bench for a while. Truth is that he has had some horrible games, and the Seahawks of old would have had him on the bench after the first half - because always compete and the next man is ready to step up. I'm not saying Cary Williams won't turn it around - he very well might. But it seems like there is no competition or threat to his position.

You're right, there is no competition.

Lane's hurt, Burley's hurt, Simon's the most brittle Hawk player ever.

But if we're saying Williams isn't fitting in, let's not forget the guy across from him is having his worst season as a hawk as a top two paid supposed shut down all pro CB. Sherman stinks right now.

So if you want to help Williams out, then let's get Sherman back to form so we can shade the defense over to Williams side to help him out. Cause right now teams are attacking both corners without any fear.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
massari":208p1pwv said:
marko358":208p1pwv said:
Ouch.

Although, I imagine he'd do pretty well if they were ranking the most overpaid CB's. He covers that category pretty well.

4.6M is most overpaid?

The Eagles would like to speak to you about the corner they just signed.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-seah ... -williams/

I bet you're the dude that thinks NFL QB's actually make that gaudy figure that's reported after they sign the contract huh?

massari

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1rwuuoon said:
massari":1rwuuoon said:
marko358":1rwuuoon said:
Ouch.

4.6M is most overpaid?

The Eagles would like to speak to you about the corner they just signed.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-seah ... -williams/

I bet you're the dude that thinks NFL QB's actually make that gaudy figure that's reported after they sign the contract huh?

First off, I didn't say he was the most overpaid. I can see how that was mistaken, I guess. That title belongs to Maxwell like you say.

Secondly, it's not 4.6M. It's 7M guaranteed for one season. He gets 4.66M this season and when they cut him after this season there'll be 2.33M in dead money against the cap next season.

Thirdly, I have no idea what the fck that statement about QB's means. :lol:

47degreesn

Reaction score
Think about this. Cary Williams is the only player in the secondary in recent years where we had to move to a different spot because he couldn't handle his own (AJ Green) had to put Sherman on him.

He is a liability, and it may get into the rest of the secondaries head when they may have to think about what's happening on Cary's side when he's giving up play after play.

Latest posts