Carroll falls to #4 in Sporting News Coach Rankings

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
If you're still curious, here is Sporting News' explanation for Doug Pederon's #2 ranking:

2. Doug Pederson, Eagles

Last year: 22
Record: 20-12, .625
Playoffs: 3-0, 1.000

Too soon? It's really not. Pederson's aggressive approach gave the Eagles their first Super Bowl, and he was able to do it with a backup quarterback in Nick Foles. Carson Wentz's return means the Eagles will be the NFC favorites again, and their social awareness as a team will continue to be in focus. Pederson will have this team ready to defend that title. This is worth the 20-spot jump, and then some. He's the best competition for Belichick.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/list/nf ... nc/slide/2

Seymour

Reaction score
hawknation2018":3ho9r0m9 said:
Seymour":3ho9r0m9 said:
Not sure why I bother....slow day I suppose. No, it would NOT be a power ranking!! Coaches can underachieve and overachieve beyond their strength of roster.

A coach absolutely does not "get 20 spots better" as a coach in 1 year....period!! They are weighting the rankings based on 2017 results and what they had to work with.....period. Bye now.

It's funny how adamant you are about this . . . despite having admitted to not reading the list.

Have a good one! :p

Beating head against the wall...like always with you! You just posted the list, and I explained why...PETERSON shows this is obvious!!

Then you confirm it....

This is worth the 20-spot jump

THIS....happens to be what he did in 2017! :roll: :roll:

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Seymour":2swk6s53 said:
hawknation2018":2swk6s53 said:
Seymour":2swk6s53 said:
Not sure why I bother....slow day I suppose. No, it would NOT be a power ranking!! Coaches can underachieve and overachieve beyond their strength of roster.

A coach absolutely does not "get 20 spots better" as a coach in 1 year....period!! They are weighting the rankings based on 2017 results and what they had to work with.....period. Bye now.

It's funny how adamant you are about this . . . despite having admitted to not reading the list.

Have a good one! :p

Beating head against the wall...like always with you! You just posted the list, and I explained why...PETERSON shows this is obvious!!

And I explained to you (very delicately, I thought) that you are wrong. This list is clearly based on the totality, not just one year. The career records that are listed for each coach, the accolades of the past are mentioned, and they are also taking into account a future projection of what each coach is capable of going forward. That is what the typical coach ranking does; they look at the totality.

Pederson's year was so spectacular, and his future so bright, that they were willing to overlook his skimpy resume and the potential risk that he is just a one-hit wonder.

Seymour

Reaction score
Not totality! Gruden would NOT be 16.....and Peterson would NOT be 2 and Harbaugh would not be 1 ahead of McVay if this was strictly totality.

In other words. This is a bullshit poll according to your definition.

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Seymour":20ezpbiy said:
Not totality! Gruden would NOT be 16.....and Peterson would NOT be 2 and Harbaugh would not be 1 ahead of McVay if this was strictly totality.

In other words. This is a bullshit poll according to your definition.

Sigh, you're still arguing about a list (by which I mean the article, in full, with explanations) that you haven't read. :roll:

They explain that they have Jon Gruden ranked low, despite his Super Bowl, because he hasn't coached in a decade.

16. Jon Gruden, Raiders

Last year: NR
Record: 95-81, .540
Playoffs: 5-4, .556

Gruden is the hardest coach to rank. On one hand, we know he is a Super Bowl-winning coach who has four seasons with 10 wins or more to his credit. That Super Bowl, however, was in 2002; he hasn't coached since 2008. Will Gruden be enough to revive an Oakland franchise that underachieved in 2017? We'll compromise by putting him right in the middle of the list.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/list/nf ... c/slide/16

Totality means you consider everything. All good now?

Vaclav44

Reaction score
You guys are really making me laugh. No offense meant at that. One of you reminds me of someone at my work, but I won't say who!

Vaclav44

Reaction score
You guys are really making me laugh. No offense meant at that. One of you reminds me of someone at my work, but I won't say who!

Latest posts